ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

asrock g41c-gs r2.0 ddr2 ram issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Courine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic:  asrock g41c-gs r2.0 ddr2 ram issue
    Posted: 01 Aug 2016 at 12:54pm

I have a Q6600 and am trying to use 2x 2GB Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5 (CM2X2048-6400C5). This ram is DDR2, 800mhz and DS. Wont boot the BIOS. but will with different set of ddr2 ram at 533mhz. Also the same happens on a duplicate motherboard and ram using a Q9530. So if it is the ram that has gone bad, it would have had to have happened to both sets simultaneously. And both sets were pulled from working systems.

This all would point to a procedure not obvious, as the ram is listed in this QVL http://www.asrock.com/mb/memory/G41C-GS.pdf .  I notice the "R2.0" is missing, but the R2.0 QVL is missing a ddr2 listing. But I doubt there is a compatibility problem.

I have returned everything to the out-of-box settings (w/ CMOS not reset), and ask if anyone knows this procedure, for posterity.

Also the unique opportunity to have on this side of any debug with 2 system this close should aid in uncovering why this, what should be a simple problem, should exist.

Edited by Courine - 01 Aug 2016 at 2:00pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2016 at 4:55pm
If you're asking how to Clear, not Reset the BIOS, which is what I'd highly suggest, Clearing, when switching memory in and out, can be found on pg20 of the manual, found at:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/G41C-GS%20R2.0/?cat=Manual

The above should be  done first, before proceeding further.

Are both 2x2GB memory kits the same?

Are you running the latest non-BETA BIOS for your R2.0, rev.1.10 ?

Edited by wardog - 01 Aug 2016 at 4:56pm
Courine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Courine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 12:17am
will clear CMOS in a minute. Have to wake up first, but am responding to let you know I got the message.

Your questions:

The ram in the Q9550 is not as I noted. It is the same model but not a twin. The Q6600's ram is a twin as stated.

current BIOS is P1.0

I should be back in an hour and will stay on this the rest of the day.

Edited by Courine - 04 Aug 2016 at 10:05pm
Courine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Courine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 3:07am
Before clearing the CMOS, I pulled the 2 1gig sticks in this machine I am posting from.  It works and is franticly updating and updating..... and updating..... and...

The ram is the same ram, just the 1 gig model.

I will be back on this when the machine lets me. ;)

Edited by Courine - 03 Aug 2016 at 6:35pm
Courine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Courine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 5:40am

I am also freeing up a 3rd system to test the ram independently. I am not afraid of the CMOS reset. Just its strange if it is the ram. If so, I wont have to wear blush for a week.

Edited by Courine - 02 Aug 2016 at 9:28am
Courine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Courine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2016 at 9:09am
Why I am so curious is if you dont have an alternate system or ram and you see what I am seeing, clearing CMOS is all you have to debug with.

In my case I have both the ram and the system. I can go in and upgrade the BIOS if you like. But that is because I can get the system to run on the 1meg stcks.  If no other ram was available, the BIOS upgrade would not be possible. 

Edited by Courine - 03 Aug 2016 at 6:19pm
Courine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Courine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2016 at 5:53pm
Ok, i ran  back through to make sure the 2x 2meg sticks work. I also cleared the CMOS and still no boot.

I do have an extra 2meg stick that matches the twin, but I doubt it will help. I will swap them around to make sure though. Also I will retry clearing CMOS again.

I think this is a matter of thinking. So let me ask this: If have just 1 2meg ram stick in, will the system boot under normal conditions? 
Courine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Courine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2016 at 11:02pm
I got the 2 gig sticks to work. I need to BIOS software now.

The trick is when you turn off the system, to remove the main ram each time you clear the CMOS ram. If you dont, it wont ask for the setup in the BIOS to run. 
Courine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Courine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 9:42am
The CMOS  did the trick in the Q9550 as well. Both using BIOS P1.10.

I understand why now. It is possible to confuse the setup code if the specs are close and cant see that it as changed. But if there isnt a detectable change., it wont queue the process that would detect it. Thus my problem.

Thanks!
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 12:18pm
Glad to hear you have them(?) up and running.

Enjoy them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic