ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

BIOS (only) not working

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Igosha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BIOS (only) not working
    Posted: 01 Nov 2023 at 10:25pm
Hi all!

I'm building my new gaming pc with an AsRock motherboard (Z790 Pro RS WiFi). Everything works perfectly (games included) except for one thing: whenever I enter BIOS (pressing del while starting the PC) and try to click on anything there, the BIOS just freezes and I have to reboot the PC.
I will try to specify what I need to do in BIOS and what I've tried doing so far to make it work.

First off, I need to set the power limits for my 13600KF, as it powers up to 260W when I'm stress testing. When I'm not stress testing, it sometimes goes all the way up to 200W, which is not normal either. Second of all, I'd like to turn on the XMP profile for my DDR5 memory. So, once again, whenever I click on anything in BIOS, it just freezes: be it the button 'advanced settings', the button 'XMP profile' or any other button at all. It would be nice to have my BIOS all working and stuff, but if anyone knows a way to fix those two issues outside BIOS, I would be happy anyway :)

What I've tried doing to fix the issue so far:
0) Installing the latest BIOS driver from the AsRock official site (7.08) for my mobo (Z790 Pro RS WiFi). Instant flash through BIOS (fortunately, it allowed me to do this thing at least).
1) Clearing CMOS: both through the pins, and also removing the battery for 30 mins. I have also tried installing the latest BIOS driver afterwards.
2) Removing devices connected to the mobo through USB/other headers. I have also tried to use different headers / different devices instead of my original mouse/keyboard to make sure there is no incompatibility being in play.
3) Casting some spells and praying to God for my lovely mobo to work.

Just to make sure, apart from my issue with BIOS, my PC works perfectly: games, applications, tests etc.
I've already checked reddit, this forum, Tom's hardware and lots of other sources to find anything on this issue, but it was no success for me. Normally people have issues like 'PC not booting, only BIOS working' or 'BIOS not saving the settings', but in my case BIOS just freezes whenever I click on anything in it.

On top of this, there is another issue with the mobo, but it's more on the hardware level: with the only radiator for m2 SSD that was included in the box. If anyone has faced this issue, please share your experience. Apparently, the m2 SSD in the main slot (closest to the CPU) can't work without the radiator (the screw in this slot is not enough for the SSD to be screwed without the radiator being on top of it). But if I do put the radiator on top of the SSD and screw it in (as it's shown in the manual), the radiator screws in perfectly but bends the SSD badly: and even if I start to unscrew the screw, it still bends the SSD. So I'm currently using a different m2 SSD slot where it doesn't get bent and wondering if it was something I was doing wrong with the main slot and its radiator, or it's the mobo that might be defective :)
?
My configuration just in case:
a) Motherboard: As Rock Z790 Pro RS WiFi.
b) CPU: Intel core i5 13600KF
c) GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4070 12 ?? (GeForce RTX 4070 AERO OC 12G).
d) RAM: ADATA XPG Lancer RGB [AX5U5600C3616G-DCLARWH] 32 Gb.
e) SSD: 1000 Gb SSD M.2 ADATA LEGEND 960 [ALEG-960-1TCS]
f) PSU: DeepCool PX1000G WH
g) Case: Cougar Duoface RGB White.

I would be endlessly grateful for any help that you, dear forum fellows, could provide!
Thank you!
Darkje View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darkje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2023 at 5:35am
Can't offer much help, but let me assure you this should not happen. I'm missing what cooler you are using. Also the CPU should not use 260w even if the limits where set that high. It could get there but only at increased v-core and clocks, which I'm assuming is not the case here. Are you sure the software used is reading this right?

In cases like this I usually go back to basics, that means remove the board from the case, put it on the box that came with the motherboard (don't use the anti-static bag as your surface) and run the board with the bare minimum connected.

In your case that would be the CPU, one (1) stick of ram in B2, the power from the PSU and at least 1 of the 8p CPU power connectors, your mouse and keyboard and your graphics card with power connected, since you have the F CPU and no build in graphics, and a screen -preferably a monitor and not a tv.

Make sure the power supply is off by the switch on the back, but plugged in to a grounded socket. Drain any residual power by shorting the powerswitch connector with a screwdriver for like 3 seconds, fan might spin momentarily as it drains.
Now short the clrcmos pins for a couple of seconds. Switch the psu back on.

Start the board by shorting powerswitch connector for a brief moment with a screwdriver.

Now see how it behaves in bios. If it does work load the xmp profile, add the second ram stick and try again.
If you still have the issue, try swapping any parts you have spares for, like the ram, the psu, the graphics etc.
Still working? add things back one by one, testing in between.

If non of this works, all that remains is to rma the board.
Igosha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Igosha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2023 at 5:24am
Thank you Darkje!
I will try doing everything you have suggested! The tech support have given me some ideas, too. If none of those works, I will indeed have to rma the board.

The cooler I'm using is 'Deepcool 240 RGB LE520' (water cooler). The software I'm using is HWinfo. Seems like it's the motherboard that's making the processor use this many watts. I've never had this issue with 13600KF on any other mobo before.

Once again, thanks a million times for finding the time to help me!
Igosha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Igosha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2023 at 7:43pm
All is fixed. The issue was in the monitor cause I actually was using one with the screen resolution less than 1920x1080 before buying a new monitor (I actually didn't know about it, so I should have checked this). So when I tried another monitor with 1920x1080, the BIOS started working!

Once again, thanks everyone!
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2023 at 10:09pm
Glad you have the issue resolved.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic