ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Internet Flash Disaster

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
glenni83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glenni83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Internet Flash Disaster
    Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 10:50pm
This happen to me aswell, but if u switch off ur psu for 5-10min, and boot it, ur up and running again. if not, try again.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 10:24am
Originally posted by parsnips parsnips wrote:

So I tried to do an Internet flash on my Z97 MB and it gave me an error and now all I get is a blank screen.

The only reason I tried flashing is that I thought the contents of CMOS were backed up and could be rolled back easily.

Doesn't seem to be so... I tried using the CMOS button and now the power button doesn't work and the only way to get the fans turning is to press the CMOS button again.

Is there an easy way out of this?

Yes, I know I'm an idiot.

The contents of CMOS were backed up? What feature did you think did that?

You tried using the "CMOS button"? If you mean the button on the board's IO panel, that is the clr CMOS, or Clear CMOS button, used to clear the UEFI/BIOS when power is removed from the PC. Clearing the UEFI/BIOS immediately after a UEFI/BIOS update is not recommended, particularly for a failed update.

The dual BIOS/UEFI does not backup the current UEFI, but contains the UEFI version that came with the board.

When using Internet Flash, you should put a USB flash drive into a USB 2.0 port on the board's IO panel, which is used to store a copy of the UEFI file that was downloaded.

What error message did you get while running Internet Flash?
parsnips View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsnips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 5:04am
Thanks! That did the trick.

Now if I can undo the damage done by my Windows 'update' I'll be back in business
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 1:01pm
Thanks.

Lets start with this:

Unplug the system from AC power (disconnect from the wall socket) and leave it that way for an hour. Before you plug it in again hit the clear CMOS button again. Plug the system back in and try again, it should power on. If you are still getting a blank screen (with fans spinning etc) then you had a bad flash and your BIOS A is corrupted. 

Luckily your board is a dual BIOS board so that isn't a problem. Power off the system again and open up your case and look next to the power and reset switches on the board itself. There you will find a small selector switch with 2 possible positions, switch it to the other position and power up. You should now be posting on the second BIOS. The go into your user manual and follow the steps to secure flash BIOS A from BIOS B then power off, switch back to the original switch position and you are sorted.
parsnips View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsnips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 10:02am
Also the Ethernet port isn't lit, there's no disk activity, it's really dead.
parsnips View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsnips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 7:25am
Oops, sorry, thought I'd inserted that.

It's an Extreme6.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 10:56pm
What is your motherboard model, Z97 ?????

parsnips View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsnips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 10:11pm

So I tried to do an Internet flash on my Z97 MB and it gave me an error and now all I get is a blank screen.

The only reason I tried flashing is that I thought the contents of CMOS were backed up and could be rolled back easily.

Doesn't seem to be so... I tried using the CMOS button and now the power button doesn't work and the only way to get the fans turning is to press the CMOS button again.

Is there an easy way out of this?

Yes, I know I'm an idiot.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic