ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD and Intel Graphics Card
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Radeon RX 6600 Challenger D & 8k 60Hz

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SergUA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Radeon RX 6600 Challenger D & 8k 60Hz
    Posted: 15 Oct 2023 at 5:29am
Hello,
Does the Radeon RX 6600 Challenger D support 8K at 60Hz? I'm not concerned about FPS in gaming; I want it for work purposes, mainly for browser and IDE use. I'm interested in its capability to display a basic "office desktop" at 8K 60Hz.

The specifications mention:
- 1 x HDMI??2.1 VRR
- 3 x DisplayPort??1.4 with DSC
I'm unsure whether the HDMI supports DSC, which is required for 8K 60Hz.

I don't currently have an 8K monitor (TV), only two 4K monitors, and I'd like to upgrade the GPU first.

Thank you.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2023 at 3:06pm
https://www.asrock.com/Graphics-Card/AMD/Radeon%20RX%206600%20Challenger%20D%208GB/#Specification

Quote Resolution - Digital Max Resolution: 7680 x 4320

As for 60hz, that is pretty much the baseline for PC standards. You only typically
see sub 60hz on TVs.
SergUA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SergUA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 7:01pm
Thank you. I hope you're correct. I plan to use a TV as a monitor, as there's only one 8K monitor available, and it's significantly more expensive than TVs.

I'm just uncertain about DSC. HDMI 2.1 can handle 8K but only at 30Hz without DSC, and DSC is optional. I was an early adopter of 4K, and it was common to either have 4K at 30Hz on computer monitor or 4K at 60Hz with 4:2:0 chroma subsampling, which is terrible.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 10:27pm
You may be better served asking on a forum dedicated to the subject. Without an 8k
display of my own to test with I can only really make an educated guess. Not to
mention I don't own the GPU in question either.

I would suggest opening a support ticket with ASRock but you don't already own the
GPU so you will have difficulty with that unless you own another ASRock product
that you can use the serial number from to open a ticket.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic