ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Z170 Extreme 4 + Samsung 950 Pro = :(  SOLVED!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Extreme 4 + Samsung 950 Pro = :( SOLVED!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LutaWicasa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 5:33am
Sata 3 -0 and 3    -1 are indeed horizontal.
View image on page 25 Wink
I7 6700K
Z170 Extreme6
2x8 GSkill Rip Jaw 3200
Samsung 512 950Pro NVME
EVGA 1070 FTW
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by LutaWicasa LutaWicasa wrote:

Sata 3 -0 and 3    -1 are indeed horizontal.
View image on page 25 Wink

Funny, very funny... Wink

Actually, I like that picture better, thanks!

This shows the orientation of the SATA ports as they actually are on the mother board. It also shows the relationship between the SATA ports and the SATA Express Connector, and how they are all related to the M.2 slot.

But, the OP could be saying the SATA3_2 and SATA3_3 ports are on the "bottom", because those two ports are the two bottom ports of the "stack" of ports, IF you are looking at the board's right side edge. For those two ports to be horizontal, the board would need to be laying on a table.

I agree this can be confusing, but I choose the manual's pictures as the reference.
LutaWicasa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LutaWicasa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 1:12am
Sorry 'bout that....my board is horizontal.
Mounted on a caseless benchin' rig  Wink
I7 6700K
Z170 Extreme6
2x8 GSkill Rip Jaw 3200
Samsung 512 950Pro NVME
EVGA 1070 FTW
EvilDragon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EvilDragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 3:53pm
So yeah, I am 100% positive that there are NO drives connected to SATA0 and SATA1. I've just checked it again...

And yes by "horizontal" I meant when you look at the board from the right side laying flat on the floor. Smile Me being in Croatia doesn't discount for the fact that I've been learning and using English for the past 20 years at least, I do know the difference between horizontal and vertical (hell, Croatian has the same words, along with our own variants of them!) Wink

In any case, I also did a bench with ALL SATA ports completely empty (and all PCIe ports empty as well), and it was all the same...

By the way, I didn't see anywhere in AIDA64 report of M.2 drive temperature... 950 Pro doesn't show up in Storage->SMART... HWINFO64 is the same, it only says read/write activity. Hm.

Edited by EvilDragon - 29 Jul 2016 at 4:07pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EvilDragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2016 at 8:41pm
Does anybody know if there's a way to contact AsRock more directly? I tried e-mailing their tech support about this issue 2 weeks ago and haven't received a single reply...

Wish they offered phone support. I'd like to ask when they'll fully support 950 Pro via UEFI (since I don't see it in the official supported storage list, and I wonder why is the drive even working if it's not supported, even though it works slow)...

I very much appreciate your help here, parsec, please don't misunderstand. But I really want to switch fully to my new computer, production must keep going, and I'm stuck waiting on replies and suggestions... Not too happy about it, but it's not your fault. I just wish we could figure this out.

Let me pose another question to EVERYONE reading: does anybody on this forum have Z170 Extreme 4 AND Samsung 950 Pro working at full speed under W10 Pro? If at least somebody has it working, then I suppose I either have a faulty drive, or a faulty M.2 slot on the mobo... and it seems utterly stupid to me to buy a separate M.2 adapter PCIe card just to be able to use my 950 Pro at full speeds (provided that solution would even work!)...

Edited by EvilDragon - 31 Jul 2016 at 8:43pm
LutaWicasa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LutaWicasa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2016 at 9:25pm
Not the 4, I am on the 170 Extreme6 using a Sammy 950 Pro NVME M.2 without issue.
During my struggle to get things right I had gone into Device Manager/System Devices and manually updated drivers that had anything to do with PCI. Some 11 or so updated to an Intel driver as opposed to the MS...ymmv.

Regarding tech support from Asrock...I had an issue that they've not responded to also.

Edited by LutaWicasa - 31 Jul 2016 at 9:48pm
I7 6700K
Z170 Extreme6
2x8 GSkill Rip Jaw 3200
Samsung 512 950Pro NVME
EVGA 1070 FTW
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2016 at 11:46pm
EvilDragon, I have (had) no idea what your English language skills are. How could I? Your writing of English is perfect, but as we now can see, the way we look at the SATA ports and what becomes horizontal or vertical can be different.

All I wanted to do is confirm that there were no SATA drives connected to the SATA3_1 port. That has been done so I'll move on.

The apparent inability to see the 950 Pro temperature on your system seems strange to me, I've seen it since the first day I used it:

The AIDA64 temperatures are available in the Temperatures graph in the System Stability Test. I configured this graph to just show the SSD temperatures, and the board temperature.

I can see the 950 Pro temperature in the Storage, SMART data display in AIDA64.

You can see in the HWiNFO64 Sensor display, there are temperature readings for all three of the M.2 SSDs I have in my ASRock Z170 board. I don't know why you can't get that information in HWiNFO64, unless it is a configuration thing. Any chance the temperature reading is in Hidden Items, in the Layout tab?

Or... is the missing temperature reading related to your problem?

As far as I know, you are the first Z170 Extreme4 user that has this problem with a 950 Pro. Or the first 950 Pro user that has this problem with any ASRock Z170 board. I'm not saying it cannot happen, or is not happening to you, just a statistic. There must be other owners of this board that use the 950.

My guess about no answer from ASRock support is because they have no answer or fix for you. That is the point I am at too.

Does your board have in its UEFI, in the Tools section, the UEFI Tech Service feature? That is another way to contact ASRock support. I don't know if the destination of those requests is the same of different than the support page on the ASRock website.

Did you try to contact Samsung support about this?

What other testing can be done? Nothing simple, but obviously testing that 950 in another board. Or a different 950 or other NVMe SSD in your board's M.2 slot.

Very few M.2 NVMe SSDs exist, I have the new OCZ RD400 now, which I removed from its PCIe adapter card just to try it in the M.2 slot, where it works fine.

I also tried my 950 Pro in the OCZ PCIe adapter card, to test if it would work as an OS drive connected to a PCIe slot. It works fine that way.

The 950 Pro is not included in my ASRock Z170 board's Storage Support list. But the new OCZ RD400 is now included in the list, I don't know why some drives are there, and others aren't. I know this list is meant to help, but if you check the SATA SSD list, it does not include 98% of the SATA SSDs that exist. I know I can use any SATA SSD on any ASRock board.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EvilDragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2016 at 4:04am
I am going to call Samsung on phone via Skype tomorrow... see what they say.

Yes, I do have UEFI Tech Service feature I think...

And yes, what you show in the images is simply not there in HWINFO over here. Let me try and unplug then re-mount the 950 Pro and I'll see if anything changes... (EDIT: Nothing changed!)

However, I think I managed to measure temp of 950 Pro with AIDA in system stability as you showed. It said 39°C! I even did the "finger test" and it was really not very hot! So I suppose it isn't anywhere near thermal throttling...

(By the way, my comment about English skills was a bit tongue-in-cheek, I know you couldn't have known my experience with English, however it did sound slightly weird to me the way you said "since I'm in Croatia, horizontal might not mean what you think it means", at least that's how it can be read into. Anyways! Nevermind this all - just a little bit of humour, I sure as hell need it in this situation, since this is NOT the only problem I have with this new computer of mine, unfortunately :(

Edited by EvilDragon - 01 Aug 2016 at 4:34am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EvilDragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 7:19am
Mr. Parsec & co., let me update this thread a little.

Yesterday I did the Anniversary Update of Windows 10... and see what happened!

I have no idea what fixed this... possibly MS finally introduced proper drivers for this mobo in the install (although I do remember installing all the necessary drivers upon fresh W10 install)...

In any case - issue fixed, I now have a properly working 950 Pro thanks to a VERY successful Windows Update!

Thanks for putting up with me, I appreciate all the suggestions you gave me! This thread can now be marked as SOLVED!!! :)
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 12:14pm
Wow, great! Thanks for letting us know what happened.

I don't agree with your driver theory, but whatever. I'd love to know what the original cause was, but that will remain a mystery.

About your HWiNFO screenshot, try this: Open Config, and in the Custom tab, scroll down until you find the SMART entries for your drives.

Click on a SMART entry line, and see if the Original and Current labels for the drives match. When I add a new drive, the HWiNFO data can become confused.

You don't seem to be using custom labels, so it may not apply to you. I do, and every time I add or change drives around, I must fix the label associated with the data.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic