ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Z170 Extreme 4 + Samsung 950 Pro = :(  SOLVED!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Extreme 4 + Samsung 950 Pro = :( SOLVED!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EvilDragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

I don't agree with your driver theory, but whatever. I'd love to know what the original cause was, but that will remain a mystery.

Yeah it will remain a mystery. If not for the driver theory, what would be your theory? Some sort of fallback compatibility mode for M.2 slot? But what would trigger that, if not for driver issues? :D Again, mystery!

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

About your HWiNFO screenshot, try this: Open Config, and in the Custom tab, scroll down until you find the SMART entries for your drives.

Click on a SMART entry line, and see if the Original and Current labels for the drives match. When I add a new drive, the HWiNFO data can become confused.

You don't seem to be using custom labels, so it may not apply to you. I do, and every time I add or change drives around, I must fix the label associated with the data.

I'll try this next time I need to use HWiNFO, but I think this update might have fixed EVERYTHING so now I might have ALL THE INFO ALL THE TIME everywhere, haha. :D

Anyways, cheers! :)
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2016 at 12:46am
Honestly, I don't even have a theory about why the SSD's speed was so reduced.

Your first Magician Disk screenshot showed a normal 950 Pro. The M.2 interface was right, and the Samsung NVMe driver/controller information was perfect, both identical to my own, and I do not have the problem you did.

One question, if you now look at the Magician software main Disk screen for your 950 Pro, what is shown in the Controller section, under System Information? Does it still show the Samsung 1.4.7.17 NVMe driver, or something else? The only something else would be the Microsoft NVMe driver.

Your Device Manager information looked perfect too.

Did you install Win 10 Anniversary as a new installation, or as an update installation?

How did you install Windows the first time on the 950, when it was slow? Was that with Windows 10? Not the Anniversary version the first time of course, but was that a fresh installation? Did you have any other drives connected to the PC when you installed Windows on the 950 the first time?

Otherwise, no differences in the UEFI/BIOS settings between the first and current Windows installation?

Fortunately, we are not seeing any more reports of your (solved) problem. I always try new drives in a PC before I install Windows on them, to check if they are working correctly. Which means I used them with existing Windows installations. Always run benchmarks on the new drives, and the two 950 Pros I have always performed as they should during testing, and after being used for a Windows installation. Always fresh installations, no cloning of another installation.

Since you bought that 950 from your friend, was it cleaned up or secure erased before you began using it? Did your friend use it as the OS drive?

At this point, I am sure I don't know what happened in your case. Confused
EvilDragon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EvilDragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2016 at 6:33pm
Yes, it still shows 1.4.7.17 Samsung NVMe driver. Incidentally, link speed is still reported as 8x

I installed Anniversary as update. Original installation of W10 was fresh, installed from a USB flash drive.

My friend did use it as an OS drive but I did get it wiped.

In any case - I am VERY happy that this works now. Phew!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic