ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

TPM module 2.0? - Do I even need/want one?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegreywizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TPM module 2.0? - Do I even need/want one?
    Posted: 15 May 2016 at 3:10am
I have an X99m Extreme4 mobo with Samsung 850 Pro SSDs

So I think I'm going to get a TPM module, it seems Asrock has a 1.2 & 2.0 version - I guess I would want to get the 2.0 version?  But I don't see it for sale any where, but they do have it listed on their website?

Or is the 1.2 version fine?  

I currently run Ubuntu 16.04 and Win7 and have no plans on using Win10 or Bitlocker and aready have my SSDs encrypted via the ATA Password - so do I even need/want a TPM module?

If I added this TPM module, I would have to enter a BIOS password before entering my ATA passwords for my SSDs before my system would start up?

Not sure if it's need/wanted, but I know you can also include biometrics with a TPM module and a fingerprint scanner in conjunction with my ATA passwords is something I would consider, this way the only way to decrypt my entire system would require both a 32 byte passphrase and also biometrics.

Thoughts?

Edited by thegreywizard - 15 May 2016 at 3:12am
thegreywizard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegreywizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 8:59am
I think I've decided I want a TPM as part of my system, now I just need to figure out if I want to find a 2.0 or just get the easily available 1.2?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 1:02pm
I have never used one in any of my systems (aside from the one in my old Dell laptop) so I am afraid I can't really help.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegreywizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 1:58pm
I'm going to try and contact Asrock, I'd really like to get the new TPM 2.0 - I'd imagine it has even higher encryption vs the 128 the 1.2v has.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegreywizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 6:56am
Still trying to locate/order Asrocks TPM 2.0 module - anyone have any ideas?  They have it listed on their website but I can't seem to find a retailer who offers it and I haven't heard back from them in regards to it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegreywizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2016 at 3:05am
I've been told my Asrock USA that the TPM 2.0 will not be available in the US.  If/when it does become available overseas I will still try and pick one up, hopefully I will not have any compatibility issues.  I've also asked Asrock if I would if I buy one from overseas.  I don't think I will, but you never know. 

I'm going to pick up the 1.2v for now.  The 1.2v is only 128 bit encryption though while I believe 2.0 is 256 bit.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic