ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Fatal1ty X99 Professional Gaming i7 - LACP - Win10
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fatal1ty X99 Professional Gaming i7 - LACP - Win10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bla©k Widowmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fatal1ty X99 Professional Gaming i7 - LACP - Win10
    Posted: 03 Aug 2016 at 9:21pm

Hello dear AsRock Team,

I plan an upgrade of my System to X99. I've waited over a year for a MB like the new AsRock Fatal1ty X99 Professional Gaming i7

This is the first X99 MB with two PCIe 3.0x4 M.2 Ports on it - that is not uggly (like the Taichi or Extreme 11). But when i read the manual (page 3) i saw this:

Lan

- Gigabit LAN 10/100/1000 Mb/s
- 1 x Giga PHY Intel® I218V, 1 x GigaLAN Intel® I211AT
- Supports Wake-On-LAN
- Supports Lightning/ESD Protection (ASRock Full Spike Protection)
- Supports Dual LAN with Teaming*
* Windows® 10 is not supported.

- Supports Energy Efficient Ethernet 802.3az
- Supports PXE

Now does this means that this MB doesn't support LACP / IEEE 802.3ad with Win 10?
Why? Is this a bug, and will it be fixed with future BIOS/UEFI versions?
Is LACP / IEEE 802.3ad supported with Win 7?
Hope you can help me with some information. Sorry for my bad English.
Greetings from Germany

Edited by Bla©k Widowmaker - 03 Aug 2016 at 9:36pm
Bla©k Widowmaker - Software Unlimited
Bla©k Widowmaker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bla©k Widowmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 9:01pm
I wrote an email to AsRock Support and get this answer:

Hello,

Windows10 is not supporting this feature (anymore). In first available versions it was supported, but then having still trouble. So they remove that support in WIN10.

See Also here:

https://www.computerbase.de/2016-01/kein-link-aggregation-in-windows-10-build-11099/

It is not ASRock?™s fault or a bug, Microsoft did not support it (well) with Windows 10 and remove the support.

You might check with Microsoft if an when they plan to implement it. (same is what we are still doing ??try to ?œpush??Microsoft and Intel to get it to work)

Have to say sorry, but right now we cannot to more than waiting that Microsoft / Intel get it fixed ??or you have to use an other OS??o:p>

Best regards,

ASRock Support

ASRock Europe B.V.
Bijsterhuizen 1111
6546 AR Nijmegen
The Netherlands
www.asrock.com

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by Bla©k Widowmaker Bla©k Widowmaker wrote:

Hello dear AsRock Team,

I plan an upgrade of my System to X99. I've waited over a year for a MB like the new AsRock Fatal1ty X99 Professional Gaming i7

This is the first X99 MB with two PCIe 3.0x4 M.2 Ports on it - that is not uggly (like the Taichi or Extreme 11). But when i read the manual (page 3) i saw this:

Lan

- Gigabit LAN 10/100/1000 Mb/s
- 1 x Giga PHY Intel® I218V, 1 x GigaLAN Intel® I211AT
- Supports Wake-On-LAN
- Supports Lightning/ESD Protection (ASRock Full Spike Protection)
- Supports Dual LAN with Teaming*
* Windows® 10 is not supported.

- Supports Energy Efficient Ethernet 802.3az
- Supports PXE

Now does this means that this MB doesn't support LACP / IEEE 802.3ad with Win 10?
Why? Is this a bug, and will it be fixed with future BIOS/UEFI versions?
Is LACP / IEEE 802.3ad supported with Win 7?
Hope you can help me with some information. Sorry for my bad English.
Greetings from Germany

The specification you are asking about means that the Intel network driver's Teaming feature is not supported in Windows 10.

Intel's network driver has had the Teaming feature available with their networking chips, and some chips made by other manufactures, for several years.

When Windows 10 was released, for some reason it broke the Intel networking driver Teaming feature. The ability to create VLANs in the network driver was also broken. These problems are caused by some interaction between Windows 10 and the Intel network driver.

This problem affects all mother boards using Intel networking chips when used with Windows 10. It cannot be fixed with a UEFI/BIOS update, unless Intel creates a fix to the Intel network Option ROM that is part of a UEFI/BIOS file.

Since this problem was discovered, Intel has released at least four updates to their networking driver, but has been unable to fix the problem with Teaming and Windows 10. Intel documents this situation on the download page of their networking driver, which you can read about here (sorry that it is in English):

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=83418

To quote from the Intel networking driver download page:

Creating Intel ANS teams and VLANs on Windows® 10 is currently not supported. As a result, when created, teams and VLANs do not pass traffic. We expect that ANS will be supported on Windows 10 client in a future release.

I don't understand your question about LACP / IEEE 802.3ad with Windows 10, which I think you were just confused about the specification you are asking about.

Whether or not a board is ugly or not, depends upon the person. Wink

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 12:05am
Thanks for sharing your response from ASRock Tech Support. I am sure others will find it useful too. Also thanks Parsec for the additional information, I was unaware that there was such a large issue with Teaming and windows 10 with intel NICs. Yet another reason I still have not moved over to win 10 myself. I am a big time supporter of the philosophy of "if it works, leave it alone". 

Personally I love the look of the Taichi, I think the black and white contrasts very nicely and would be ideal for a white/black themed build or even blue/white. Of the 2 boards though I think I do prefer the specs of the Gaming i7, I like the inclusion of a better sound chip because I dabble in music recording. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bla©k Widowmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 8:16am
Well thanks for your replies. Making long story short:

Intel says. "its not our fault - please ask MS"

MS says: "its not our fault - please ask Intel"...

Angry

Quote Whether or not a board is ugly or not, depends upon the Person.

Perhaps, but there are some universal design rules. If you mix to much Colors, an object gets ugly. So for my Gaming i7 i will remove the red-white  shields of the chipset- and mosfet-coolers, and paint the sillver of PCIe ports black to get a "cleaner" look. Perhaps i will overpaint also the advertisement and the logos on the MB in black, and overpaint the X99 logo in this deep red color.

Edited by Bla©k Widowmaker - 13 Aug 2016 at 8:28am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 9:15am
Originally posted by Bla©k Widowmaker Bla©k Widowmaker wrote:

Well thanks for your replies. Making long story short:

Intel says. "its not our fault - please ask MS"

MS says: "its not our fault - please ask Intel"...

Angry

Quote Whether or not a board is ugly or not, depends upon the Person.

Perhaps, but there are some universal design rules. If you mix to much Colors, an object gets ugly. So for my Gaming i7 i will remove the red-white  shields of the chipset- and mosfet-coolers, and paint the sillver of PCIe ports black to get a "cleaner" look. Perhaps i will overpaint also the advertisement and the logos on the MB in black, and overpaint the X99 logo in this deep red color.

Why am I not surprised to see both of those responses, from MSoft and Intel.

My opinion is this:

Intel's network driver teaming feature has worked since Windows 7, and possibly before that. It worked fine with Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. I can (could... not anymore with Win 10) even team the Intel network chip with the Qualcom Atheros network chip on my ASRock X99 Extreme6/3.1 board. At least I could with the first version of Windows 10, the build before 10586.

But since Windows 10 build 10586 (which is older now), Teaming no longer works. The last version of the Intel network driver that still had working teaming was version 20.2, which ASRock still includes in the download list for Windows 10 for all of their X99 boards. I wonder why ASRock still has that version to download... no I don't.

Now we are on the 21.0 version of the Intel network driver. There are four official versions of the Intel networking driver between version 20.2 and 21.0. So five versions of the Intel network driver later, Intel still can't get Teaming and VLANs working.

So given this history of the Intel network driver, and then adding Windows 10 to the situation, whom do I blame? Not Intel.

Intel created and owns the code for their network drivers. Their networking chips and drivers are arguably the best in the business. Does Intel have complete access to the Windows 10 code related to networking? I highly doubt that. So how can Intel know what needs to be changed, if that is even possible, in their network driver to allow Teaming and VLANs to work again with Windows 10?

A change in the networking code in Windows 10 seems to have broken the Teaming and VLANs features. They still work in Windows 7, 8, and 8.1. Given all this, can someone explain to me how it can be Intel's fault?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bla©k Widowmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

can someone explain to me how it can be Intel's fault?

Well no problem: Ask MS. Clown

Edited by Bla©k Widowmaker - 19 Aug 2016 at 12:26pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic