ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Help,Reverting back from RAID ARRAY (x99 Extreme4)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help,Reverting back from RAID ARRAY (x99 Extreme4)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thetoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help,Reverting back from RAID ARRAY (x99 Extreme4)
    Posted: 27 May 2016 at 2:09pm
Hi THank you for your time.

I had successfully set RAID 0 of (2x1tb Mushkin SSDs) via using Intel Rapid Tech App, (Used ASRock's Controller Switcher to swith to RAID mode and set up my Raid Array with Intel's APP)

I had to add one more drive (identical that was already installed and running) however when I tried to add using Intel App even though it seemed like it successfully 'Migrated' with correct Drive size coming up on Intel App, for some reason It never updated the size from 2xDrives to 3 on Windows 'This PC' when it lists all the Hard Drives, So I got really irritated. I decided to just delete the Raid Array so I went back into Intel App, and deleted that Raid Drive. and restarted thinking that I would be able to see all 3 drives separately after formatting them in Win 10. Nope! It didn't happen, after few restarts, nothing, so I thought I messed something up, I opened the case, and unplugged all the SSD connections from the motherboard. (only left m.2 internal SSD chip installed as all the windows and programs are on that to boot from)

I did that and windows 10 rebooted, but when I tried to go back into Intel Rapid Tech App, it said numerous times An Unknown Error Occurred so it can't be started. So I went ahead and uninstalled the application from Control Panel. and also went back to UEFI and switched the drive from RAID to First AHCI, and then IDE (That's what it said on Intel Rapid Tech APP's Read me File for manually uninstalling)

However I would be able to see on Device Manager, "IDE ATA / ATAPI" controller listed after reverting back to IDE or AHCI mode. Nothing! it is not listed on Device Manager, I thought thats what it supposed to go back to on Device Manager? 

My question is;
is it because currently there are no other SATA plugged SSD Drives, is that why On Device Manager thats not listed. (only m.2 internal drive is installed) 

or WHICH may be WORSE, DID I MESS SOME DRIVERS or HARDWARE??

I am supposed to get this 3 SSDs on Raid 0 back up but I wanted to see your feedback on this stage before I try to do more potentially Harmful Actions Going Forward.

Please Help!
Thanks,

RoDi.SVK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoDi.SVK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 4:42pm
size from 2xDrives to 3 on Windows 'This PC'
you expand partition in Windows ?

RAID 0 of 3 disks is not that risky ? If relevant reading speed so why not use RAID1 on two drives ?
my test...
thetoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thetoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 5:23pm
Hi Rodi,

I tried just using with Intel Rapid Storage App that was already doing the Raid 0 on 2 drives
(there was one more identical drive, so I wanted to add that to that Raid Array to make it 3x)
Does that make sense?

Some People are saying Some People are saying it is worth the risk because of the speed.
Raid 1 ? that would slow it right? I am using for video footage editing so I need to keep it fast reading.

RoDi.SVK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RoDi.SVK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 6:26pm
Intel RST widened disk, but not extend NTFS volume

Extend Volume, Backup FIRST !

OR

If there still are not yet any data...
-create RAID in Bios
-boot windows iso and load Intel RST drivers from USB Stick
-windows installation wizard sees RAID
-install windows

Intel RST F6 Drivers

RAID1 = quick read but write speed is the speed of a single disk...
thetoons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thetoons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 3:12am
Thanks Rodi
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by thetoons thetoons wrote:

Hi THank you for your time.

I had successfully set RAID 0 of (2x1tb Mushkin SSDs) via using Intel Rapid Tech App, (Used ASRock's Controller Switcher to swith to RAID mode and set up my Raid Array with Intel's APP)

I had to add one more drive (identical that was already installed and running) however when I tried to add using Intel App even though it seemed like it successfully 'Migrated' with correct Drive size coming up on Intel App, for some reason It never updated the size from 2xDrives to 3 on Windows 'This PC' when it lists all the Hard Drives, So I got really irritated. I decided to just delete the Raid Array so I went back into Intel App, and deleted that Raid Drive. and restarted thinking that I would be able to see all 3 drives separately after formatting them in Win 10. Nope! It didn't happen, after few restarts, nothing, so I thought I messed something up, I opened the case, and unplugged all the SSD connections from the motherboard. (only left m.2 internal SSD chip installed as all the windows and programs are on that to boot from)

I did that and windows 10 rebooted, but when I tried to go back into Intel Rapid Tech App, it said numerous times An Unknown Error Occurred so it can't be started. So I went ahead and uninstalled the application from Control Panel. and also went back to UEFI and switched the drive from RAID to First AHCI, and then IDE (That's what it said on Intel Rapid Tech APP's Read me File for manually uninstalling)

However I would be able to see on Device Manager, "IDE ATA / ATAPI" controller listed after reverting back to IDE or AHCI mode. Nothing! it is not listed on Device Manager, I thought thats what it supposed to go back to on Device Manager? 

My question is;
is it because currently there are no other SATA plugged SSD Drives, is that why On Device Manager thats not listed. (only m.2 internal drive is installed) 

or WHICH may be WORSE, DID I MESS SOME DRIVERS or HARDWARE??

I am supposed to get this 3 SSDs on Raid 0 back up but I wanted to see your feedback on this stage before I try to do more potentially Harmful Actions Going Forward.

Please Help!
Thanks,

Your hardware was not damaged, or damaged by the addition of the third drive. It seems that RAID 0 array is not your OS drive, but... you might need to install Win 10 again.

I'm not 100% sure what happened in your situation, but now that we have M.2 SSDs (what M.2 SSD are you using?), we have learned a lesson about the IRST RAID software.

That is, if we do not have any SATA drives connected to the Intel SATA ports, yet we are running Windows from a non-SATA drive (NVMe SSD), the IRST software does not function as we assume it will. We've never been in this situation in the past, and Intel might not have considered

Also, how the IRST software does react to the no SATA drive situation depends upon the scenario we present to the IRST software. I'll explain.

I was in a basically similar situation myself, using an M.2 SSD for the OS, with no other drives connected to the PC. During a Win 10 installation, using RAID mode (you ARE maintaining RAID mode in Storage Configuration, SATA Mode? You must set that yourself, always), I tried to install the IRST F6 driver. It failed. Same thing if you try to install the Windows IRST software without any SATA drives connected, the installation fails. Who ever saw that before? But how could we until we began using non-SATA M.2 SSDs.

Regarding nothing in Device Manager, the Intel RAID controller will ONLY be listed under Storage Controllers, well below the IDE ATA / ATAPI entry.

IMO, uninstalling the IRST software was a mistake, or at best not necessary. Or I should say changing the SATA mode just caused confusion. Your registry entries for IRST may be screwy now.

Fortunately, the Win 10 native Intel IRST driver installs by itself. That can be updated later with the Windows IRST software.

Why your SSDs did not appear in Win 10 is weird. If you deleted the RAID volume, my only idea is the SSDs died together for some reason. I doubt that happened, but you never know, I hope not!

Do this, get back into RAID mode in the UEFI/BIOS, if possible. You might need to use the ASRock tool again, but you MUST set RAID mode in the UEFI immediately after using the tool. If you can't get RAID mode to boot, you may have a Win 10 installation in your future... Ouch

Replace all cables to the SSDs. Look for the SSDs in the UEFI. You could do either a secure erase or a diskpart command "clean" on the UEFI. Install the Windows IRST software.

If the IRST software seems to not work, I don't know what else to tell you but to install Win 10 again. Set to RAID mode before you install it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic