ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Extreme4 slow downloads

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warlock616 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170 Extreme4 slow downloads
    Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 4:05am
I'm having a problem with my new build using this board. I'll go into specs first then describe the problems.

Intel core i7-6700k
ASRock z170 Extreme4
Samsung 950pro m.2 256gb
16gb Corsair Vengeance ram
Corsair RM750i 750w PS
Corsair H100i V2 AIO water cooler
Sapphire R9 380

I have pretty quick internet speeds so I have no idea what is causing this problem.

My old computer was about 5 years old and I was able to download 10 large (350mb-1gb) files at a time and it would only take 10-30 minutes depending on the time of the day. My speeds for each download were on the average 500kb each which isn't bad for that many files at once. With this new build I can download 1 file at 7.0 mb/s but if I try to download more then 1 file they'll all take forever and most fail.

I have the latest LAN drivers and for the hell of it uninstalled them and reinstalled, didn't help. I tried ASRock's xfast lan program, didn't help. I went into the adapter setting and changed it to 10 gb/s full duplex (it's on auto negotiate by default), didn't help.

I have no idea what else to try. Anyone have ideas on how to solve this? Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me out with this.

warlock616 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warlock616 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 4:08am
Oh yeah, I'm on Windows 10.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 7:02am
I'll gander you have ani-virus installed.

Disable the anti-virus and reply back what the results provide please.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warlock616 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 7:20am
Thanks for answering.

I gave that a try and it didn't help. I'm thinking it might be a bad network controller on the board. I ordered a add in nic card to see if that helps. I'll post the results when it comes and I test it.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 2:10pm
Have you noticed anything else astray?

Download the correct i219v driver, v21.0, from:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/82186/Intel-Ethernet-Connection-I219-V

Uninstall the current driver installed, reboot, and then install the v21.0 one from above.

What is your connection rate being reported as?

You DO NOT need to change the negotiation speed in the driver control panel. That's a remnant from days long gone now. Maybe some oddball office situation, but not for end user/home networking.

Cable gone bad?

Is your anti-virus up to date? Anti-virus sw installs its filter drivers that if out of date will cause this issue too. Hence my first asking of it/them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warlock616 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 9:59pm
No other problems with the system at all.

I have uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled a couple of times. Tried switching cables already. I disabled windows firewall and the anti-virus is updated. None of this helped at all.

This is the result of the latest test.

I have no problems when testing speed or downloading 1 file. As soon as I try to do 2 or more connections at a time it slows. That's why I'm leaning towards a bad network controller on the board because I can't think of anything else that would cause this bottleneck.

If installing a new nic card doesn't help then I'll dual boot with windows 7 to see if somehow windows 10 is the problem.

Edited by warlock616 - 16 Aug 2016 at 9:59pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 11:47am
Originally posted by warlock616 warlock616 wrote:

No other problems with the system at all.

I have uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled a couple of times. Tried switching cables already. I disabled windows firewall and the anti-virus is updated. None of this helped at all.

This is the result of the latest test.

I have no problems when testing speed or downloading 1 file. As soon as I try to do 2 or more connections at a time it slows. That's why I'm leaning towards a bad network controller on the board because I can't think of anything else that would cause this bottleneck.

If installing a new nic card doesn't help then I'll dual boot with windows 7 to see if somehow windows 10 is the problem.

Really, I can think of many reasons why your download speed is different between the test and downloading multiple files from one or more websites. Not that your download speed test in any way indicates a problem with the networking chip in your board. It clearly doesn't.

The network speed test, in order to provide an accurate reading, must provide an uninterrupted connection service at a speed that is faster than the speed provided by your Internet Service Provider (ISP), and the speed of the connection between your network router and your PC. Otherwise the network speed test will bottleneck the test, and be a worthless test.

Let's look at your network speed test results, the download speed is 60.08 Mbps. That is 60 Mega bits per second. Lower case 'b' means bits, not bytes. Bytes are indicated by a capital 'B'.

Since a byte of data has eight bits, a simple calculation that does not take into account any overhead of the control and administrative data, which exists in any Internet data transaction, is 60 / 8 = 7.5. So a maximum rate of 7.5 MB/s, 7.5 Mega Bytes per second maximum. But it's not that simple with Comcast. They provide bursts of download speed, depending upon the Internet service tier you have purchased. I recently had a burst speed of 11.4 MB/s, but how long that lasted, who knows.

Your router probably has a 1Gbps transfer rate between it and your PC. But you will always be limited by what the speed feeding your router is. Between your router and PC will be 1Gbps, but incoming to the router is 60Mbps. Setting the network adapter speed manually to 10Gbps does nothing, since it cannot "pull" data in faster than it is being fed data. In reality, the 1Gbps speeds of our Ethernet chips and routers might as well be 100Mbps, since the incoming data rate is below 100Mbps.

You live in Illinois, and your ISP is Comcast. I live in Illinois, and use Comcast. Your download speed tests are consistent, which is great, but that does not mean every other website will give you that download speed.

What is true is every website will have different download speeds, depending on their servers, the load on the servers, the amount of traffic on the Internet, amount of traffic on your ISP, time of day, among many other factors. Downloading files from most servers will never give us consistent results. In my experience, Intel's download speeds are very consistent and fast. ASRock's are pretty good too, but can vary in speed sometimes. These judgements ignore all the things in the middle that I listed above.

Are you aware that a download server can detect when multiple large downloads to the same destination are running at the same time, and can throttle the rate it provides the downloads to you, because you are hogging their resources, among other reasons?

So you had six 350MB (MegaByte) files, and a 700MB file downloading at the same time, with 60Megabit download service, under optimal conditions. You do realize that the 60Mbps rate is your total download rate, not the rate for each file download, right?

You were downloading 2.8 GigaBytes of data, over a 60Megabit download service, but blame the "slow" speed on the ethernet chip in your mother board, with all the other realities (leaving out many too) I described above? Confused

Good luck with the new NIC card, I hope it has an Intel networking chip, they are the best, just like the one in... never mind.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warlock616 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 9:56pm
I realize everything you are saying. In my case there is no throttling due to having business class from Comcast. Had it for years and never a problem from it.

It's odd that that I have downloaded 10-20 files at a time on my old system but not on the new one. I hooked up my old one and it's having no problems downloading multiple files.

Downloading 2-3gb at a time has never been a issue for years but all of a sudden it is. So along with my old system still being able to download multiple files and checking everything else on the new system, my only conclusion up to this point has been the onborad nic or Windows 10.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warlock616 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 4:12am
I have finally fixed this and in case anyone else runs into this problem, here's what I did.

The onboard nic seems to not be working. Instead of dismantling the system and returning the board I just installed a add on NIC card and all my troubles are solved.

I'm now able to download multiple files at a time just like my old system.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic