ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > HTPC&Gaming Barebone&Others
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reinstalling Core i5-2520M CPU in CoreHT PC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reinstalling Core i5-2520M CPU in CoreHT PC
    Posted: 02 Feb 2024 at 10:08pm
I'm trying to reinstall the CPU onto the MB in this CoreHT PC I have.

I've got a CoreHT PC, pretty old new, which I still use connected to my TV. Recently the CPU fan has been running loud most of the time, and after cleaning out dust didn't help, I decided to see if the heatsink paste needed replacing. So I remove the CPU fan.

What I hadn't realised is that CPU/fan is one assembly that all comes out together. Now I'm trying to reinstall it and having issues.

The CPU socket is a ZIF type with a screw to turn to secure the CPU in place. But the heatsink completely covers this screw when I go to install the CPU.

So I'm trying to work out how to do this. Should the screw simply be in a particular position when I screw the cpu/heatsink down? Is there a way to turn the socket-locking mechanism once the CPU is in?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2024 at 11:24pm
It sounds like your thermal compound is either intentionally "glue"/a double
sided tape compound or is so old and hardened it fused the CPU onto the heatsink.
Regardless, it would have been applied after the CPU was installed and you will
need to carefully separate the CPU from the heatsink to reinstall it.

I tend to favor dousing the contact areas in WD40 or other penetrating oil. Once
it's softened up you should be able to carefully separate the CPU and heatsink.

Good luck.
Matt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2024 at 1:28am
OK, that has worked.

https://imgur.com/a/73QTQJN

The CPU was secured to the heatsink, but I was still able to separate them, clean them up, then re-install them one after another.

First the CPU into the ZIF socket and securing it, then applying a little heatsink compound, then screwing the heatsink down on top of it.

I'm still not convinced the two were ever intended to be separated, but all's well that ends well!
Early days, but I think it's running quieter now too. Mission accomplished.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2024 at 4:47am
They were not meant to be stuck together, that kind of thermal compound always
gets very sticky when it's dried out and stale

If the CPU was completely stuck to the heatsink then it's a good thing you replaced
the thermal compound with fresh, you should see improved temps and quieter running. Glad it worked out for you
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic