ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

P67 Extreme 4 BIOS troubles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote izrailsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: P67 Extreme 4 BIOS troubles
    Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 7:34am
My Task Manager shows 100% CPU usage all time on Win 10 although it shows right cpu usage in details tab. I found topc with same bug : 
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/why-is-windows-10-final-build-showing-100-cpu/493e1afa-8fce-4779-8962-8e21dfe57df9?page=1&auth=1 .

Most users  says that BIOS update will help but i am now using Bios 2.1B version - the last one for my B2 revision.
Also i cant control my RAM frequency. I use 2400 c11Kingston FuryX Savage sticks that should  work well on this board on 2133 Frequency, but it works in 1066, 1333 and auto mode only(auto always set it to 1600) If i try to use manual 1600 freq or higher - PC wont boot. XMP or volatge increasing doesnt work at all.

P.S.Before,  i tried to use 3.1 bios (My R9 380 wasnt working with 1.5 bios and 3.1 was only one available version) - got ram and cpu overclocking problems and PC, doesnt booting with GPU in the 2-nd PCE-express slot, so i had to use a hardware programmer to flash it back to 2.1b.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by izrailsky izrailsky wrote:

My Task Manager shows 100% CPU usage all time on Win 10 although it shows right cpu usage in details tab. I found topc with same bug : 
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/why-is-windows-10-final-build-showing-100-cpu/493e1afa-8fce-4779-8962-8e21dfe57df9?page=1&auth=1 .

Most users  says that BIOS update will help but i am now using Bios 2.1B version - the last one for my B2 revision.
Also i cant control my RAM frequency. I use 2400 c11Kingston FuryX Savage sticks that should  work well on this board on 2133 Frequency, but it works in 1066, 1333 and auto mode only(auto always set it to 1600) If i try to use manual 1600 freq or higher - PC wont boot. XMP or volatge increasing doesnt work at all.

P.S.Before,  i tried to use 3.1 bios (My R9 380 wasnt working with 1.5 bios and 3.1 was only one available version) - got ram and cpu overclocking problems and PC, doesnt booting with GPU in the 2-nd PCE-express slot, so i had to use a hardware programmer to flash it back to 2.1b.

Isn't it nice that Microsoft just let that bug happen on older chipset boards, and later BIOS updates to fix it had to be worked out by mother board manufactures? Microsoft could blame it on someone else, as usual. In reality, Microsoft probably had no idea it would happen... and if they didn't know, how could anyone else?

What processor are you using?

The 3.10 BIOS is the Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge compatibility update. Notice the date, 5/23/2012. That existed long before Windows 10, and has nothing in it related to Windows 10. It has nothing in it that would fix any Windows 10 issue.

The 3.10 BIOS is a special BIOS update that updates the CPU microcode and the Intel Management Engine (IME) firmware, that is part of the BIOS file, for use with Ivy Bridge processors.

Changing to a different or earlier BIOS version, after applying the 3.10 BIOS, will NOT change the CPU microcode or the IME firmware. Only BIOS updates that specifically say they are updating the CPU microcode or IME firmware, will do that.

After applying the 3.10 BIOS, you MUST update the IME software, to the version listed with the 3.10 BIOS update. The Windows 10 version to use is Intel Management Engine driver ver:11.0.0.1156.

The IME firmware and software are related to the board's ability to over clock the CPU and memory. If you don't have the correct version installed, you will have problems like you described.

The manual flashback to BIOS 2.1b, which is not listed anywhere in your board's download pages, may be causing all of your problems now. You have the 3.10 CPU microcode and IME firmware, with who know what in the 2.1b BIOS. Plus who knows what the manual flashing to 2.1b also did.

Why are you saying the 2.1b BIOS is the last one for your board? That is clearly not correct.

I HOPE that installing the correct version of the IME software, and running the INF/chipset file installation program FIRST, will correct your problems.

Also, your description of the sequence of events of BIOS updates is confusing. Regardless, the manual flash to 2.1b was a mistake IMO.
izrailsky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote izrailsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 2:16pm
The manual flashback to BIOS 2.1b, which is not listed anywhere in your board's download pages, may be causing all of your problems now. You have the 3.10 CPU microcode and IME firmware, with who know what in the 2.1b BIOS. Plus who knows what the manual flashing to 2.1b also did.

Why are you saying the 2.1b BIOS is the last one for your board? That is clearly not correct.

I HOPE that installing the correct version of the IME software, and running the INF/chipset file installation program FIRST, will correct your problems.

Also, your description of the sequence of events of BIOS updates is confusing. Regardless, the manual flash to 2.1b was a mistake IMO.

Thanks for the reply. 
Alright, Intel p67 Chipset has B2 and B3 revisions. Bios ver 2-2.1 are last for b2. 3.1 bios is for b3 already and works unstable  on b2 revision boards.( I think Intel ME update cause this )
I ve flashed bios  from this site - it is 100% correct -  
As i know, IME software is the part of bios flash file, so, when i flashed bios  i also reflashed IME. Chipset drivers and IME software will possible fix 100% load bug( i have both installed already and it doesnt), but what can i do with RAM ? I can try to reflash IME using DOS flash, or manual flash chip with other version of BIOS again. 
I would be happy to flash 3.1 back, but with this bios i had even more bugs.

1.5-3.1-2.1. I used a hardware programmer cause when i tried to flashback bios via instant flash this led to inability to boot into bios again ( HECI error), so that was the only way.
P.S  CPU is 2500k, IME Firmware version is 7.0.4.1197. Engine driver is 11.0.0.1157.

Edited by izrailsky - 04 Jul 2016 at 2:24pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic