ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Confused about Dr Debug error codes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Confused about Dr Debug error codes
    Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 7:15pm
When I boot, the ASRock boot screen shows a bunch of error codes down in the lower right but then the computer boots up just fine.  The same codes appear on the two-digit LED on the board, itself.

Once Windows starts to load the Dr Debug LED is blank.

I assume that the error codes are only problematic if one remains after booting into Windows.

Is that correct?

Thanks,

rgames
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 8:39am
Originally posted by rgames rgames wrote:

When I boot, the ASRock boot screen shows a bunch of error codes down in the lower right but then the computer boots up just fine.  The same codes appear on the two-digit LED on the board, itself.

Once Windows starts to load the Dr Debug LED is blank.

I assume that the error codes are only problematic if one remains after booting into Windows.

Is that correct?

Thanks,

rgames

The code numbers you see displayed are used to identify a specific, individual operation done during the POST process. POST (Power On Self Test) is a set of procedures/tests that verifies the basic operation of a PC mother board's hardware, and the hardware connected to the board. There are many POST procedures, and we are not able to see every code that is displayed, some take very little time. The POST process happens before the OS begins to load/boot.

If a POST test fails, the code number of that test will remain displayed on the Dr. Debug display, and the POST process stops. The PC will not boot into Windows, since a basic hardware problem of some kind was found, that in most cases will prevent the PC from operating normally. We will not be able to use the UEFI/BIOS interface if POST fails, for the same reason.

The POST procedure codes are really not error codes, they simply identify the various POST procedures. If a POST procedure fails, its code is displayed to identify the procedure that failed. There may be multiple reasons why a POST procedure failed, so identifying the failed procedure is just a starting point in diagnosing what the specific problem is.

If any POST procedure fails, the PC startup process will not get to the point where the OS is loaded and executed, since the PC startup process is stopped. Any POST code shown on the display after the OS loads has no meaning, and is just spurious or left over from the last POST procedures that are run (normally the IDE and SATA device tests, A0 - A7.)
rgames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2016 at 10:21am
Hi parsec - thanks for the info!  I figured all was well.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic