ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

SM951 as OS boot device information

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 17181920>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Gunslinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 5:34pm

Thanks for the Reply. I have dropped them a request for help, but don't have a reference number and am waiting for some reply other than the automated one

The Version i have is NOT the NVMe one, but the AHCI version. I figured that the NVMe support may not be extended back to the z87 boards, but had hoped for support for the AHCI version, given that the boards are hardly obsolete !

I can't remember if i put in the information that it was the AHCI one i have, hopefully someone will be in touch soon, so i know one way or the other, because i can't use the system as it stands, and if i have to buy a different board i will

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 1:12pm
For any requests regarding booting from the SM951 the feature you need to request is called NVMe support. 

Asrock has no plans to release official support on boards with chipsets older than the intel 9 series. However, as tech support posted in this thread, if you would like assistance with a board not listed for support contact them via:

Asrock have already provided assistance to one forum member here using a z77 board (link to bios update in OP) so you are not without options. Please allow time for Asrock to process your request and get back to you.

Gunslinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 6:39am
Probably clutching at straws, but i'd like to know if there will be any support for the SM951 AHCI version used in an adapter on the Z87m OC Formula board ?

I can't get it to boot to it :(

I have sent a tech support request, but don't have a reference number to include.

The adapter i'm using is the Addonics AD3M2SPX4 - (M2 PCIe + 2 M2 SATA on PCIe x4) which supports the full Gen3 x4 speed
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 10:07pm
Greetings, this is ASRock Technical Supports Department.

Due to we don?™t update every BIOS version to website, we recommend user who is using PCIE adapter to use SM951/XP941 to contact our support email box.
We will help for further process. 

http://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp 

Kindest regards,
ASRock TSD

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 2:44pm
That should do the trick nicely Wink
tobysmiles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobysmiles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 2:10pm
This seems like a good solution to the heat problem.  Should increase airflow to the drive and it has a heat sink

http://www.amazon.mk/M2P4A-PCIe-2-0-NGFF-Adapter/dp/B00IPO7YCU

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobysmiles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 1:26pm
I noticed that too.  Also noticed that the sm951 shows up on the list on compatible hard drives for the X99 Extreme 3.

Once the BIOS update is released and installed, can it be installed as a boot drive easily like any other SSD?  Also, will it be OK to be my only system drive for the time being?  It will be easier to swallow the $400 for the 512 GB if I don't have to buy a second drive as well.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 1:14pm
I am not sure myself, but I am sure that all boards supporting the SM951 and similar drives will likely see an update fairly soon given that Asrock is supplying the 128gb version of the SM951 on their site now.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobysmiles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 1:09pm
Is this what you are talking about?  If so, the last three updates all have made improvements to M.2 compatibility.  Not sure if it's the improvements everyone seems to be looking for though
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 12:39pm
Keep an eye on the bios section of the board's product page. Updates could be releases at any time. 

To answer your other questions:

1. It is always advisable to have good airflow in your case so I would go for a solid case with good airflow regardless of whether the SM951 runs hot or not (which it does).
According to some reviews I have read on the SM951 (I do not have one on hand to test myself) the SSD reaches thermal throttling temps pretty quickly under heavy loads. Apparently this problem is easily addressed by having a decent case fan blowing directly onto the SSD. Personally I would pick up some self adhering heat sinks and affix them to the SSD just to be on the safe side but I don't know how that would affect the warranty. I suppose a compromise would be to use a heatsink with thermal pads and find some way to fix it to the SSD that can easily be removed should you need to RMA it or send it for warranty replacement. Bare in mind however that the kind of workloads the drives in question were subjected to were extreme for benchmarking purposes and the simple addition of a 120mm silent fan over the drive was sufficient to drop temps from mid ~80c to high ~50c. That should prove more than adequate under more normal workloads.

2. You will have more than enough PCIE lanes from a Xeon CPU to run the SM951 and almost any GPU config without depriving the GPU/s of lanes.

Edited by Xaltar - 25 Jun 2015 at 1:01pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 17181920>
  Share Topic