ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

x399m taichi m.2 running at 20MB/s

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daslolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: x399m taichi m.2 running at 20MB/s
    Posted: 26 Oct 2023 at 11:09am
I am having trouble with this x399m taichi board running a 1920x.

The nvme in question, a PM961, is running 30x slower than it used to on an intel board. The BIOS is 3.80 and was reset multiple times to try solve this.

Some times windows 10 restarts itself, but not a full restart, the screen shows that it?™s trying to reboot on the OS-less SATA that?™s connected, ignoring the m.2 which contains Windows 10.0.19045 Build 19045. I even downloaded the AMD specific drivers in the hope that it?™s one of those things but that didn?™t change the situation. Swapped the nvme to other ports.

I was thinking of pulling the CPU out, in case the pcie pins are improperly connected but I?™d like to avoid that I?™d have to get a new AMD screwdriver to replace the one I lost (off course) hopefully there is diagnosing that can be done before.

After quite a bit of searching I cannot find any reason for that. Maybe one of you has encountered this problem or knows how to diagnose it?
daslolo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daslolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2023 at 3:05pm
I should add that Samsung Magician detects this drive?™s connection as gen 3x4 so this doesn?™t seem to be a slot fitting problem.

PCProbs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PCProbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2023 at 5:49pm
You say the Samsung SSD is 30x slower - how are you testing this?
daslolo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daslolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2023 at 2:41am
Originally posted by PCProbs PCProbs wrote:

You say the Samsung SSD is 30x slower - how are you testing this?

On another computer.

Additional test: I placed the nvme and the coral on a m.2 to pcie board, both are recognized but the problems persists. So this is not caused by the m.2 on the moterboard.
SerchTech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SerchTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2023 at 10:50pm
I have never used a PM961 so can't share experiences but it seems that the problem comes from the NVMe drive itself

In my case without problems with ADATA, Kioxia, Sabrent and other Samsung's including the 960, all NVMe

The official download page for Samsung SSD/NVMe does not offer firmware for PM961, have you investigated that route?

Can you do a secure erase via BIOS without problem?

Any problems with other NVMe?
X399 Taichi (4.03)
Threadripper 2950X
DDR4 2 x HX432C16FB3K2/32
daslolo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daslolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2023 at 4:49am
I swapped for a new 980 and the problem is gone. It was the SSD being faulty.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic