ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

H110M-HDV bricked after internet flash

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote am0eba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: H110M-HDV bricked after internet flash
    Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 9:27pm
Hi, Please help me, I just bought this motherboard and with factory 1.50 bios everything was working fine but I decided to upgrade to the latest 1.80 version. After internet flash I got a message to press enter to restart but after that I just got a black screen with no signal on the monitor. It was like that for a few hours. During bios upgrade I made recovery USB (crashless feature) but it didn't help at all, so at some point I turned off the pc holding power button for some time. My motherboard is probably bricked, cpu and chasis fan spins, but power/reset buttons does't respond, usb mouse led is lighting.

What should I do now?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by am0eba am0eba wrote:

Hi, Please help me, I just bought this motherboard and with factory 1.50 bios everything was working fine but I decided to upgrade to the latest 1.80 version. After internet flash I got a message to press enter to restart but after that I just got a black screen with no signal on the monitor. It was like that for a few hours. During bios upgrade I made recovery USB (crashless feature) but it didn't help at all, so at some point I turned off the pc holding power button for some time. My motherboard is probably bricked, cpu and chasis fan spins, but power/reset buttons does't respond, usb mouse led is lighting.

What should I do now?

First, your board is not permanently bricked. The BIOS chip is in a socket and can be replaced, carefully, by a user with some technical experience, like building a PC.

Worst case situation, you could get the new BIOS chip from ASRock, and replace it yourself.

I'm not sure I understand the part about you making a recovery USB with the crashless feature, during the BIOS update. Do you mean you had a USB flash drive in a USB 2.0 port on the board's IO panel, as suggested when using Internet Flash?

If that is correct, the BIOS file that was downloaded during the Internet Flash process should be on the USB flash drive. You can check if that file is on the USB flash drive. Whether or not that BIOS file is complete and correct would need to be verified.

The way the crashless feature works is, if the initial BIOS update fails, when the PC is started again for the first time, the crashless feature should detect the USB flash drive in the USB 2.0 port on the IO panel, and complete the BIOS update.

I have no idea why the update may have failed, or why you had the black screen after the BIOS update, if it completed. All BIOS updates clear the BIOS and reset all settings to their default values. It is possible depending upon how your PC hardware is configured, the video source, either video card or the integrated graphics on your CPU, is not being selected or became confused. If you use a video card, you should have no cables connected to the integrated graphics output, for example.

What you should do now is, turn the PC's power supply off, and unplug it from AC power. Let it sit that way for a minute, and then connect the AC power again and turn on the PSU.

Next, we want to start the PC with the USB flash drive with the 1.80 BIOS file in it, connected to a USB 2.0 port on the board's IO panel. You MUST use the USB 2.0 port on the IO panel.

I don't know if we can trust the 1.80 BIOS file on the USB flash drive, if it is even on it. The best method would be to download the 1.80 (Instant Flash version only) BIOS file from your board's download page, extract the BIOS file from the .zip file, and copy the extracted file to the USB flash drive.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H110M-HDV/?cat=Download&os=BIOS

If there is a 1.80 file on the USB flash drive from the crashless feature, delete it. Just use the 1.80 BIOS file extracted from the Instant Flash 1.80 BIOS file you will download yourself.

With the new 1.80 BIOS file in the flash drive, inserted into a USB 2.0 port on the board's IO panel, try starting the PC. If you were using more than one monitor, only have one connected to your video source. Be sure your monitor will Auto select that output, or set it manually on the monitor.

Hopefully the crashless feature will start when you start the PC. If after 15 minutes you see nothing at all on the monitor, or if the USB flash drive's activity LED never flashes, press the Reset button on the PC case.

If the PC appears to be starting normally, instead of starting the crashless feature, get into the BIOS and see what version you have, shown on the main screen. If you see 1.80, you are done. If it is still 1.50, I would just reset any essential BIOS options you use, and let the PC boot. If it does boot, you could update to 1.80 with the Instant Flash method and the USB flash drive.

If you still get an unresponsive black screen, let us know and we will continue from there.
am0eba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote am0eba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 12:49am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

First, your board is not permanently bricked. The BIOS chip is in a socket and can be replaced, carefully, by a user with some technical experience, like building a PC.

Worst case situation, you could get the new BIOS chip from ASRock, and replace it yourself.

Is it 100% free?

I'm not sure I understand the part about you making a recovery USB with the crashless feature, during the BIOS update. Do you mean you had a USB flash drive in a USB 2.0 port on the board's IO panel, as suggested when using Internet Flash?

Yes, during flash procedure it asked me to connect fat32 USB drive to 2.0 port on the back.

If that is correct, the BIOS file that was downloaded during the Internet Flash process should be on the USB flash drive. You can check if that file is on the USB flash drive. Whether or not that BIOS file is complete and correct would need to be verified.

The BIOS file is on the USB flash drive and it is named "A1475.ROM".

The way the crashless feature works is, if the initial BIOS update fails, when the PC is started again for the first time, the crashless feature should detect the USB flash drive in the USB 2.0 port on the IO panel, and complete the BIOS update.

Yeah, but after the reboot nothing happened for about 4 hours even with the pendrive connected, so I decided to turn off PC holding power button for a few seconds (clicking power or reset buttons for a short period of time did nothing).

I have no idea why the update may have failed, or why you had the black screen after the BIOS update, if it completed. All BIOS updates clear the BIOS and reset all settings to their default values. It is possible depending upon how your PC hardware is configured, the video source, either video card or the integrated graphics on your CPU, is not being selected or became confused. If you use a video card, you should have no cables connected to the integrated graphics output, for example.

It is a system with iGPU only and the fact that chassis speaker, power/reset buttons are not working made me think it is not gpu/video ports/cable/screen problem.

What you should do now is, turn the PC's power supply off, and unplug it from AC power. Let it sit that way for a minute, and then connect the AC power again and turn on the PSU.

I tried to reset CMOS with jumper + battery while PSU was unplugged. Now I am trying the same but for atleast 4 hours.

Next, we want to start the PC with the USB flash drive with the 1.80 BIOS file in it, connected to a USB 2.0 port on the board's IO panel. You MUST use the USB 2.0 port on the IO panel.

I don't know if we can trust the 1.80 BIOS file on the USB flash drive, if it is even on it. The best method would be to download the 1.80 (Instant Flash version only) BIOS file from your board's download page, extract the BIOS file from the .zip file, and copy the extracted file to the USB flash drive.

I tried with instant flash bios but same problem. Do I need to rename H11MHDV1.80 to H11MHDV180.ROM or something?

Hopefully the crashless feature will start when you start the PC. If after 15 minutes you see nothing at all on the monitor, or if the USB flash drive's activity LED never flashes, press the Reset button on the PC case.

Reset button is not responding. I will try with another USB device that has a led activity indicator tho.

If the PC appears to be starting normally, instead of starting the crashless feature, get into the BIOS and see what version you have, shown on the main screen. If you see 1.80, you are done. If it is still 1.50, I would just reset any essential BIOS options you use, and let the PC boot. If it does boot, you could update to 1.80 with the Instant Flash method and the USB flash drive.

If you still get an unresponsive black screen, let us know and we will continue from there.

I can't enter the bios. Black screen with "no signal" is the only thing I get at this moment.
HarryTBB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryTBB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 10:48am
I have the same issue with the same motherboard model. After a ?œsuccessful??internet flash , restart the PC ended up a black screen (no signal). I?™ve also connect a USB drive and find the BIOS ROM file. I tried unplugging the power and removing the battery to clear cmos but no luck. I also tried to download the BIOS file and put it in the USB drive root folder and then restart PC with no luck. Please help!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic