ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac - Poor Bluetooth performance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac - Poor Bluetooth performance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seeayesix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac - Poor Bluetooth performance
    Posted: 12 Jul 2016 at 3:37pm
I've mounted this card in a Phanteks Evolv ITX case, and even while I have my Logitech K810 within a meter from the case, I have problems keeping the keyboard and also other peripherals (DS4 gamepad, BT speakers) connected to the computer.

I'm currently using a USB BT-dongle since the built in BT on the wifi-card is useless.

Is there any way to get this to work better?
hiluke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hiluke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 9:40am
Do you have the wifi antenna connected?
The bluetooth uses this as well.
I had a similar problem with BT range until I attached the antenna.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 10:12am
As hiluke said, an antenna for the onboard Bluetooth is essential. There are several factors that influence the range and signal strength of the Bluetooth connection.

Mobile devices that have Bluetooth all have some type of antenna within the device. Mobile devices are much smaller than a PC case, and the PC case is a major cause of interference with a Bluetooth device that does not have an antenna of some kind.  An external antenna will be necessary for most if not all PC cases. The amount of metal in a PC case blocks and even captures a Bluetooth signal, and routes it to ground, as the PC case is (should be) connected to ground.

Non-Bluetooth wireless keyboards and mice suffer from signal loss too. Radio waves can be disturbed by things we may never consider.
seeayesix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seeayesix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2016 at 2:03pm
I'll try to move the antenna but it is connected and it's resting on top of the computer, which is placed on my desk and within a meter from the keyboard.

I can't find any information in the manual that states that the external antenna is necessary for the BT radio, it's only listed as a 2.4/5GHz WiFi antenna. The manual should probably be updated with that information.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic