ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Windows 10 Install misreporting hard drive size
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windows 10 Install misreporting hard drive size

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windows 10 Install misreporting hard drive size
    Posted: 29 Jul 2016 at 12:30pm
Simple solution. If it is a new HDD you just bought, return that drive, it is defective or was damaged.

Even if you've had it for a while, try to return it to Seagate under warranty, it is simply not working.

Do not waste your time with it. It should work without issue. IO errors when using diskpart? Ridiculous. The only thing you can do is try a NEW SATA data cable. If the results are the same, it is a defective drive.

This drive is sold in the USA on line for $60 - $72. Budget HDD.

This reminds me now of one of the last HDDs I bought, from an on line retailer. Shipped by one of the usual carriers, it was DOA, in a new sealed box. The drive was not packed adequately, if that is even possible sometimes.

The replacement managed to survive shipping, but after that I only buy HDDs from a brick and mortar PC store. They don't treat them like they are shipping bricks, not that a carrier even knows what is in the box. Much better success not having HDDs shipped, no comparison.
mrryder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrryder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 10:37pm
As an update...
I have got the HDD to now resize to 128Gb and Windows recognises this in the installation menu.  However, it is not reporting it as being partitioned and therefore, I cannot format it.  When I try I get the old I/O error.  However, the ASRock BIOS is still reporting the drive as 4.1Gb.

Thanks

Matt
mrryder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrryder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 5:59pm
Hi,
Thanks for the prompt reply.  

The drive is set to AHCI in the BIOS.  It is a new drive, but it comes up with IO device errors when I try to use diskpart to change to GPT.  When I restart the PC the 3.9Gb drive has returned...totally ridiculous. I have checked the SATA cables are inserted properly, swapped the SATA cables, tried other SATA ports, flashed the BIOS, and reseated the components.  It is just the HDD and it is driving me insane! 
Angry  

Any more ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Matt.

Edited by mrryder - 28 Jul 2016 at 10:34pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by mrryder mrryder wrote:

Hi,
I am trying to install Windows 10, but when I choose which drive to install it on, the drive is only showing 3.9Gb. I have checked in the BIOS and it is only showing 4.1Gb in there.  The trouble is that it is a 2TB drive.  SMART is turned on and that is not reporting an error.  I think I had this problem a year or two ago with a similar drive - but I can't remember what i did to correct it or what tools I used.  Anyway, does anyone have any ideas?  

The motherboard is: A88M-G/3.1
The drive is: Seagate Barracuda Desktop 6 Gb/s Hard Drive 2TB (ST2000DM001)

Thanks in advance.

Matt.

First, this seems to be a 2.0TB HDD. If it is really over 2.0TB, such as 2.2TB, then that could explain why the Windows installer is apparently seeing the wrong size.

Any drive at or beyond 2.2TB in capacity, must be formatted as GPT instead of MBR (the default), or the full capacity will not be recognized. MBR formatting cannot address disk space beyond 2.2TB.

Is this HDD new, never used before?

If it was used in the past, did you format it before trying to use it for the Windows 10 installation?

What is the SATA mode set to in the UEFI/BIOS? It should be AHCI, or RAID if you plan on using RAID. Do not use IDE mode with any modern drive.
mrryder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrryder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2016 at 9:19pm
Hi,
I am trying to install Windows 10, but when I choose which drive to install it on, the drive is only showing 3.9Gb. I have checked in the BIOS and it is only showing 4.1Gb in there.  The trouble is that it is a 2TB drive.  SMART is turned on and that is not reporting an error.  I think I had this problem a year or two ago with a similar drive - but I can't remember what i did to correct it or what tools I used.  Anyway, does anyone have any ideas?  

The motherboard is: A88M-G/3.1
The drive is: Seagate Barracuda Desktop 6 Gb/s Hard Drive 2TB (ST2000DM001)

Thanks in advance.

Matt.

Edited by mrryder - 27 Jul 2016 at 9:23pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic