ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X99M Fatality-no cpu-what should light up?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X99M Fatality-no cpu-what should light up?
    Posted: 24 May 2016 at 1:46am
Hi 1st time posting here, wish was not with less knowledge and a potential problem, but just need someone to help.
I have purchased a second hand x99m fatality and currently i have no cpu to test it.
My question is: if i just plug in the atx 24pin and turn psu on, what should happen with this board.
Will i get any lights at all?

I want to know if the mobo is working before i open a case on ebay, just to make sure its not me, i got a good deal on it also.

Currently the only thing that lights up is the Killer lan port, and will light up once upon psu power,
but blink continually when connected to the router.
Pressing the onboard power does nothing and is not lit. 
Does this need a cpu to function and light up?
Does the debug led also need a cpu to light and show a code?

Thanks for any help given here, im hoping this is just my naivety and that the mobo deos work.
David
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 2:12am
That is perfectly normal behavior, the only thing that should light up is the LAN port if there is a cable connected to both it and another device. 

The board will not power on without a CPU installed.
davaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 2:21am
Thanks for your reply.
So no MB power led, no power/reset button light up, no debug led without cpu.
That's all normal?
Sorry bit knew to this kinda problem solving...
but how come there are cpu error debug codes in the manual?
Is that if even if the cpu's failed and dead? it still creates a circuit for the mobo to show the debug cpu code?!

Thanks for your help.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 2:30am
To the best of my knowledge there is probably a circuit on the socket that requires the CPU to close and allow any kind of power up. The same is true of all my ASRock intel based motherboards. No CPU, no power or LEDs or any other indicators other than the LAN port. 
davaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 2:39am
Ok cool, i feel more confident about it now.
I'll just go ahead and buy a cpu,and well, hope all goes well.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 2:46am
If the LAN port is lighting up then that is a good sign. Is there any particular reason you were concerned or was it just that you could not power on the system without a CPU that was worrying you? If it was only the inability to power the system on then you have no reason for concern Wink
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 12:03pm
Xaltar, IMO the main reason the OP was concerned, if at all, was because the board is second hand according to his first post.

davaz
, I notice you did not say you connected the 4/8 pin 12V ATX CPU power cable to the board in your first post. Be sure to do that once you get a CPU, otherwise the CPU will not work.

Any time power has been removed from an ASRock board, which can simply be the PSU switch is set to Off and the AC power disconnected, when AC power is reconnected and the PSU switch is set to On, you won't see any of the LEDs on the board light up.

That happens because the board has not been fully powered up yet, and is not yet in one of the ACPI power states. Even when you do a Windows Shutdown, with the PSU on as we normally do, the board is in the S5 power state. The board is more "alive" in that situation than when power is first applied to the board after power has been completely removed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic