ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Z170 Extreme 4 + Samsung 950 Pro = :(  SOLVED!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Extreme 4 + Samsung 950 Pro = :( SOLVED!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
LutaWicasa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LutaWicasa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 1:12am
Sorry 'bout that....my board is horizontal.
Mounted on a caseless benchin' rig  Wink
I7 6700K
Z170 Extreme6
2x8 GSkill Rip Jaw 3200
Samsung 512 950Pro NVME
EVGA 1070 FTW
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by LutaWicasa LutaWicasa wrote:

Sata 3 -0 and 3    -1 are indeed horizontal.
View image on page 25 Wink

Funny, very funny... Wink

Actually, I like that picture better, thanks!

This shows the orientation of the SATA ports as they actually are on the mother board. It also shows the relationship between the SATA ports and the SATA Express Connector, and how they are all related to the M.2 slot.

But, the OP could be saying the SATA3_2 and SATA3_3 ports are on the "bottom", because those two ports are the two bottom ports of the "stack" of ports, IF you are looking at the board's right side edge. For those two ports to be horizontal, the board would need to be laying on a table.

I agree this can be confusing, but I choose the manual's pictures as the reference.
LutaWicasa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LutaWicasa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 5:33am
Sata 3 -0 and 3    -1 are indeed horizontal.
View image on page 25 Wink
I7 6700K
Z170 Extreme6
2x8 GSkill Rip Jaw 3200
Samsung 512 950Pro NVME
EVGA 1070 FTW
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 1:48pm
No, that is not the problem. What you see with the driver for a storage drive, HDD or SSD of any kind, is normal. My drives are the same way.

You are confused about what device the NVMe (or SATA) driver belongs to. That happens all the time to people.

The device the NVMe driver is used by is a Storage controller. You have that entry in Device Manager. If you had two or three 950 Pros in your board, you would see three 950 Pros listed under Disk drives, but you would have only one Samsung NVMe Controller.

Don't worry about why my 950 Pro entry includes "SCSI", that is a side affect of using RAID mode.

Moving on, from an earlier one of your posts:

Originally posted by EvilDragon EvilDragon wrote:

Also, I am positive on SATA ports. In fact, on my board SATA 0 and 1 ARE horizontally next to each other ;) Those two are vacant, 100% positive (since the bottom two SATA ports are filled with SSDs, I would notice if one of them wouldn't be recognized due to M.2 stealing a port or two...)

Sorry, but I see you are in Croatia, so I want to be sure we both know what I mean.

Horizontal means a line like this: ------- side to side.  Vertical means up and down like this: |

This is from your boards manual:

According to your board's manual, the SATA3_0 and SATA3_1 ports are not oriented horizontally.

Number 9, above, shows SATA3_0 and SATA3_2 are horizontally oriented.

Number 10 shows SATA3_1 and SATA3_3 are horizontally oriented.

The SATA3_0 and SATA3_1 ports are vertically oriented to each other.

I can only go by the manual, but my Z170 Extreme7+ board has the Intel SATA ports exactly like this.

You said, "since the bottom two SATA ports are filled with SSDs...". The bottom two SATA ports are ports 1 and 3, number 10 in the picture, looking at the board like the picture. I think you have a SATA drive in the SATA3_1 port.

While having an M.2 SSD in the M.2 slot should disable SATA ports 0 and 1, it seems like that is not happening. It seems the 950 Pro is only getting half the resources it requires, since the other drive is using them, or those resources become unavailable to both drives.

If I am right (Please check!) just move the SATA data cable from SATA3_1 to SATA3_2, and see what happens with the 950 Pro. Both of the SATA data cables should be in the SATA ports closest to the board.

The temperatures of all your drives, CPU, etc, don't tell the whole story. The 950 Pro is not in that list. You've never used an M.2 SSD before, and don't know how warm they can be. I doubt your 950 Pro is throttling, but you have not provided any temperature data for your 950 Pro.

EvilDragon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EvilDragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 11:04pm
I apologize for that. Understand my annoyance on the problem I'm having, though...

Here's the same image without any words :)

Could this be the root of the issue, perhaps?

Edited by EvilDragon - 23 Jul 2016 at 11:17pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EvilDragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 3:48am
Mr. Parsec are you still around? :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EvilDragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 12:29am
BTW here's a screenshot of System Info for Windows about temps... I think I have a pretty cool machine :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EvilDragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 12:08am
I have a REALLY KICKASS Fractal Design Define XL R2 big tower (I'm NEVER gonna use anything else, such a great case!!), with Noctua NH-D15 cooling the CPU (both 14 cm fans blowing at it!) and two 14 cm Fractal fans in front taking air in and blowing it on the cards, HDDs (I have 2x2 TB WD Black in the bottom drive tray, I removed the top drive tray to secure more airflow), so by extension also the M.2 drive, hopefully.

I really don't think it's thermal throttling, because I don't get temps above 50°C anywhere inside the case...

Oh and Device Manager correctly recognizes Samsung NVMe driver...

I will check the M.2 card mounting, but yes it's secured with that screw alright...

Not sure about this drive being defective, I got it as a gift from a friend of mine who really used it for like a couple of weeks (without fault, might I add) then went onto Intel 750 PCIe drives... I never got better benchmarks than these, certainly nothing even remotely CLOSE to the specs.

Yes, I did clearing CMOS multiple times. No change whatsoever. Yes, I did do manual TRIM indeed.

Also, I am positive on SATA ports. In fact, on my board SATA 0 and 1 ARE horizontally next to each other ;) Those two are vacant, 100% positive (since the bottom two SATA ports are filled with SSDs, I would notice if one of them wouldn't be recognized due to M.2 stealing a port or two...)

Edited by EvilDragon - 22 Jul 2016 at 12:30am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by EvilDragon EvilDragon wrote:

Unfortunately no change! :(

Magician still reports 8 Gbps and benchmarks are the same...

Oh Censored I thought I nailed that one! Sorry to hear that!

I still think it is suspicious that your benchmark results look like a SATA III SSD. Now that I looked at it again (the Crystal results in particular), the results for the 4K and 4K Q32 are bad even for a SATA III SSD. The high queue depth (Q32) performance of NVMe SSDs is far superior to SATA III SSDs, which we are not seeing in your benchmarks. It is very strange that the Sequential Q32 Read speed is less than half the single file Sequential speed, 525MBs vs 1218 MBs.

This is my 256GB 950 Pro on my ASRock Z170 board. Apparently you've never had a result like this:

This is a Samsung 840 Pro in the same PC:

Here's another thing I just noticed. I updated to the latest version of Magician, and got this:

It shows 8Gbps now for my Z170 board's M.2 slot too. I ran Crystal again on my 950, and the result was normal.

After checking into this, I learned that DMI 3.0 and PCIe 3.0 are both rated at 8Gbps (or more accurately, 8GTs, 8 Giga-Transfers per second). So the Magician software is now reporting the DMI 3.0 speed correctly. The 10Gbps rate is actually what a DMI 1.0 x4 connection would provide. This is unrelated to your problem.

I wonder how correct this data in Magician really is. Meaning is it truly checking the connection bandwidth and width provided to the 950 Pro.

Moving on, my thoughts and suggestions for you:

Have you ever checked the temperature of the 950 Pro? They run hot, and will throttle their speed at ~70° C. It seems you have nothing covering it, your three cards in the PCIe slots are all below it, and you don't have a video card. What do you use for a CPU cooler? What kind of PC case do you have, and location of case fans?

The monitoring programs HWiNFO64 and AIDA64 will display the temperature of your 950 Pro. When I just ran Crystal on my 950 Pro, it reached 54° C. The temperature throttling is a known issue with this SSD, it has been found and reported in many reviews on the Internet. I have a small heat sink on the controller chip, and a fan blowing air over the mother board in that area, so it idles at 34° C, on a warm day like today. The Magician SMART data for the 950 Pro has temperature data, but it is not converted into a true value.

I wonder if you have a defective 950 Pro? Have you ever had a benchmark result better than the one you posted?

I would remove the 950 from the M.2 slot, but first I would check if it was inserted in the M.2 slot correctly. You have it mounted with that tiny screw, right?

Remove it (carefully) and examine the M.2 slot itself. Do all the tiny connections seem fine? All lined up evenly, none shorted together or damaged?

Check both sides of the 950's connection end. You could clean the gold contacts with alcohol on a Q-Tip, and if you have that compressed gas for blowing off dust, do a few short bursts (NOT TO CLOSE!!) at the M.2 slot. Looking at the M.2 slot on any board, it's a miracle they work IMO. Pinch

Have you tried clearing the UEFI/BIOS? If not, save your current settings in a profile first, and then shutdown the PC, remove it from power, and do a full UEFI/BIOS clear. That is, move the CMOS jumper to the clear position, and remove the board's battery for several minutes. You probably can skip removing the battery, but I would definitely try a UEFI clear.

I can't think of any other UEFI options that would cause this issue. I have those DMI ASPM options enabled in my UEFI configuration, which is not causing any problems.

I would leave Force M.2 on Auto. You are positive you don't have a SATA drive connected to the SATA3_0 or SATA3_1? The numbering of the SATA ports can be confusing, those two ports are next to each other vertically, not horizontally.

Did you check the Device Manager entry for the Samsung NVMe controller? Seems fine in Magician, but who knows?

Did you ever run a manual TRIM on it, in Windows, the Properties, Tools, Optimize option? I wonder if the multiple OS installations has it in need of cleanup.

This is a weird but fascinating issue. I was hoping changing Force M.2 would work, but did not want to find a bug in the UEFI, which that would be. Please check your 950's temperature first, then do the UEFI/BIOS clear test, and finally the physical removal and inspection.

I really want to keep after this one, so let me know! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EvilDragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 3:59pm
Unfortunately no change! :(

Magician still reports 8 Gbps and benchmarks are the same...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic