ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Installing Windows 11 on a full build PC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skybuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Installing Windows 11 on a full build PC
    Posted: 27 Oct 2023 at 12:27am
Normally one would remove all drives, except the one where windows is supposed to be installed on. This prevents windows from smearing it's boot/eufi partitions all over the other disks. (Something to do with drive numbers and bios booting disk 0 and windows not knowing which drive is 0, thus it "infects" all drives with it's boot partitions, problem later is when one of the drives is removed and was the boot drive, pc don't boot no more... can be fixed with bcdboot command)

However I want to build my PC all at once to prevent damage to components.

Now I have the problem:

How to disable all drives except the one SSD where I want windows to install on.

I am disappointed that the BIOS screens do not clearly indicate which drive is the upper SSD slot and which drive is the lower SSD slow.

This could have been done much better, maybe even with a graphical layout of the motherboard itself.

I see two kingston drives in the BIOS, not sure which is which.

For now I will assume the lower numered driver, probably 3 is the top fast SSD slot, and drive 4 is probably the slower SSD drive.

Drive 1 and 2 are probably harddisks, not sure if there is a drive 0.

I believe the harddisks 1 and 2 might be disabled by disabling the "sata ports" in the bios. This feels a bit dangerous to do, what if I cannot re-enable them because of some bios bug or other issue... hmmm..

My real question is:

Can SSD drives also be disabled ?

I would like to disable SSD drive 4.

So 3 out of 4 drives disabled, so at least windows installs to one drive.

Later I will measure the drives to figure out if drive 3 is indeed the fastest/top drive.

Assuming the bottom drive has a slower bandwidth connection.

Though both SSD drives perform the same theoretically, same kind of product... hmmm...

Skybuck View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skybuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2023 at 1:17am
While there were no disable options in the BIOS, not for sata and not for ssd, which sucked, the installation went OK.

I disconnected both harddisk's sata cable.

I then installed windows 11.

It has installed on only one SSD, which I am not yet sure.

The other SSD remains uninitialized for now.

I did initialize the new harddisk later after reconnecting the sata.

Simple Volume was chosen. There is something new called: "Dev Volume"...

A new file system and so new capabilities, could be interesting to try this out on a second disk sometime, but for now, I am cool ! ;) =D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic