ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - X99E-itx/ac stuck @ "Processing Crashless feature"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X99E-itx/ac stuck @ "Processing Crashless feature"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XandrEU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X99E-itx/ac stuck @ "Processing Crashless feature"
    Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 6:19pm
I tried doing an Internet Flash of my X99E-itx/ac which was on 1.40 to the offered 3.10.

Unfortunately that failed and eventually got stuck on "Processing Crashless feature..." staying at 0%

I have now tried downloading the instant flash files for pretty much all available versions - 1.40, 1.50, 3.10, as well as 3.11a and 3.20 from the Beta Zone - without success either.

To give you an idea what I tried:

I formatted an USB stick to Fat32 and simply copied the unzipped BIOS file onto the USB, plugged it into one of the USB 2.0 ports on the back and turned the PC on.

With the 1.40 (X99EITX1.40) and 1.50 (X99EITX1.50) file, the ASRock screen will show up after which it goes into the "Recovery UEFI V2015" where it shows a progress bar titled "Processing Crashless feature..." that stays at 0% for about 30 minutes after which the computer simply turns off.

Trying the same with any of the newer files (X99EITX3.10, X99EITX3.11A, X99EITX3.20) will result in the ASRock screen not even showing up.

I'm completely out of ideas at this point and wonder if there's anything I've been doing wrong or if there is another approach I could try.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2016 at 12:05am
Originally posted by XandrEU XandrEU wrote:

I tried doing an Internet Flash of my X99E-itx/ac which was on 1.40 to the offered 3.10.

Unfortunately that failed and eventually got stuck on "Processing Crashless feature..." staying at 0%

I have now tried downloading the instant flash files for pretty much all available versions - 1.40, 1.50, 3.10, as well as 3.11a and 3.20 from the Beta Zone - without success either.

I formatted an USB stick to Fat32 and simply copied the unzipped BIOS file onto the USB, plugged it into one of the USB 2.0 ports on the back and turned the PC on.

With the 1.40 (X99EITX1.40) and 1.50 (X99EITX1.50) file, the ASRock screen will show up after which it goes into the "Recovery UEFI V2015" where it shows a progress bar titled "Processing Crashless feature..." that stays at 0% for about 30 minutes after which the computer simply turns off.

Trying the same with any of the newer files (X99EITX3.10, X99EITX3.11A, X99EITX3.20) will result in the ASRock screen not even showing up.

I'm completely out of ideas at this point and wonder if there's anything I've been doing wrong or if there is another approach I could try.

I'm not sure what happened when you tried the Internet Flash feature, but recently it is now suggested (required?) to insert a USB flash drive into a USB 2.0 port on the board's IO panel. That is done to save a copy of the Instant Flash file that is downloaded, for use if there is a problem during the BIOS update, such as a power loss.

As long as you copied the unzipped BIOS update file to the USB flash drive, it should have worked fine.

How did you manually format the USB flash drive? I never bother to format USB flash drives, I just use them as is out of the box.

If I want to format one as a cleanup operation before using it for a Windows installation, I'll use the Windows diskpart tool in a Command Prompt (Admin) window, like this:
  • diskpart
  • list disk
  • select disk x (where x is the number of the USB flash drive)
  • detail disk (this is to verify that you selected the correct disk before using "clean" below)
  • clean
  • create partition primary
  • format fs=fat32 quick
  • active
  • assign
  • list volume
  • exit
Do you have an OC of the CPU and/or memory on that PC? If so, try setting the CPU and memory to stock speeds. An OC might have an instability that interferes with the BIOS update.

Actually, in your case I would go into the BIOS and in the Exit screen click on Load UEFI Defaults. That is to clear up anything that might be causing Instant Flash to fail.

I updated the UEFI/BIOS on my X99 Extreme6/3.1 board using Instant Flash twice this week. I had a sneak peak at the upcoming 3.10 Beta UEFI for this board first, and then updated to the official version yesterday. Both updates were smooth and perfect.

I was bold and tried using a USB 3.0 port on the board's IO panel. I happened to be using a USB 3.0 flash drive too. That worked great, and seemed to go a bit faster than using the USB 2.0 port. As long as Instant Flash recognizes the BIOS update file, it should work fine.

If you are planning on updating to any of the newest 3.xx BIOS versions, keep in mind they add support for Broadwell-E processors. Using any of the Broadwell-E compatible BIOS versions will also require an update to the Intel Management Engine (IME) software, even if you are still using a Haswell-E processor. I suggest doing the IME software update before doing the Broadwell-E compatible BIOS update.

For some reason, I don't see the Intel Management Engine driver ver:11.0.4.1186 file anywhere on your board's download pages. That is the IME version needed for the Broadwell-E BIOS updates. You can get the file on my X99 board's download page. The installation file is the same for Win 7 - Win 10:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X99%20Extreme63.1/?cat=Download&os=Win1064

During the BIOS update, the Processing Crashless Feature process should start right away. The progress bar should be changing without any delay. If it doesn't, I would press the Reset button on the PC case, and then don't touch anything, and let the BIOS update recover on its own. Waiting for 30 minutes or even two minutes is a waste of time.
XandrEU View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XandrEU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2016 at 2:30am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

I'm not sure what happened when you tried the Internet Flash feature, but recently it is now suggested (required?) to insert a USB flash drive into a USB 2.0 port on the board's IO panel. That is done to save a copy of the Instant Flash file that is downloaded, for use if there is a problem during the BIOS update, such as a power loss.

It doesn't appear to be required since it didn't ask me to connect an USB drive when I tried doing the internet update.

As long as you copied the unzipped BIOS update file to the USB flash drive, it should have worked fine.

How did you manually format the USB flash drive? I never bother to format USB flash drives, I just use them as is out of the box.

If I want to format one as a cleanup operation before using it for a Windows installation, I'll use the Windows diskpart tool in a Command Prompt (Admin) window, like this:
  • diskpart
  • list disk
  • select disk x (where x is the number of the USB flash drive)
  • detail disk (this is to verify that you selected the correct disk before using "clean" below)
  • clean
  • create partition primary
  • format fs=fat32 quick
  • active
  • assign
  • list volume
  • exit

Usually my USB sticks are either formatted in HFS+ or ExFAT since all my other computers are Macs. I formatted the USB using the Mac OS "Disk Utility". I even tried formatting the USB from within a Windows 7 VM (simply by right-clicking in Explorer and choosing "Format") but that doesn't make a difference.

Do you have an OC of the CPU and/or memory on that PC? If so, try setting the CPU and memory to stock speeds. An OC might have an instability that interferes with the BIOS update.

Actually, in your case I would go into the BIOS and in the Exit screen click on Load UEFI Defaults. That is to clear up anything that might be causing Instant Flash to fail.

I did have an OC, but the BIOS had reset to defaults already, which is why I was even in there to begin with and figured "hey, why not do the update while you're here?".

Going into the BIOS and loading defaults is not an option since I can't even get that far. No matter what key I press on the ASRock screen, be it Del/F2 or F6, it always takes me to the "Recovery UEFI V2015" right away.

I was bold and tried using a USB 3.0 port on the board's IO panel. I happened to be using a USB 3.0 flash drive too. That worked great, and seemed to go a bit faster than using the USB 2.0 port. As long as Instant Flash recognizes the BIOS update file, it should work fine.

I tried three different USB drives, one that's supposed to be USB 3.0 and two that are USB 2.0. I tried it on both, USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports, no difference.

If you are planning on updating to any of the newest 3.xx BIOS versions, keep in mind they add support for Broadwell-E processors. Using any of the Broadwell-E compatible BIOS versions will also require an update to the Intel Management Engine (IME) software, even if you are still using a Haswell-E processor. I suggest doing the IME software update before doing the Broadwell-E compatible BIOS update.

For some reason, I don't see the Intel Management Engine driver ver:11.0.4.1186 file anywhere on your board's download pages. That is the IME version needed for the Broadwell-E BIOS updates. You can get the file on my X99 board's download page. The installation file is the same for Win 7 - Win 10:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X99%20Extreme63.1/?cat=Download&os=Win1064

At this point I don't really care anymore. 1.40 worked fine and I shouldn't have messed with it, so I'm happy with going back to 1.40 and not touching 3.x until I actually get a Broadwell-E. Besides, with any of the 3.x files on the USB, I don't even get into the recovery.

During the BIOS update, the Processing Crashless Feature process should start right away. The progress bar should be changing without any delay. If it doesn't, I would press the Reset button on the PC case, and then don't touch anything, and let the BIOS update recover on its own. Waiting for 30 minutes or even two minutes is a waste of time.

My case doesn't have a reset button. I assume just holding the power button for 5s until it turns off and turning it on again would have the same effect?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2016 at 4:16am
The power button is not a substitute for reset. It is not recommended to power off the system when updating the BIOS, even if there is a hang/freeze. 

XandrEU View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XandrEU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2016 at 5:08am
Originally posted by Xaltar Xaltar wrote:

The power button is not a substitute for reset. It is not recommended to power off the system when updating the BIOS, even if there is a hang/freeze. 

Well yeah, I'm well aware of that, which is why I have let it sit there for 30 min, doing absolutely nothing until the computer shut off by itself.

Still doesn't answer my main question: Is there anything I can do other than send in the board for service or buy myself a replacement BIOS chip?

Current state:

- Initial attempt to do an Internet Update appears to have failed since it doesn't even boot up to the ASRock screen unless there's a USB drive connected which either has the 1.40 or 1.50 instant flash file on it
- The recovery system recognises instant flash images on USB but doesn't actually recover using them as it just sits at 0% on "Processing Crashless feature..."

Filenames seem to only matter partially, as I can rename the X99EITX1.40 to X99EITX3.10 and it will boot into the recovery screen, however renaming the actual X99EITX3.10 to X99EITX1.40 doesn't do anything. No Asrock screen, no recovery, nothing.

I would assume that the file the Internet Update downloads is the same as the Instant Flash download from the website, but could it be that it specifically waits for the image of the update that failed?

Either way, I could really do with a solution to this.

Edited by XandrEU - 16 Jul 2016 at 5:09am
xandy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 10:22pm
Hi, I too was having problems for months trying to update the UEFI/BIOS on an ASRock N3700-ITX Motherboard. After a lot of messing about trying with different versions and methods, I eventually tried disabling the Secure Boot and I think that got it working and I've now successfully updated the UEFI/BIOS. If you have Secure Boot enabled, try disabling it. Just remember to re-enable it once it's updated, before the OS boots, of course.
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 6:19pm
Dear Customer:
This is ASRock TSD Bryan.

For your issue, please fill in the support request form, and we will assist you.
support request form: http://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp?ln=en
Thank you.

Yours truly,
ASRock TSD
vmali View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 7:57pm
I tried doing an Internet Flash of my X99E-itx/ac which was on 1.40 to the offered 3.10.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic