ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Keyboard and mouse both inactive

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dch1950 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Keyboard and mouse both inactive
    Posted: 26 Dec 2023 at 11:21pm
I have an Asrock 990Fx mono running with AMD Fx-8370.A vintage rig now,but still worth the time to look at.
Today I have developed a POST problem
After a CMOS clear ( for another reason) I find I don,t have any keyboard or mouse working, so replying to the date/time set up request and F2 to rework my UEFI settings is out of the question, after several minutes error code B4 pops up (bottom RH corner) and the system is hung.
I only have my Corsair pump head connected to a usb 2 header along with the Logitech unifying dongle.
No response can be achieved.
Is B4 a hard error, or can I take some corrective action to reset and progress to boot
Regards
Dave
dch1950 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dch1950 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2023 at 12:51pm
Hi, I am following up on my own post here by supplying more background information,
This B4 error was the result , I believe, of my use of the pairing app supplied by Logitech.
I was pairing up a new k/b and mouse on my current rig (990fx extreme6 and. Fx 8370 based in order to try it out (still building my new machine and waiting for bits).
The Logitech app didn?™t, work properly ~ no surprise there.So Ideleted all the current pairings to start again.
This is when my problems started, I couldn?™t re establish my old pairing.
I had also been having problems getting bootable flash drives to be seen at post , hence the cmos clear action I cited in my first post.
I contacted Asrock tech support in Nijmegen and had a useful conversation with a guy who supplied me with a nice pdf file by AMI , of the status codes for the AMI Aptio 5.x UEFI, handy as a you Asrock user manual doesn?™t list them all.After much conversation where I criticised Asrock for not supplying enough technical info, he said he would make a request to Taiwan to attempt to improve this and include more info , on the main site.
This is fully justified in my opinion, given the money we are now paying out for ASROCK mobos..
I should add that I am slightly biased in that as young programmer I worked with Intel SBC?™s for many years and this experience has stood me well ,even today.I used to reverse engineer the IBM PC bios for fun.
I have established that The B4 status code occurs as follows:
We are in the latter part of POST namely DXE (- Driver Execution Environment) , this is the section where the virtual drivers are started up.
B4 is the last of the USbB set pump sequence of

USB initialisation
USB rest
USB detect
And finallyUSB enable. This is the section where the B4 status flag is raised.
The trouble I have now is that I need to find out what bit of the USB hardware wouldn?™t respond. And whether or not it?™s a fata and permanent error, or can be fixed.
I shall contact AMI about this as ASROCK I doubt have access to the AMI code.
Will keep you informed on my progress and if you would like a copy of the Aptio codes then message me.
Regards
Dave Hickman
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic