ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Problem with PCie 3.0 x16 and PCie 2.0 x4 slots
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Problem with PCie 3.0 x16 and PCie 2.0 x4 slots

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CentQuirats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problem with PCie 3.0 x16 and PCie 2.0 x4 slots
    Posted: 09 Oct 2023 at 5:51pm
I warmly welcome everyone,
Asrock ZH77 pro3 motherboard, i3-3250 processor. For some time now, the external video card in the Pcie 3.0 x16 slot began to turn off (the screen went dark and then turned on on its own). Then this problem worsened - the video card driver began to fail, the video card itself was disabled in the device manager. Then the problem worsened even more - when the video card was running in the Pcie 3.0 x16 slot, there was no image on the monitor, although the cooler was spinning and the OS apparently started. As soon as I let the computer ?śrest??for 8 hours, the video card in the Pcie 3.0 x16 slot began to work, albeit briefly, and when entering the BIOS the computer slowed down terribly, but as soon as I switched to the built-in graphics core, the lags completely disappeared. I tried installing another video card without additional power, the symptoms were still the same.
After that, I tried to run an external video card in the Pcie 2.0 x4 slot - it didn?™t work, and a video card without external power in the Pcie 2.0 x4 slot worked, however, after a couple of days this video card in the Pcie 2.0 x4 slot stopped working.
What has been done and tested:
- reflash BIOS
- I removed the CMOS battery,
- the power supply is checked with a multimeter and via AIDA,
- replaced thermal paste on the processor and chipset,
- the socket legs are not jammed, opened and checked,
- there are no broken capacitors in the PCie 3.0 x16 slot,
- RAM was rearranged in different orders,
- OS reinstalled.
I would like to figure out which of the two things is faulty: the processor or the motherboard? It seems like the processor is responsible for the Pcie 3.0 x16 bus, and the Pcie 2.0 x4 bus is powered through the chipset. I ask you to give advice.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic