ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can I add a Graphics card to my 880GM-LE FX

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can I add a Graphics card to my 880GM-LE FX
    Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 2:17pm
Hi,

Have an 880GM-LE FX with everything on boards.

Can I add a graphics card as I think I am running out off steam with the onboard one.

Any suggestions of what card.. economy.. ?

Not used the gaming or anything really heavy, just a lot of Firefox windows open and several programs open with 2 19" monitors and Win 10 32bit.

Thanks

oz
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 8:38pm
Yes you can. If you are not gaming on the PC however I don't see any reason why you should. You would be better served getting more RAM and or an SSD. The Radeon HD 4250 onboard graphics should be more than adequate for running the tasks you use.

If you do choose to upgrade to a discrete graphics card then I would suggest something like an AMD R7 250 or Nvidia GTX 730, anything less than these and you will be paying a tiny bit less for less than half the performance. The R7 240 for example is significantly slower than the R7 250 but only costs fraction less. 
ozstar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ozstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 9:07pm
Many thanks.

Trouble is I have 8 ram but using win 10 32 so am not taking advantage of it.

I want to put win 10 64 bit on another partition so I can test all my programs, drivers before I commit to a primary 64bit.

I have just been told I will have to pay for another MS licence if I want both 32 and 64 on the same box. That seems a bit unfair but that's MS !

I guess my 32 limitation is what is causing me probs, not the onboard card just as you said.

oz
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 9:17pm
A 32bit OS can only address 3.5gb (listed as 4gb) of RAM so yes that would be a limitation for you. The 64bit OS should run most 32bit apps without issue unless they are very old or poorly written.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 11:36pm
As Xaltar said, you should have no problem running 32 bit software on a 64 bit OS. The real limitation is the obvious opposite, you cannot run a 64 bit application on a 32 bit OS. But even a 64 bit application may be able to run in 32 bit mode, if it is programmed to do so.

There are many basic Windows programs and services that is 32 bit software, that runs on the 64 bit version of Windows. My Windows 10 64 bit installation has a folder in the main Windows folder called System32. That is the folder for the 32 bit Windows programs. The analogous 64 bit program folder is called SysWOW64.

If you examine the contents of each of these folders, you'll see a very similar if not 100% identical content of folders and files. I've never used a 32 bit version of Windows, but you might have the SysWOW64 folder in your Windows 10 32 bit installation.

The System32 folder's contents has a size of 4.52GB. The SysWOW64 folder's contents is 1.19GB.

There is no chance that the contents of the SysWOW64 folder completely replaces the contents of the System32 folder's contents. My point is there are plenty of 32 bit programs that run on 64 bit systems. It is not a requirement that software must be 64 bit to work on a 32 bit OS.

But as Xaltar also said, if you have some old software that won't run on a 64 bit OS, that is really the fault of the software. Of course, if you have software like that, that you must use or simply like and can't get another version, that is more important than what "should be" about that software.

Regarding having a 32 bit and 64 bit version of Windows installed from the same license, that is two installations for the price of one in MSoft's eyes.

EDIT: I see that your board can use the ASRock XFast RAM feature. You could be using a 4GB RAM drive on your 32 bit Windows installation.

But now I see your board only has official support for up to Windows 7. I don't know if the version of XFast RAM available for your board will work with Windows 10.

Also, you seem to have no issues running Windows 10 with your board. That's great, is there any tips you could give to others about how you were able to do that? Some people claim they have problems with Windows 10 with hardware that is newer than yours.

Are you using the standard Windows 10 drivers with your board? Or do you use specific versions of drivers for AMD systems that work for you?

Edited by parsec - 17 Jun 2016 at 11:52pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic