ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

[SOLVED] Dr. Debug code 53 on newly built PC.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yaromir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [SOLVED] Dr. Debug code 53 on newly built PC.
    Posted: 19 Jun 2016 at 3:06am
Hello, everyone.

I need your help.

Just built a new PC and got Dr. Debug code 53 at first power on.
Manual only says that codes 01-54 and 5A-60 mean memory related problems. Found that code 53 means memory initialization failure.

What i did wrong?
I've tried to reinstall memory modules at various configurations: only one at various slots, both at various slots; tried to reinstall CPU; tried to clear CMOS via button at back panel and via jumper; tried to switch to BIOS B (just in case).

All cables seem to be installed correctly. Both 24-pin ATX power cable (as 20+4) and 8-pin CPU power cable (as 4+4) are plugged.

Components: ASRock Z170 Extreme 4+, Core i3-6100, Crucial Ballistix Sport LT BLS2C4G4D240FSB.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by yaromir - 07 Jul 2016 at 3:51pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2016 at 12:12pm
According to Crucial, that memory model you have, Crucial Ballistix Sport LT BLS2C4G4D240FSB, is not compatible with your board. There is a basic reason for that.

Check this page on Crucial's website, and fill in the Will it work with my system compatibility checker:

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/bls2k4g4s240fsd

I can tell you if the model number of the Crucial memory you have given us is correct, you bought SODIMMs that are made for use only with laptop PCs, sorry to say. Their physical size and layout is completely wrong for your board.

Hopefully you can return that memory for a similar model made for desktop boards.

Edited by parsec - 19 Jun 2016 at 12:15pm
yaromir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yaromir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2016 at 4:04pm
Thanks for reply.

I have BLS2C4G4D240FSB, not BLS2K4G4S240FSD. It's a DIMM for desktop PCs, for sure. It looks like this.
It's physically impossible to install SO-DIMM module into desktop board's DIMM slots.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2016 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by yaromir yaromir wrote:

Thanks for reply.

I have BLS2C4G4D240FSB, not BLS2K4G4S240FSD. It's a DIMM for desktop PCs, for sure. It looks like this.
It's physically impossible to install SO-DIMM module into desktop board's DIMM slots.

You would be surprised at some of the things I have seen come into my workshop LOL We have no idea of the experience or competence of posters on the forums here and so must always assume a lower degree of competence so as not to mislead or confuse less experienced members. Generally after a few posts we are able to discern a users level of understanding and adjust accordingly. 

In this case Parsec's advice (despite the wrong memory model) is still valid. Take a look for your RAM on the Crucial site and check for compatibility with your board.

I would also check to see if your BIOS version actually supports your CPU. Take a look at the BIOS chips on your board and see what version they have printed on the white sticker. If it is pre 1.20 then that is your problem. No memory will work if the CPU is not supported, the i3-6100 is supported only from verision 1.20 and up. If the BIOS is older than 1.20 you will have to either take it somewhere to get flashed to a supporting version or order a new BIOS chip preflashed with the correct version.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2016 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by yaromir yaromir wrote:

Thanks for reply.

(Why oh why did I not quote the first post!! Ouch )

So you changed/fixed the model of memory you have from your first post, which we can see from your edit on it, noted at the bottom of your first post. If that did not happen, what did you edit?

I searched on the model number you posted, which I simply highlighted, left clicked on it, and selected search. I also copy and pasted it from your original first post, into my reply.

Why would I make up a memory model number? If I search on the new model number, I don't get a link to the memory I linked to in my first post. So how did I come up with that number?

Given this other Crucial memory model number, we can't find it in your board's Memory Support list:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170%20Extreme4+/?cat=Memory

Unless Europe uses different model numbers?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2016 at 10:05pm
I missed the edit on the OP. I figured google may have popped up the wrong kit, it happens sometimes if the kit model is a bit obscure/new. Google does that thing where it "showing results for xxxxxxx" and it messes things up....

Edited by Xaltar - 19 Jun 2016 at 10:05pm
yaromir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yaromir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2016 at 2:08am
PC is up and running.
Reason was very stupid: modules just weren't pushed down to the end. :) Figured this out when in despair just pulled modules out and reinstalled them. Looks like at first time they weren't fixated properly.

The lesson is: don't be too gentle with memory modules. Don't be too gentle: apply pressure and apply it only on modules, don't touch clamps at all: they should click by themselves. And both clamps should click: both clip (which is closer to the top of the case) and static fixator (which is closer to the bottom of the case): looks like it has some lock inside too.

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

(Why oh why did I not quote the first post!! Ouch )

So you changed/fixed the model of memory you have from your first post, which we can see from your edit on it, noted at the bottom of your first post. If that did not happen, what did you edit?

I didn't edit part number, i didn't edit anything, just added some more information.
Looks like it's a google's issue with "showing results for xxxxxxx" as noticed by Xaltar. Looks like google is still unfamiliar with this particular part number. Nice to know that there are at least some things at this world that google still doesn't have full information profile on. :)

Anyway, relax, man, i'm not offending anyone. Thanks for attention to my problem.

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Given this other Crucial memory model number, we can't find it in your board's Memory Support list:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170%20Extreme4+/?cat=Memory

Yes, i found that list yesterday too and got a bit discouraged. But, as i wrote above, Crucial Ballistix Sport LT BLS2C4G4D240FSB also works fine with ASRock Z170 Extreme 4+. Looks like this list is just a list of memory modules that were actually tested with this board. There is rather big zoo of hardware, you can't test them all.

Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

I would also check to see if your BIOS version actually supports your CPU. Take a look at the BIOS chips on your board and see what version they have printed on the white sticker. If it is pre 1.20 then that is your problem. No memory will work if the CPU is not supported, the i3-6100 is supported only from verision 1.20 and up. If the BIOS is older than 1.20 you will have to either take it somewhere to get flashed to a supporting version or order a new BIOS chip preflashed with the correct version.

Emm, UEFI menu shows that it is 1.00, but i can confirm that Core i3-6100 works fine, including on-chip GPU. Advanced CPU features are also recognized by UEFI. Windows 10 and Ubuntu 14.04 work without any issues.

Thanks for your help, guys.

Edited by yaromir - 20 Jun 2016 at 3:05am
Rahab_RX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahab_RX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2023 at 5:58am
7 years later and I love you. I feel like an idiot too. I'm so used to DDR3 installation that it never occurred to me to push that hard
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic