ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fatal1ty Performance 970 and RAM issues!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCOOBY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fatal1ty Performance 970 and RAM issues!
    Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 11:29am
Before I start I would just like to say "please be patient with me, i'm a complete novice when it comes down to anything computer related, I barely understand any terminology so please don't get annoyed with me when I eventually start talking absolute rubbish"

For those still with me here thanks for keeping with me and here goes.

Current PC Configuration
WINDOWS 10 PRO X64
BIOS v1.30
ASROCK PERFORMANCE 970 MB AM3+
AMD FX 6350 CPU
2 x 4GB STICKS OF CRUCIAL BALLISTIX TRACER  1866Mhz RAM
(BLT2CP4G3D1869DT2TXRG)

EVGA GTX960SSC GRAPHIC CARD
CORSAIR H80iGT LIQUID COOLING
CORSAIR CX750 PSU
HITACHI 500GB HHD
SAMSUNG 75GB HHD

All the very latest drivers installed within the last few days........

Everything has been working perfectly until the last couple of months, after updating to WIN10 i began to notice many of the gams that i have installed started to stutter and suffer from fps drops, when i found out that W10 was memory hungry i decided in my wisdom (or lack of) to purchase a matching set of memory sticks to the pair already installed.
There is where my problems started, after installing the RAM sticks in A1 & B1 as per the manual my pc failed to boot up (post) even though the sticks were displaying activity through the LED tracer lights.
After removing the offending sticks i booted up  the pc and entered the bios sttings to change the memory profile from XMP1.3 to auto hoping that this make a difference...........
Well it did make a difference, now the bios indicates that the memory is in single channel mode so now i only have active memory of 4GB which is inturn giving me no end of BSOD every time the computer does anything else but browse the internet.

So here i am gents and ladies (maybe) I am at your complete mercy, i'm a quite heavily disabled 50yr old guy who is virtually housebound thanks inpart to a degenerative illness and a damn big wheelchair that is too wide to fit through doorways.
I rely so much on my pc to experience the outside world, meet people and talk to my family spread all over the world.
You lots are my last hope / saviours as I have no idea what to do to get things back to normal

Regards & Respect
SCOOBY
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 2:54pm
That it indicates running in Single Channel with 2 kits of 2x4GB sticks tells me the 2 individual kits have different timings.

Do me a favor to verify this please. Download and install CPU-z, then with one kits 2 sticks installed upload a CPU-z screenshot of the Memory and SPD tabs. Do this for each kit.

.. wardog

Edited by wardog - 13 Jul 2016 at 2:55pm
WKjun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WKjun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 12:18am
Dear SCOOBY!

Just to let you know, until now you have not told us any rubbish at all! :)

CPU-Z is a good thing to start with. Especially regarding your original memory, which you didn't mention. Is it 2 x 4GB too?

I personally doubt that memory timings may have anything to do with your single-channel situation. But first things first. To get your system back to normal, forget about the new modules for now.

1. Reset BIOS to defaults

2. To be sure your old modules are inserted correctly, remove them and put them back in, just in case the installation procedure made them loose. See if it makes a difference - from your words I conclude it should have been 8GB instead of 4GB, but I'm pretty sure that your BSOD you experience have nothing to do with lack of memory, but incorrect installation and/or BIOS settings.

3. You could also try the other slots A2 & B2.

Let's wait for you results.

As for the new modules, at first I recommend testing them without the old ones (BIOS at defaults), just to see if they work at all. Then we'll work to get them all running.

Kind regards!

Edited by WKjun - 14 Jul 2016 at 12:20am
PC1: FX-9590@def|290 |16GB@2133|Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
PC2: FX-8320@4.5|290 |16GB@2133| "
PC3: FX-9590@def|280X|16GB@2133| "
PC4: FX-9370@def|280X|16GB@2133| "
PC5: FX-6300@4.6|7950|16GB@1866|990FX-UD3
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 11:07am
Scoob, How's it going  there?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2016 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

That it indicates running in Single Channel with 2 kits of 2x4GB sticks tells me the 2 individual kits have different timings.

Or possibly a bent/missing pin on the processor.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic