ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Media&User's Review > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

CPU and DDRAM Red Lights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeteS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CPU and DDRAM Red Lights
    Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 3:18am
Why are My CPU and DRAM RED LEDS on, on my Z690 Extreme WIFI6E?
Pete Step
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 4:34am
What are your components?
PeteS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeteS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 8:18pm
i5 12600K CPU
OLOyDDR4 16GB(2x8)3200
Sabrent 2TB Gen4 M.2
CorsairTX 850w PS
Pete Step
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 8:27pm
Is the system POSTing/booting or is it just powering on and remaining at a black
screen?
If it's not POSTing, is it a new build or was it previously working?
It's hard to help with no idea what is going on, when the system was built, has it
ever worked correctly etc.

If it's a new build, make sure your RAM is in slots A2 and B2 and that your 8pin
CPU power is connected to the board, that is a 4+4 connector from the PSU not the
6+2 PCIe power connector for GPUs.
PeteS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeteS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2024 at 2:27am
It's brand new system, not the first I've built. I have double checked all of the above connectors to make sure they are all seated. The ram is in A2 and B2 and seated, the 4+4 CPU power connector is seated in connector 2, it did same in 1.
When power is present the MB Lights all light up. When the PC is turned on, the red CPU and DRAM lights come on on the MB and the system never POSTs.
I have even removed the processor and reinstalled it to insure that there are no bent pins. I have no idea what else I can do to get the system to POST, other than getting another MB. I have never built an ASRock system, all the prior systems were ASUS, MSI and Gigabyte, and I never had a problem. This ASRock looked like a great MB, but I can't get it to work. Yt never POSTed.
Pete Step
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2024 at 4:13am
Great, thanks for the extra info.

So, the 12600k should be supported on all BIOS versions so an incompatible BIOS
shouldn't be the issue. DRAM and CPU lights being lit and staying lit typically means
either the CPU isn't supported (needs a newer BIOS), RAM not detected/compatible
or a dead CPU.

Make sure the RAM is properly seated, it can be a very tight fit on new boards
sometimes. If that isn't the issue, try clearing CMOS and pulling the battery
with the system disconnected from power. Be sure to press and hold the power switch
for 5 seconds or so to discharge the PSU and board caps and leave it like that
for 10 mins. If that still doesn't work then it may be worth looking into a CPU
RMA. If you search the forums here the vast majority of people with this issue,
it ended up being a DOA CPU. Hopefully that isn't the case.

Let us know how you get on and good luck
PeteS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeteS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2024 at 7:05am
Well I re-checked everything for a 4th time, pulled the battery, cleared CMOS and it still doesn't POST. I left it on for about 5 minutes in case the CPU needed to get any more info from the system No POST no sparks nothing.
is there a sure way to check the CPU, other than using it in another system?
Pete Step
PeteS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeteS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2024 at 7:14am
I have another system with DDR4 RAM I'm going to try pulling the Ram from my other system as a last resort, if that doesn't work I'm going to get a different MB or CPU.
Pete Step
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2024 at 12:30am
Sorry to hear that, it's always such a headache when things don't work on a new
build

If you do go the RMA route I would RMA both the board and the CPU to make sure you
have returned the faulty item. I strongly suspect the CPU is the culprit but with
return windows such as they are, better safe than sorry.
PeteS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeteS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2024 at 1:40am
Of all the systems I built, I've never had a bad processor, both Intel and AMD, but I've had bad motherboards. So my money is on a bad Motherboard.
Pete Step
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic