ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Low clock speeds on x299 platform

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RelevantUsername Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low clock speeds on x299 platform
    Posted: 12 Sep 2023 at 12:47am
For the past 3 years I have been using an overclocked 10940x with very few issues, but sometime early this year my CPU would max out at 3.8GHz.

The Overclock is set to 4.8 on 12 cores, and 5.0 on two cores.
Both running at stock settings and attempting to lock the cores to a specific frequency results in the same 3.8Ghz max clock.

I have swapped between a 10940x and 9980XE on both an x299 Taichi XE and x299 Taichi CLX with the same result, the core clocks always max out at 3.8GHz.

Testing was conducted using cinebench and CPU-Z to generate a constant light load, any combination of thread count resulted in the same 3.8Ghz clock speed.
Monitoring was conducted using HWInfo64, temps were below 70C, power for 10940X was <120w and for the 9980XE it was <180W, power limits were set to unlimited.

Recently I came across a post of a 6800K user with a similar issue.
https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/16fnp5m/6800k_overclocking_issues_wont_draw_past_30w/

I'm very sure the issue is a windows update or a microcode update provided by windows misconfiguring the CPU, I'm just hoping a BIOS update can fix the issue.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic