ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bios Update Issue - Z790 Taichi Carrara

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shan2752 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bios Update Issue - Z790 Taichi Carrara
    Posted: 07 Jan 2024 at 1:36am
Hello,

I?™m surprised that there is such little activity on this forum, but I?™d figure I?™d post here anyway. I just updated to the new 11.08 Bios from 10.01 in the hopes that the voltage to the 14900KF would be better tuned for temperature. I can?™t run Cinebench without thermal throttling at 100C, even with a Lian Li 360 AIO. I have reset the thermal paste 3 times now with no improvement.

Unfortunately now the computer won?™t boot with the XMP profile active. XMP worked fine with the previous BIOS. It will boot with the XMP profile off.

The RAM I have is listed below. Oh, the cpu temps didn?™t improve at all either. I wish there was more specific information provided pertaining to Bios updates, but I couldn?™t find any. Otherwise I wouldn?™t have updated. But when you spend $3500 on a build you would expect to run synthetic benchmarks well. I chose this MB because of the white look for my build. I never had an issue with my previous Gigabyte MB?™s.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6400 (PC5 51200) Desktop Memory Model F5-6400J3239G32GX2-TZ5RW
Darkje View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darkje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2024 at 9:30pm
First it's pretty normal for these cpu's to hit tjmax, that is basically the way they are designed, to fully use the envelop.

Then what thermal paste did you use? Sometimes the stuff you get with the cooler isn't that good, and it's better to use some other descent brand of paste, personally i was very happy with arctic's mx6 results, but any descent stuff of your preferred brand might do better.

An other thing is tuning the cpu voltage manually, a slightly negative offset and other LLC setting could do a lot for temperatures. Once i had setup -25mv and llc=level1 my voltages and as a result temps and watts were much better than with default settings and even allowed for a +200mhz on P and E cores (13th gen), you will have to try what works best for you.

The memory issue is strange, if you can't get it to work with this new bios, maybe just flash back the previous one.
shan2752 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shan2752 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2024 at 10:52pm
Thanks for the suggestions. What?™s weird about the XMP issue is that the PC turns off and then back on when it?™s posting. I then get a BIOS message that the OS failed to boot and to enter the BIOS. When I remove XMP, it boots. I was thinking about reflashing the previous BIOS, as you said.

Coming from the 6700K, I see that a lot has changed in terms of thermals. It?™s only an issue with synthetic benchmarks so I shy away from undervolting or setting power limits.
shan2752 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shan2752 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2024 at 3:27am
I restored the 10.01 BIOS and now the XMP settings work for DDR5 6400 timings. I won?™t update the BIOS again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic