ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

B650M PG Riptide WiFi display help.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fleggett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B650M PG Riptide WiFi display help.
    Posted: 12 Oct 2023 at 1:47pm
Before I get into my display issues, can someone tell me what AMD driver I should be running for the igpu? When I first installed Windows 11, it pulled down the AMD Adrenalin suite, which was giving me some grief. However, just now as a lark, I installed 2.0.0.3 of the auto driver application just to see what it would find. Surprisingly, it pulled down an entirely different driver that seems to've blown away the entire Adrenalin suite in favor of its own, which turned out to be 31.0.22017.1011 dated 10/04/2023.

So, which is it? Adrenalin or this other driver? I noticed on Asrock's webpage for this motherboard that the latest display driver listed is 22.40.70.230620a dated 7/21/2023, which I guess is technically a third option, so I'm more than a little confused.

Of some note is that this non-Adrenalin driver doesn't seem to have ANY fine-tuning ability, as it just shunts to Windows' display settings, which is a little disturbing. Is that normal?

Thanks in advance.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2023 at 2:31pm
Go to AMD's driver page, select your product from the dropdown menus then download
and install the latest driver it recommends. That will be the most up to date, feature
complete driver available for your iGPU.
fleggett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fleggett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2023 at 2:44am
Hrrr. That means going back to the Adrenalin suite, which was causing me problems before.

Joy.

Well, I guess you gotta do what you gotta do. I'll install it and will report back my results.
fleggett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fleggett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2023 at 10:50am
Okay, I've installed the latest Adrenalin suite, 23.10.1. I should note that it app crashed the first time I tried to invoke it after install, but worked thereafter.

My system is a 7900X3D with 128 GB of Corsair Vengeance 6400MHz ram. It's powered by a 1000 watt Silverstone SX1000R PSU (an expensive model). Nothing is being overclocked and I'm on 1.28 of the bios (I'll upgrade to 1.30 once it gets out of beta). Windows 11 is the OS.

I'm NOT running a discrete gpu, but am relying on the Riptide's igpu. As you can see from the hardware list, I think I've done everything possible to build what should be a beast of a system, with speed out the wazoo. These choices were deliberate so that I wouldn't have to deal with the insane prices discrete gpus are still commanding. I also didn't want a separate gpu to cut down on case heat. I'm not and probably never will play games on this system, so the igpu should suffice.

The system is hooked via HDMI to a Samsung QN75Q6DRAFXZA TV. I bought this TV as VERY quick replacement due to the sudden failure of my old DLP (may you rest in peace) and my local Costco had it on sale. I have tried to research the specs for this TV, but I keep getting conflicting reports and the included "manual" is useless. I know the Riptide comes with a very advanced implementation of HDMI 2.1, which I'm wondering is causing my problems given the age of the TV (going on four years old).

My problem, in a nutshell, is that I just cannot get HDR working as it should. I can successfully turn it on in Windows, but when I do, I get TERRIBLE dithering for blacks and video stutters when playing things like YouTube videos. I've tried two very highly rated 8K HDMI cables with the same result. I've also seen periodic driver crashes and resets.

All temps are fine. I ran some basic speed tests on the Ryzen to see if it was being hobbled in some way, but it came back clean. Even though I've seen driver resets, the system itself has never BSODs or otherwise tanked.

I should note that I didn't have any of these HDR problems with my old system, which had a 1050 Ti. I'm actually frustrated to the point that I'm seriously thinking of reinstalling the 1050 for video out even though it doesn't have goodies like SBTM.

Does anyone have the same or similar TV and can share their experience or, even better, their config? I've gone thru just about every permutation of driver and TV settings to no avail. Something else that's irritating is that Amazon Prime always resets the display when selecting a show, which never happened with the 1050. I suspect it's querying for HDCP, but that still shouldn't prompt a reset. It also sometimes fails the HDCP test, causing a severe restriction in bandwidth.

Are people generally happy with the Adrenalin driver in its current state or am I just suffering early adopter woes since finewine is apparently a thing with AMD?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic