ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - A88M-G/3.1 bios questions undervolt, fancontrol
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

A88M-G/3.1 bios questions undervolt, fancontrol

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankTank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A88M-G/3.1 bios questions undervolt, fancontrol
    Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 4:42am
Hello Asrock community,
I´m interested in the A88M-G/3.1 Mainboard but have some open questions. Would be fantastic if someone could answer them:

1. Is it possible to undervolt the cpu without loosing automatic voltage features like turbo mode, cool&quite and so on? Or if I undervolt the cpu would the voltage be static(same voltage every time)?
+ Is there a bios option to undervolt the cpu with a "offset-voltage" and/or "adaptiv-voltage" mode?

2. Some time ago I´ve read a review about the
FM2A85X Extreme4-M. It has a very good bios fan control (in my opinion). Does the A88M-G/3.1 have the same bios fan control with multiple adjustable fancontrol-points and smooth speed-transition and a range from 0 to 100% fanspeed?

3. Does it provide fan control for a 3-pin fan? I currently have a good 3-pin fan but it needs to be set to 20-40% fanspeed. The fanspeed for my 3-pin can be static. Automatic temp-controlling is not necessarily needed here. Will that be possible or will it just run at 100% all the time?

4. Not as important but useful: is it possible to configure the
"keyboard power on" feature with a key-kombination (more than 1 key to avoid starting by accident)?

Many thanks in advance!!!
FrankTank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankTank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 2:57am
push...
are all Asrock staff on holidays? Wink
I did some forum and google search but all questions remains open. Unhappy

The only thing I fond was this: http://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2915&title=3pin-fan-dc-speed-control-support
It says "most" boards can control 3-pin fans. I think A88M-G/3.1 should do it as well but still not 100% sure and there is no word on this in the manual.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by FrankTank FrankTank wrote:

Hello Asrock community,
I´m interested in the A88M-G/3.1 Mainboard but have some open questions. Would be fantastic if someone could answer them:

1. Is it possible to undervolt the cpu without loosing automatic voltage features like turbo mode, cool&quite and so on? Or if I undervolt the cpu would the voltage be static(same voltage every time)?
+ Is there a bios option to undervolt the cpu with a "offset-voltage" and/or "adaptiv-voltage" mode?

2. Some time ago I´ve read a review about the
FM2A85X Extreme4-M. It has a very good bios fan control (in my opinion). Does the A88M-G/3.1 have the same bios fan control with multiple adjustable fancontrol-points and smooth speed-transition and a range from 0 to 100% fanspeed?

3. Does it provide fan control for a 3-pin fan? I currently have a good 3-pin fan but it needs to be set to 20-40% fanspeed. The fanspeed for my 3-pin can be static. Automatic temp-controlling is not necessarily needed here. Will that be possible or will it just run at 100% all the time?

4. Not as important but useful: is it possible to configure the
"keyboard power on" feature with a key-kombination (more than 1 key to avoid starting by accident)?

Many thanks in advance!!!

Keep in mind this board is more of a budget oriented model, so won't include all the features in the BIOS that more expensive boards will have.

I'm referencing this board's manual regarding its BIOS features, and those features can change with new BIOS versions, normally adding options with new versions in some cases.

The CPU voltage can be manually adjusted with the Multiplier/Voltage Change option, and the Overclock Mode option. So under-volting is possible, although that also depends upon how well the CPU you have responds to that.

Under-volting should not cause CPU options to disappear, like Turbo, but when under-volted a CPU may not be stable when trying to run at the Turbo frequency.

Cool n Quiet is an automatic CPU voltage control option, which should not disappear as an option depending upon a CPU voltage setting, but again CPU stability at low voltages will be the potential problem.

Fan speed control is available in the BIOS, that can control three pin fans. Fan speed changes with temperature, and you can select the CPU or mother board temperature. The CPU_Fan1 header will be PWM controlled, so only four pin PWM fans will work correctly on that header. The four pin Chassis fans can be used with three and four pin fans.

I have never seen a multiple-key setting for the keyboard power on feature, on any ASRock board.
FrankTank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankTank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 3:35am
Hi parsec, many thanks for your extensive reply Thumbs Up

So that means if I a cpu has 1,4v and I undervolt 0,1v it would not stay allways at 1,3v but it would allways be 0,1v less than at normal mode? Is that correct?

@fancontrol
that sounds good. That should be written into the manual.
on this page (click on "Bewertungen") someone (1st post) noted that it can handle 3-pin fans only at 100%. I hope he has no clue...

@keyboard power on
hmm, maybe there are other useful ways to power on the system but Asrock should implement at least 2 keys. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic