ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock X99 WS-E memory compatiblity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
vacaloca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vacaloca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 3:14am
One last thing I noticed was that on two separate occasions (but occurs very seldom) the system 'wakes up' back from sleep, however, no monitor output is present and if the Dr Debug led was switched on all the time, it does not light up to E3 after resume. I saw this happen a few times initially before I changed any settings. Also, when this happens, the power button ceases to work, and a hard shutdown and power on does not solve the issue. Only removing power and CMOS battery for a few seconds to clear BIOS settings gets the system correctly booting again.

So far, the fix seems to have been either setting processor state C6 to disabled and state C3 to enabled OR enabling Maximum Aggregate Memory performance in UEFI settings. All other settings were re-set as mentioned earlier in the thread.

Also for anyone curious/wanting to duplicate this setup, Jet has CT32G4RFD4213 32GB DIMMs for a decent price currently. A 15% coupon on Jet currently lets you buy up to 3x in a single order. Also, Staples and Quill have coupons that can be applied if they come back in stock. For Staples, best price can be had via a 25 off 75 coupon for an order of a single DIMM. Quill (Staples affiliate) has them for the same Staples price, signing up for their e-mail list gives a $20 off coupon that works with the item.

I took advantage of an eBay offer for a $150 Staples GC for $130 and purchased another 32GB DIMM for net cost of $136.74 after coupon/discounted gift card/Staples pricematch to its own website after the fact, and installed it on May 27th, and no issues so far with 192 GB populated.

Edited by vacaloca - 27 May 2016 at 11:27pm
vacaloca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vacaloca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 11:20am
One final update on this for now. Changed over from the X79 system tonight and installed the last video card (GTX Titan Black). Checked on-board audio and USB ports, and connectivity with my remaining peripherals and everything seems just fine. Before I installed the last video card, I connected both molex slots on the motherboard for extra power.

CPU-Z memory tab and HWMonitor screenshots:

Edited by vacaloca - 05 Jun 2016 at 2:32am
vacaloca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vacaloca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 3:25am
Another slight update... managed to sysprep my current installation of Windows 8.1 x64 (BIOS mode) on an X79 system to ASRock's X99 WS-E after doing the following in Powershell:

Get-AppxPackage | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppXProvisionedPackage -online | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -online

Also, delete HKLM\System\Setup\Upgrade key, as well as HKLM\System\Setup\Upgrade DWORD in registry editor.

Finally, point it to an Unattend.xml with this text: 

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
       <settings pass="generalize">
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-PnpSysprep" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
            <PersistAllDeviceInstalls>true</PersistAllDeviceInstalls>
        </component>
    </settings>
</unattend>

and run sysprep with:
sysprep /oobe /generalize /shutdown /unattend:Unattend.xml

The first step to get sysprep running was to get rid of any system upgrade regkeys and indications. Next, had to keep drivers because NVIDIA drivers were not playing nice and sysprep was failing. Finally, the powershell commands remove all Windows 8.1 apps and de-provisions them, because otherwise sysprep will also fail.

One last thing that took a while to debug was that DPC latency was pretty horrid when I tried to play a Youtube video @ 1080p in Chrome. System process was shooting up to 20 or 30% causing slowdowns and 100% CPU usage and Chrome was using 20-30% CPU to play the video... almost as if hardware acceleration was broken, yet chrome://gpu showed it was enabled.

I ended up using a spare drive to install a clean copy of Win 8.1 x64 and Win 10 x64 (both in BIOS mode) and the same problem persisted. I removed the 32GB ECC DIMMs and inserted a single 16GB UDIMM and the problem immediately went away... Chrome went back to using 2-6% CPU usage to play video and System process never went past 0-2% CPU usage. I replaced the ECC DIMMs 1 by 1 back until I had 5x32GB (the amount I'm intending to keep) and the problem was still gone both in the new clean install and my transplanted sysprepped image.

So needless to say it's possible that either there was some weird BIOS corruption or that the DIMMs were not seated correctly to begin with. Figured I'd add all this info in case anyone else (or myself again, ha!) ever needs it.

System now has 1x GTX Titan X and 1x Quadro K6000 functioning well... will add the remaining GTX Titan Black once I clean up the cabling and add a few other components here and there (Blu-ray drive, hotswap SSD caddy, etc)

RAM was tested up to 140 GB processing some huge electromagnetic data sets, very happy with this new setup after all the platform tweaking to figure out its quirks.

Edited by vacaloca - 21 May 2016 at 3:38am
vacaloca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vacaloca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 11:13am
A bit of an update...

I was able to resolve the Dr. Debug code 99 slow BIOS boot after restart in BIOS version 1.80 by enabling a few BIOS options that are disabled by default:
a) Set PCI-E ASPM Support to Enabled
b) Set PCH PCI-E ASPM Support to Enabled
c) Set PCH DMI ASPM Support to Enabled

I also changed the options for memory test on boot/fast boot, memory power savings mode and maximum aggregate memory performance to 'Disabled'. Not sure if these made any difference, however, but the combination of these changes resulted in a constantly stable boot/restart/restart after sleep with either 4x or 5x32 GB Crucial 2133 RDIMMs (128 or 160 GB RAM) or 8x16 GB 2133 UDIMMs (128 GB RAM). Tested with Ubuntu GNOME 16.04 and Windows 7 x64, and NVIDIA 361,365 drivers (GTX 750 Ti)

(Edit: I have later set maximum aggregate memory performance to 'Enabled' with no further issues)

Ended up keeping the RDIMMs and returning UDIMMs as ECC functionality is useful and the appeal of having > 128 GB on this board is helpful.

Edited by vacaloca - 05 Jun 2016 at 2:30am
vacaloca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vacaloca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2016 at 4:18am
Tech support claimed that 128 GB was the max. That being said, I got a 4x CT32G4RFD4213's from one vendor and another from a different vendor (all returnable, just in case), and with BIOS v1.8 I was able to boot with 160 GB into both Ubuntu 16.04 and Windows 7, and did some short Memtest 86+ 5.01 runs and it appears to register the entire amount. With BIOS 1.7 that the board came with, it is only possible to boot with 3x of the 32GB DIMMs, BIOS 1.8 fixes that (can boot with 5 sticks), and BIOS 3.2 breaks it again. Under 3.2, I can boot with 4x32GB sticks, but it only recognizes 3x of them... probably a regression on ASrock's part... that and since it was probably untested w/ new BIOS revision, and a niche market they don't imagine anyone will do it.... ;)

Edit: I have confirmed that whatever issue that was causing the DPC latency before I re-seated the RDIMMs was also probably the reason why BIOS 1.7 and 3.2 could not recognize more than 3x32 GB RDIMMs. Retested both BIOS' on May 30, 2016 and I was able to boot with 128 GB with no issues.

That being said, with this much memory installed, I'm seeing a strange issue with NVIDIA-based cards on bootup. Sometimes after a restart, it stops for maybe a minute at code 99 at the UEFI splash-screen and then recovers and continues the boot into GRUB and into Linux/Windows normally. This is the case for at least a CSM-based install of Ubuntu and Windows, although I believe booting Ubuntu from UEFI media tends to cause the same issue. It usually is fairly repeatable after restart, and is not influenced by putting the PC to sleep before the restart. It seems to go away after a hard shutdown and subsequent power up, where the delay resurfaces on next restart.

This is similar to an issue I had with a X99 WS-E board from ASUS that was unstable when put to sleep, woken up, and restarted. The ASUS board, however did hang up with a QCODE and didn't recover.

I'll do a bit more testing over the coming days most likely, but just thought I'd post a few findings so far on this.

Edit: using a Xeon E5-1650 V3 for this, and also have 8x16GB UDIMMs on hand ... going to test which setup (UDIMM/RDIMM) is more stable when it comes to sleep/restart, as I can't afford to have the PC hang on boot when either of those happen.

Edit 2: see next post, as code 99 slow boot is resolved w/ some UEFI settings changes.

Edited by vacaloca - 31 May 2016 at 12:04pm
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 12:38pm
You will have to contact tech support on that, the official memory max capacity is 128mb but at the time of the board's release there were as yet no 32gb modules on the market so it may be possible now depending on the CPU installed (Xeon for high capacity).
vacaloca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vacaloca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 8:23am
I also would like to know if it's possible to use 8x32GB -- it seems that 4x32GB is already supported given the QVL posted: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X99%20WS-E/?cat=Memory

Crucial's CT32G4RFD4213 is DDR4 PC4-17000 CL15 Dual Ranked x4 based Registered ECC 1.2V, 4096Meg x 72

They only certified using 4pcs, so perhaps 128 GB is the maximum regardless for this board?

Cydona View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cydona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 9:10pm
Missed that LRDIMMs bit on the Samsung ones. Thanks for the insight orthoceros.

orthoceros View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orthoceros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 8:34pm
>> compatibility with quad rank modules such as these Samsung M386A4G40DM0
These modules are LRDIMMs (load reduced DIMMs with an extra buffer chip), not RDIMMs. Hence, I fear, they do not work in the X99 workstation boards, unfortunately.

However, there are already less expensive and system-independent 32GB RDIMMs on the market. For example the Transcend TS4GHR72V1C (with a good price tag at about 350EUR per module, specification: http://www.transcend-info.com/Products/No-682  ).

This is also a 32GB RDIMM module with the same geometry (2Rx4) that is already supported by this board for 16GB RDIMM modules. So, in theory, there should be no hardware reason why it should not work... still, the BIOS must accept it. (Maybe this more "consumer-near" Transcend module is more suitable for tests by tech support?)

Support for 256GB would really make Asrock workstation mainboards outstanding... I would buy it immediately. Still hoping for good news! Wink
Cydona View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cydona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2015 at 12:04am
I'll also be very curious to hear any feedback on this matter. I likewise would like to be able to populate with 4x32GB with the intention of adding 4x32GB in the future.

Also on this matter, as well as any insight as to compatibility with dual rank modules, can you also please comment on compatibility with quad rank modules such as these Samsung M386A4G40DM0 

These seem to be less expensive that the dual rank versions I have come across.

Thank you for any insights!

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/file/product/DDR4_Product_guide_Dec13.pdf

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/product/computing-dram/detail?productId=8028&iaId=2427

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147384
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic