ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fatal1ty 990FX Killer - Trident X 2400 RAM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thlayli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fatal1ty 990FX Killer - Trident X 2400 RAM
    Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 7:49am
They're incompatible. RMA'd both once already. Replacements have now succumb to the same fate.

I've put over 100+ hours into this on the test bench. 

I'm just gonna get a different motherboard. 

I'm posting this from the PC in question, but with Ripjaws 1333 in. I guess in both instances it zapped the RAM.

So be forewarned.

Edited by thlayli - 04 Jun 2016 at 7:52am
thlayli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thlayli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 8:17am
One question I'd have for Asrock QA if they check this forum:

Do later Rev's of this board handle 2400 RAM better? In both cases I'm using a Rev 1 board.
thlayli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thlayli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2016 at 7:43am
So I replaced the RAM with known-good 1333MHz. Last time, before the board and 2400 RAM were both RMA'd, this would resolve the problem.

But it's still shutting down on me. Gotta be the board. Was a bridge too far to try to get there, I know. Reaching CPU-NB of 2600MHz was tough enough, had to take it over 1.4V. I should've just been happy with that and some tighter timings at 1866 with the Trident X.

But then the new Doom came out and I got greedy.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 10:49am
2600 is unstable on all but the best chips.

To add, much over 2200, in my experiences, doesn't add much to anything other than a smallish bump in synthetic benchmarks.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by thlayli thlayli wrote:

They're incompatible. RMA'd both once already. Replacements have now succumb to the same fate.

I've put over 100+ hours into this on the test bench. 

I'm just gonna get a different motherboard. 

I'm posting this from the PC in question, but with Ripjaws 1333 in. I guess in both instances it zapped the RAM.

So be forewarned.

So I replaced the RAM with known-good 1333MHz. Last time, before the board and 2400 RAM were both RMA'd, this would resolve the problem.

But it's still shutting down on me. Gotta be the board. Was a bridge too far to try to get there, I know. Reaching CPU-NB of 2600MHz was tough enough, had to take it over 1.4V. I should've just been happy with that and some tighter timings at 1866 with the Trident X.

But then the new Doom came out and I got greedy.

Your thread's title includes "Trident X 2400 RAM". I assume that is at least the 2400 memory you are trying to use with the Fatal1ty 990 FX Killer board.

If this is the Trident X 2400 memory you were trying to use (whose default speed is 1333):

http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-2400c10d-16gtx

There are zero AMD boards listed in the G.SKILL QVL list of this memory. That includes seven mother board manufactures, among them ASRock.

ASRock does not include this memory in the Memory Support List of the Fatal1ty 990 FX Killer board. Why did you think you could use this memory with this board? What caused you to believe this memory was compatible with an AMD PC system?

This memory is not compatible with the memory controller specs of AMD processors. That would specifically be the memory chips used in this model of memory. Simply a reality of the differences between AMD and Intel processors.

It's not that the board is a bad design or defective. The board itself is the least contributing factor regarding the incompatibility of this model of memory when used on an AMD system. Could this board be made to work with this memory and still use AMD processors? No.

DDR3 memory is not a generic commodity. We cannot simply purchase any model of DDR3 memory we find attractive and use it in a random PC system. We will get lucky sometimes doing this, perhaps even 50% of the time with inexpensive, standard speed memory. But not every time.

It's not the board.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

2600 is unstable on all but the best chips.

To add, much over 2200, in my experiences, doesn't add much to anything other than a smallish bump in synthetic benchmarks.

OP, you're not getting Memory Speed and Timings confused with CPU/NB Settings, are you???
thlayli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thlayli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Your thread's title includes "Trident X 2400 RAM". I assume that is at least the 2400 memory you are trying to use with the Fatal1ty 990 FX Killer board.

If this is the Trident X 2400 memory you were trying to use (whose default speed is 1333):

http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-2400c10d-16gtx

There are zero AMD boards listed in the G.SKILL QVL list of this memory. That includes seven mother board manufactures, among them ASRock.

ASRock does not include this memory in the Memory Support List of the Fatal1ty 990 FX Killer board. Why did you think you could use this memory with this board? What caused you to believe this memory was compatible with an AMD PC system?

This memory is not compatible with the memory controller specs of AMD processors. That would specifically be the memory chips used in this model of memory. Simply a reality of the differences between AMD and Intel processors.

It's not that the board is a bad design or defective. The board itself is the least contributing factor regarding the incompatibility of this model of memory when used on an AMD system. Could this board be made to work with this memory and still use AMD processors? No.

DDR3 memory is not a generic commodity. We cannot simply purchase any model of DDR3 memory we find attractive and use it in a random PC system. We will get lucky sometimes doing this, perhaps even 50% of the time with inexpensive, standard speed memory. But not every time.

It's not the board.

Thanks for the reply. That doesn't account for the same behavior happening with http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-10666cl9q-16gbxl - which IS on the QVL.

The IMC is crap on the AMD's, I know. Originally my goal was to hit CPUNB of 2800 and 1866 with the RAM. I'd been at 2600/1866 and running fine for the most part.

It takes CPU/NB of 1.4V for me to do 2600. That's worried me since it would seem everyone else on the internet only needs +/- 1.3V to hit that speed.

On a whim last night, I put the 2400 TridentX back in and loaded the 2600/1866 UEFI config that was known-good, that I spent forever dialing in. I know I'd done this already, but here I am, PC not shutting off when I open a browser or video game. Temperamental beasts.

As for WHY I thought they'd be compatible, in my 30 years I'd never known RAM to be exclusive to a chipset/IMC. Sure, it may have said "Optimized for Z97" on it, but all I really cared was the top speed of the RAM was 2400, and the top speed of the Mobo was 2400. This was supposed to be a build that would last me a good while.

I'm just happy it's not shutting off at this point.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 11:37pm
DDR3 is a tricky beast to be sure. There are a fair number of of board generations that supported it and as such standards have evolved more than any RAM generation before it. I know how you feel with regards to things not being as you would expect based on past generations, it can be very frustrating but sadly today it is essential from DDR3 onward to check the QVL. Believe it or not DDR4 is even worse, especially if you are on a socket 2011 platform.
WKjun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WKjun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 8:36pm

Thanks for the reply. That doesn't account for the same behavior happening with http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-10666cl9q-16gbxl - which IS on the QVL.

The IMC is crap on the AMD's, I know. Originally my goal was to hit CPUNB of 2800 and 1866 with the RAM. I'd been at 2600/1866 and running fine for the most part.

It takes CPU/NB of 1.4V for me to do 2600. That's worried me since it would seem everyone else on the internet only needs +/- 1.3V to hit that speed.

On a whim last night, I put the 2400 TridentX back in and loaded the 2600/1866 UEFI config that was known-good, that I spent forever dialing in. I know I'd done this already, but here I am, PC not shutting off when I open a browser or video game. Temperamental beasts.

As for WHY I thought they'd be compatible, in my 30 years I'd never known RAM to be exclusive to a chipset/IMC. Sure, it may have said "Optimized for Z97" on it, but all I really cared was the top speed of the RAM was 2400, and the top speed of the Mobo was 2400. This was supposed to be a build that would last me a good while.

I'm just happy it's not shutting off at this point.

thlayli, firstly, what exactly is your problem with this MB/RAM combo? Your system suddenly shuts off or does not shut down? I don't see through this.

Secondly, where in the QVL of this board do you find your memory? I can't.
http://asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty%20990FX%20Killer/index.asp?cat=Memory&Model=Fatal1ty

There are so many types of memory modules, just one letter different, it is another product! Those brands buy a cheap bunch of chips, opt them for high speeds on whatever CPU/board combo while testing is second priority - AMD is highly possible not testet much, thanks to small maket share.

I'm not a friend of these passing fad memory kits anyway, so hip and hype with their funky heat spreaders, not knowing which memory chips are beneath. I recommend regular "OEM" modules from Kingston ValueRAM, Samsung, Crucial (Micron) and so on. These are testet for widespread compatibility and availability is given much longer.

Higher memory speeds on AMD FX CPUs than 1866 are negligible performance wise. Even 2133 is fine for me, as CPU-NB doesn't need to be touched. But 2400 (or above 2200) is just not worth any tuning. Same for CPU-NB. The FM2+ APUs and good old Phenom II is a different case. Better invest your TDP / temperature margin in CPU core clock OC rather than the CPU-NB.

Thirdly, have you tried to run your memory without OC'ing anything? AMD's memory controller is NOT crap if you leave it alone (at 2200 MHz)! Set NB to 2400 MHz, to make DDR3-2400 possible, can be a sheer pain. And OC'ing the CPU-NB on AMD can make Windows fuzzy. For instance, graphics anomalies, suddenly disabled Aero mode and Internet Explorer not showing a thing except white background. It may even be prime-stable, but not necessarily in reality!
OC is never guaranteed to be stable and if people think their NB OC is stable at 1.3V, it may or may not be. Often people just think their system is stable, but it isn't at all.

Just because you were lucky the past 30 years, it doesn't mean you ran into a compatibility issue here. 20 years ago, there were much viewer kits available, with nearly no "OC sticker" on them. It is far more complicated these days.

And for the specific modules for a specific system, I remind of the AMD optimized OCZ modules in DDR2 times. Even they were problematic on some boards that comprised an AMD CPU.

Of corse it is never a good idea to make modules for a specific system - quoting OCZ support - i have good experience with Radeon RAM. At least they are optimized for AMD's memory controller, but it is still board dependend!
PC1: FX-9590@def|290 |16GB@2133|Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
PC2: FX-8320@4.5|290 |16GB@2133| "
PC3: FX-9590@def|280X|16GB@2133| "
PC4: FX-9370@def|280X|16GB@2133| "
PC5: FX-6300@4.6|7950|16GB@1866|990FX-UD3
thlayli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thlayli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2016 at 6:03am
This is my 2nd set of this RAM and Mobo

G.Skill replaced the first set of 2400 Trident X
and Asrock replaced the first 990FX Killer mobo

Now, after a few solid months with RAM @ 1866MHz and CPUNB @ 2600MHz, I tried bumping it up above those and one or both are fried again.

And unfortunately, I spoke too soon. It's still turning off.

Just off. Not a Windows shutdown. Instant power off.

Edited by thlayli - 19 Jun 2016 at 6:05am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic