ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Problem with 970 pro3 r2.0

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problem with 970 pro3 r2.0
    Posted: 26 May 2016 at 6:21am
Hi! I hope you can help me solve a weird problem that I have with this board.

First , configurations, and I have to mention that I have 3 pc's with similar components:
asrock 970 pro3 r2.0 - last bios update
fx6300 OC@3.70 or not OC
different ram modules on each configuration , no OC , at 1600 or 1866
ssd + hdd
nvidia based graphic cards (210, 610, 710)
win 7 enterprise x64
all drivers updated
windows updated

Problem:
after I start pc, sometimes typing something gets delayed or not working at all, also it randomly hangs for 1-2-3 seconds whenever he wants to, sometimes links stop opening, internet settings appear to be correctly configured - no network problems detected but internet not working, network browsing doesn't work from time to time.

After 1 restart, every error stops, it never happens again unless I shutdown pc. Then it starts again and I have to give one restart to solve it again.

Only driver not installed is the infrared, which can't be found in the system, don't know why.

Anything you can tell me on how to fix this error? Happens on all pc's. It's annoying and I would love to have a fix. Thank you!

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 12:55pm
Try clearing CMOS on all 3 systems and see if that helps.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by micutz micutz wrote:

Hi! I hope you can help me solve a weird problem that I have with this board.

First , configurations, and I have to mention that I have 3 pc's with similar components:
asrock 970 pro3 r2.0 - last bios update
fx6300 OC@3.70 or not OC
different ram modules on each configuration , no OC , at 1600 or 1866
ssd + hdd
nvidia based graphic cards (210, 610, 710)
win 7 enterprise x64
all drivers updated
windows updated

Problem:
after I start pc, sometimes typing something gets delayed or not working at all, also it randomly hangs for 1-2-3 seconds whenever he wants to, sometimes links stop opening, internet settings appear to be correctly configured - no network problems detected but internet not working, network browsing doesn't work from time to time.

After 1 restart, every error stops, it never happens again unless I shutdown pc. Then it starts again and I have to give one restart to solve it again.

Only driver not installed is the infrared, which can't be found in the system, don't know why.

Anything you can tell me on how to fix this error? Happens on all pc's. It's annoying and I would love to have a fix. Thank you!

Could be a difficult problem to diagnose, random non-response from Windows, it seems.

Have you looked at the Windows logs, the Event log for example? If this happens frequently then there should be many entries related to it, if it is something that Windows recognizes as an "event" or problem.

Another thing to do is start the Windows Task Manager, and just let it run off to the side on your monitor. Select the Processes or Performance tabs, and you might be able to get a hint about what is happening when you experience a non-response event.

For example, in the Processes tab, under Apps/Progams, you should see the programs that you are running, like your network browser, etc. If you get a pause event, check the CPU usage of those programs. If they aren't the cause, scroll down (HA! If possible) and see what background process is using the CPU so much.

You said after a restart, you don't have this problem. This is not easy to do, but could you compare every program/process shown in Task Manager before a restart, and after? I mean if something is not running after the restart. Something should be different between those two situations, a program or service running, or not running, for example.

You did not mention how much memory you have in each PC. You'll see the total amount of memory being used in the Processes tab. If you are running out of memory, you'll be using the page file on a disk, which is much slower.

What drives are you using for the OS/Windows drive? Exact model and capacity/size please. Disk IO usage is shown in the Processes tab.

You said you have only one driver not installed. Does that include all the Utility programs listed under the Drivers on your board's download page:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970%20Pro3%20R2.0/?cat=Download&os=Win764

That means programs like Instant Boot, Norton Security, XFast LAN, etc, are all installed? If so, if you aren't using them, or don't have them configured at all, one of them might be causing the pauses in response. You should see them listed in the Processes tab if they are running. If you don't use any of those programs, there is no reason to have them installed.

The IR driver is only used by the remote control accessory for the board. If you don't have that accessory, there is no need for its driver to be installed.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 1:59pm
I do find it interesting that it is only happening on a cold boot which is why I suggested clearing CMOS. 

As a side note, are you using any flash drives on these systems? I have noticed that booting with flash drives connected can cause strange behavior at times. 

Is there any other common hardware between the systems, like keyboard, mouse etc?
micutz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 12:50pm
Thank you for all your replies. I will answer your questions.

As a side note, are you using any flash drives on these systems? I have noticed that booting with flash drives connected can cause strange behavior at times. 
Is there any other common hardware between the systems, like keyboard, mouse etc?

No flash drives, different keyboard/mouse kit.

You did not mention how much memory you have in each PC. You'll see the total amount of memory being used in the Processes tab. If you are running out of memory, you'll be using the page file on a disk, which is much slower.

8GB (2x4) memory + 16GB swap file on SSD (had it on secondary HDD too)

What drives are you using for the OS/Windows drive?

Kingston SSD's 120GB - the cheap models + 40GB Maxtor HDD 7200 rpm

You said you have only one driver not installed. Does that include all the Utility programs

Only Asrock tuning utility to see temperature. The not installed driver is infrared.. something.

As for services and processes, they are mainly the same... I can't find anything different.

Haven't cleared CMOS yet.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 2:22pm
40gb Maxtor? Unless that is a typo that could be the problem, the 40gb Maxtor is only SATA 1 and has a pathetic 2mb of cache. What this means is that when windows is indexing it's contents it is performing exceedingly slowly and can cause the kind of behavior you described. 

A simple test to determine if this could be the problem for you would be to disconnect the Maxtor drive and see if you still have the issue. I suspect you will not. In all honesty you would be better off using a 32gb flash drive for extra storage. I have an old Maxtor 60gb that takes about 30 seconds to initialize and will periodically seek for extended periods (causing OS hangups etc). My drive is connected to an old Athlon XP system I keep for nostalgia purposes though so for me at least is isn't an issue.
micutz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 3:02pm
Hmm... it's a 7200rpm 40gb and I use it to auto save something on it.. but it does the same without him.. also have 3 more systems with gigabyte mainboards, everything else practically the same, including the 40gb hdd's.. and they don't cause any problems...
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 3:59pm
It was worth checking and made sense with the symptoms. Oh well, back to the drawing board. If I think of anything else I will post again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic