ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Odd Cold Boot Issues - Mobo or CPU£

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linkinkampf19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Odd Cold Boot Issues - Mobo or CPU£
    Posted: 22 Nov 2023 at 9:10pm
Hey all, I should've posted here first but here I am now. I originally emailed AsRock multiple times for this issue, and have yet to get any response. Below is my predicament; updated and streamlined from my original emails and support requests:

From day one, I've been having odd USB dropout issues, with the timeline below:

- Mouse and keyboard both stop intermittently responding, soon followed by the USB disconnect and reconnect sounds
- Audio starts to crackle and jump
- System eventually hangs as I cannot control any input, sometimes ends with BSOD, forcing me to restart via the reset button on the case

Specs are as follows:
Asrock B650M PG Riptide mATX
Seasonic Focus GX Gold 80+ 750W
Ryzen 7 7700 AM5 @ 38GHz
G.Skill Trident Z 32GB DDR5 6000 (Samsung chips) - Used at both stock 4800 and 6000/5800/5600/5400 XMP
Asrock RX 7800XT 16GB
500GB Inland Pro NVMe (OS) - 2TB Samsung NVMe - 1TB Crucial MX500 SATA - 1TB WD Blue HDD - 4TB WD Blue HDD
Windows 11 Pro
Thermaltake Core v21 Case

The oddest of all of this, is that it only happens on first cold boot, whereas upon restart, the system behaves completely normal, so much so that I've been able to play many games without any interruption or performance issue. If I leave the system off for ~30min+, the issue returns on next boot, but again, is remedied by a follow up reboot.

I've also been adamant to check the Event Viewer to see of any anomalies. Nothing jumps out and mentions any particular crashes.

I've tried almost all steps I could think of to remedy this:

- Pulled all unnecessary hardware then added back piece by piece (one stick of RAM, no video card, no SATA drives, no excess USB connections)
- Updated and downgraded BIOS - tried 1.21, 1.24, 1.28, 1.29AS01 beta, 1.30AS05 beta, 2.00? (Just noticed 2.02 has better USB compatibility...)
- Tried turning on/off Deep Sleep in S4 & S5
- Turn off USB Selective Suspend
- Turn off USB power management in Device Manager
- Turn off PBO in BIOS - limit to 3.8GHz
- Change RAM timings from default JEDEC to XMP
- Change RAM from XMP 6000 to 5800/5600/5400 and default JEDEC @ 4800
- After first reboot, stress tested CPU/RAM via Prime95 blended torture test
- Tested latency with LatencyMon - seized up after ~7 minutes on cold boot, just app and peripherals, until crash
- Purged and reinstalled AMD B650 chipset drivers
- Replaced G.Skill RAM with new, separate set of Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR5 (on QVL) - issue persists
- Replaced PSU with original unit (650W Seasonic Gold), no video card for lesser power draw - issue persists
- Used Verifier tool in Windows to force crash upon 3rd party driver testing. Different driver issue every time. First was SteamStreamingSpeakers.sys; then AsRock's appdrv01.sys, etc.
- Tested options outside of main OS
- Linux Live CDs - Mint and Ubuntu both work flawlessly.
- Hiren's Boot PE (legal version) - works flawlessly
- Windows 11 Pro safe mode - works flawlessly
- Fresh install of Windows 10 Pro - Used a spare SSD without any other drives attached. Same issues as Win 11 Pro. This part makes me think it's not a driver issue.

I tested the above first bullet point with a Prime95 Blended Stress Test in between each added component, with a full shutdown and removal of power (turn off PSU and purge residual) between testings. Minimum of 30 minutes in between tests (so this took some time!)

Sorry for the long first post, but right now I'm stuck between thinking this is a thermal issue (warming up and then working), a CPU issue that I'm not familiar with, or the board is being a pain.

As noted above, I see that a new BIOS just dropped yesterday with better USB compatibility, so that could be promising.

If anyone has any inkling, guidance, thoughts, prayers, etc, please contact me. I'm currently on my older AM4 build with the PG 7800XT and all is working fine. Thanks!
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2023 at 10:32pm
First of all, great detailed post

When you tried to contact ASRock, did you open a support ticket:
https://tw.asrock.com/events/tsd.asp
or did you try to email them? A support ticket will likely yield better results if
you don't have a direct support email address.

Based on your post, my first instinct would be a faulty PSU but you say you have
already tried another one. Cold boot issues are almost always power related, the
next culprit, as you mentioned, is faulty silicon that behaves better when warmed
up. If you have an option to, try with some different RAM, if one of the ICs is
marginal and "works" once warmed up it may not even fail memtest but could cause
all manner of issues as it intermittently conks out. You could test with a single
stick and swap between the two but a second, known good kit would be more useful
troubleshooting (in case of a bad batch of RAM).

If the RAM isn't the culprit then you may want to look into RMA. If you haven't
opened a support ticket with ASRock yet I would start there and get their advice
on the matter.

Good luck
linkinkampf19 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linkinkampf19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2023 at 12:15am
Hah thanks, the detail was from quite a bit of prior emailing and support ticket stuff as testing went on. I initially emailed ASRock at support@asrockamerica.com, followed up through the email a 2nd time, and then contacted them through the support form, which you linked.

As for testing the RAM, yeah, I had swapped out the G.Skill 2x16 kit for a Corsair Vengeance 2x16 kit, and both were on the QVL. Never ran overnight testing, but the RAM would fail at higher OCs, including the marketed 6000MT/s both packs are labeled as. I never tested the Corsair though, as by that point the issue had been going on that I just called it there that it wasn't RAM. I suppose it is chance to could've gotten another bad set, but it seems too high a probability of that.

So yeah, overall I suspect it's the board, but I suppose it could be the CPU. I'm leaning board only b/c Prime95 seems pretty stable even on long tests (7-8 tests; 1-2 hours), unless I have the RAM clocked to 6000.

Since I'm back on my old setup (minus the 7800XT), I'm probably going to look into RMAing both board and CPU since those are the only two culprits left.

Thanks again for the response :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linkinkampf19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2023 at 5:10am
Quick follow up. I had boxed up both board and CPU already and then curiosity got the better of me. I hooked all stuff up as barebones (CPU, board, 1 SSD, 1 stick RAM, M&KB), and updated the BIOS to 2.02 via ASRock Flashback. I was able to boot into Win10 on the SSD and run Unigine Superposition @ ~30fps @720p without much issue. There was some minor audio crackle, but I liken that to the benchmark stressing out purely the CPU without a dedicated GPU. Afterwards, I ran LatencyMon for over 20 minutes, and finally Prime95 for another 20 minutes. No issues at all beyond the above benchmark. I'm letting the system "cool down" for a bit and I'll try from cold boot again. If that goes smoothly, I'll be happily surprised and ecstatic I don't have to do any RMAs.

Here's hoping this resolves it. The BIOS having that little bit about USB compatibility really got me curious on if I was the sole reason lol.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2023 at 6:56am
Good luck, let us know how it turns out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linkinkampf19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2023 at 11:23am
So I think that 2.02 BIOS update was the answer. I'd love to know what was changed, just for curiosities sake. I ran Prime95 for over an hour straight with no issues from cold boot. With the USB/audio issues seemingly out of the way with the update, I tried running my G.Skill 6000 at it's rated OC. Was able to get it stable at XMP 5600. May finagle with voltages and further timings down the line, but honestly I'm not even noticing much a difference from 4800 to 5600. Maybe in a test environment I'd notice, but primarily gaming is showing no perceptible change.

I'll also be trying the Corsair RAM as well, as that has a lower CL, so I'd like to see if I have any more luck there.

I think I may be out of the woods. I'm am beyond ecstatic that this was the fix, at least 90% certain it is. I was dreading the RMA process (in general, not a knock at ASRock). Here's hoping once I toss it back into the case all sits well.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linkinkampf19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2023 at 3:43am
Well, that was to good to be true. I installed the mobo and all back in the case and hooked everything back up. within 10 minutes of boot, the stutter came back. The only thing I readily noticed was different than my external testing was that I hooked up the 4pin 12v connector in the case, versus not having the respective cable available when I had it outside the case (2 different PSUs, both exhibited the issue I'm here for). So I'm thinking, let's disconnect the 4pin and see if anything changes. Outside of that, maybe a short within the case? I have other cases I can use, so I suppose it's a possibility.

Otherwise, I'm back to square one, and going to look into RMA if things don't improve.

EDIT: That didn't work. I gutted the entire system and I'm using it like was last night. Testing continues.

EDIT 2: So it happened even outside the case this time. I'm suspecting either the surge protector or ethernet cable. I swapped both out, and I'm piecemealing the system back together outside the case.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2023 at 9:48pm
Sorry to hear that, what a headache. There is nothing worse than gremlins....
I can't really offer any suggestions, you seem to be on point with your troubleshooting
already so I will just wish you luck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linkinkampf19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2023 at 5:44am
Thanks Xaltar. I've put together my old rig for the time being, with the good additions being the 2TB m.2 and 7800XT. I've also submitted an RMA request to AMD, as I'm completely stumped on if this is board or proc. Hopefully I find it out through the processes of both ASRock and AMD.

Regarding such, are you aware the turn-around time on these technical requests at ASRock? Any chance of an average wait time on response? I understand if you don't know or aren't privy to that information.

Thanks again for the support.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2023 at 6:45am
Here in the EU it's generally pretty quick, 2 - 5 working days with the latter being
rare. I am not sure how long it takes in the US, it has a dedicated support team.

Good luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic