ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

x470D4U - Stuck in VLAN ID Setting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siven505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: x470D4U - Stuck in VLAN ID Setting
    Posted: 21 Sep 2023 at 7:24pm
My specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500
RAM: 2x Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CTDQ 16GB 2RX8 PC4-21300 PC4-2666V ECC UDIMM
MB: ASRock Rack X470D4U

I built this setup for a homelab for me to install proxmox and start learning different cybersecurity principles while I'm at college. However, I can not for the life of me get this board to post. The Dr.Debug code is 95 which I know is "The graphics card or iGPU could not be recognized." according to this webpage https://www.asrock.com/support/index.asp?cat=Debug. The only thing I can get to show on screen is "Waiting for BMC Initializing" and counts down for 90 seconds. Then it will display "BMC VLAN Setting 62". I was able to access the IPMI I tried to update the firmware to start then I was going to update the BIOS. When I uploaded the image file it said it would restart and flash the system and there was no change so I went ahead and restarted the system and have not been able to access the IPMI. If you need more information I can try to provide. I'm still learning how server builds work so if I'm missing something please let me know! Should I contact the seller on amazon and get a replacement board? Thank you!
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 2:10am
The latest BMC is pretty old (2021-09-10), so you'd think a recently purchased board would come with it, but then, maybe it's an old stock.

When I bought mine, over 2 years ago, I needed to update both BMC and BIOS, as I'm using R3-3300X.

Definitely update BMC first, and then BIOS, without ever trying to start the system. I used a Chromium based browser (Brave). I vaguely recall Firefox not working correctly. Make sure to disable any sort of script blockers, etc.

I'd hope BMC update has a fail safe, but if something went wrong there, it could be ugly. Maybe there's a way to boot into a normal OS using an older chip, like 2000-series Ryzen, and re-flash the BMC from there.

Did you try the dedicated IPMI port (Realtek controller)? Did you have a DHCP server on that net, so it can get an IP address? I'm not sure what IP address it would start with if you don't have a DHCP server on that LAN.

No other ideas.

On an unrelated note, I'm using the latest publicly released BETA BIOS (AGESA 1.2.0.7), and the auto-detect for PCIe mux didn't work, so I had to go into BIOS and force it to split it to x8/x8, so it can see both cards. Weird.

Edited by eccential - 22 Sep 2023 at 2:13am
Siven505 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siven505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 3:18am
I have the system plugged into my router which it did assign an IP for the board. I did try the dedicated IPMI port I was able to access the system for a brief period of time. I guess I should have updated the BMC first but I tried to update the firmware and I have not been able to access it since. I'm not sure if the usb ports are disabled or if they do not work but I've tried plugging in a keyboard to see if I could get into the bios but the keyboard never turns on. I hope that makes sense. I go ahead and try to boot it back up and see if it will let me connect to the IPMI.
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 7:32am
Remember, for BMC stuff, you don't need to boot the computer. You just power it and give it a couple of minutes for the BMC to start. It runs off 5VSB (Standby).

I just noticed you bought a R5-5500. I think that is a bad choice for this board. First it's not listed in the supported list (which may or may not matter), but more importantly, ECC memory won't work. I mean, it might not work at all, or it might "work" but not in ECC mode.

My understanding is that for Raven Ridge, Picasso, Renoir, and Cezanne CPUs, only PRO versions support ECC memory. R5-5500 is actually R5-5600G with the iGPU disabled, so it's Cezanne based.

I know PRO versions of the APUs (4650G, 4750G, 5650G, 5750G, etc.) are kind of hard to purchase from a reputable vendor. I actually own a PRO 2200GE and PRO 4560G, but for X470D4U build, I went with an R3-3300X, as I didn't need the iGPU.
Siven505 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siven505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 7:46am
Oh, I did not know the R5-5500 was a R5-5600G with the iGPU disabled. I should have done more research. So maybe I should go for the pro version CPUs. So if I get one of the pro versions, do you think that should solve my problem 100%? Thank you for the feedback eccential by the way I really appreciate it!
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 9:13am
The rule is, non-APUs all support ECC, but only PRO APUs support ECC.
As I said, that's why I picked R3-3300X for my X470D4U.
I would recommend something like R5-5600 if you can get it for cheap.
It's Vemeer chip with full 32MB L3 and no iGPU.

The problem with PRO APUs (or CPUs) is that, they're not sold in retail markets.
I had to buy a Lenovo machine to extract the R3 PRO 2200GE (but I was able to make the Lenovo work by putting in a retail Athlon 200GE). I bought the R5 PRO 4650G from Hong Kong. Newer Lenovo will vendor-lock the CPUs, so they won't work in anything but Lenovo motherboards. I swore off Lenovo since then.

I can't be sure if it will fix your issues, though.
For one, I believe you should be able to access IPMI and update BCM firmware and BIOS firmware even without a CPU!!! The main power is never even applied to the board! Only the BCM is powered.

So even if the CPU you installed isn't supported, you should still be able to access BCM through IPMI and mess with that part, assuming your power supply is giving it 5VSB power.
Siven505 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siven505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2023 at 6:09pm
So last night before I saw you had recommended the R5-5600, I went on ebay and compared the prices of the PRO cpus and found a AMD Ryzen 5 Pro 3400GE YD340BC6M4MFH for $54. So I went ahead and ordered it. I will be troubleshoot the BMC more and I hope I can find a way to get in there before the cpu gets here.

Last time I was able to get on the IPMI and attempt to update the firmware. I uploaded the image provided by asrocks support and when it uploaded nothing happened so I left it alone for a good bit there was no change so I restarted the computer and haven't been able to access the IPMI.

I have spectrum and when I boot up the app(I wish it was a desktop GUI instead of the mobile app) I've been checking the list of devices to see if it's even connecting to the DHCP server and there is no connection. I'm not sure why.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic