ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can't install Windows. X99 WS Fault?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ArvUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArvUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 7:47pm
This might be nothing.  I've just noticed something on Kingston's site in the "PCN" notice against these two parts:

Part Number:  KVR24R17D8/16MA (NOT my part)
JEDEC Specification: 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2400T-RE1-11
Target Ship Date: May 16, 2016

Part Number:  KVR24R17S4/16MA (My part)
JEDEC Specification: 16GB 1Rx4 PC4-2400T-RC1-11
Target Ship Date: June 13, 2016

ASRock BIOS update 3.20 of 7/20/2016 may not have been tested by Kingston, but BIOS update 3.10 of 3/25/2016 may have been with part KVR24R17D8/16MA (not mine), or maybe they just assumed it, KVR24R17S4/16MA (My part), was compatible without real world testing as JDEC specs are assumed to be followed?

What do you think?

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 3:33pm
RDIMMs are accepted. I must have buggered something between here and the Kingston pages as indeed I see now that they are compatible according to Kingston.

Yea, clear the BIOS and post back the results.
ArvUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArvUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 2:21pm
Yes the 2 sticks were in A1 and B1. I also tried them in C1 and D1, same result.

If I go to the below link and choose System Specific. I select ASRock>Motherboard>X99 WS. My memory part number shows up as compatible. Why are RDIMMS not compatible with this board? I have a Xeon CPU.

http://www.kingston.com/en/memory/server

I will attempt to clear CMOS/BIOS later.

I did try memory tweaked and it detected JDEC 2400 timings so I applied them. Still no luck.

Also motherboard temp was around 31-38 degrees. CPU temp was around 28-37 degrees so no issue there.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 1:05pm
Also, check your temp in the BIOS. Remember, you're in the BIOS, so expect it to be elevated. Yet not "roasting to death" temps though. Within operating spec.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 1:02pm
Are the two sticks installed in A1 and B1 ? In my reading the manual thats the two they belong.

WHEA and 05C can be attributable to memory issues. Kingstons list of compatible memory doesn't include these sticks, which is no surprise considering they are RDIMMs.

Please clear, not simply reset, your BIOS. See pg20 of the manual for the procedure. Then boot back into the BIOS and check the CPU and memory voltages, closely. Do not set XMP or the like(matter of fact let them auto detect at their default JEDEC speed), go in and make the changes you need to represent your system(AHCI, RAID, WoL, etc etc), choose UEFI xxx that your installation media is located and attempt your install.

Please post back the results.

Edited by wardog - 18 Aug 2016 at 1:03pm
ArvUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArvUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 3:03am
Kit:
ASRock X99 WS
Intel Xeon E5 2630 v3 (6 core)
32 GB Ram Kingston Tech KVR24R17S4/16MA (16 GB x 2, DDR4 , 2400MHz , ECC , CL17 , 

1.2V)
Sandisk Z410 240GB SATA III 2.5inch SSD
Corsair RM850x PSU
Nvidia NVS 310 Dual Display Port video card or XFX 256Mb GeForce 8600GTS PV-T84G-

UDF3

Please help!!  I cannot install ANY operating system on this motherboard / CPU.  So far I've tried:
Windows Server 2012 R2 x64
Windows 7 Professional x64
Ubuntu Desktop 16.04.1

Steps taken:
- Assemble system with only one drive attached (SanDisk SSD)
- Power On, press DEL to enter UEFI
- Reset UEFI to default options, save and restart
- Press DEL to enter UEFI and update to latest BIOS v 3.20
- Restart, press DEL to enter UEFI
- Set UEFI USB stick as 1st boot device

I've tried to install Win7/2012 from both USB stick and DVD-Rom.  The USB sticks being loading in the installer but both crash before the inital "Welcome" screen of the installer appears.  I've tried both USB2/USB3 and legacy/UEFI based keys.

Win2012 crash message reads:
"Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart.  We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you.  If you'd like to know more, you can search online later for this error: WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR"

The Win7 installer just hangs before the Welcome screen appears or shows blue screen with error "0x000000C5".  Ubuntu freezes shortly after launch with just the Ubuntu logo on screen.

I have watched a number of "How to install Windows" videos on YouTube and read the ASRock "How to install Windows on PCIe SSDs" for tips on the correct installation settings but nothing works.

I've tried:
- swapping video cards from NVidia NVS 310 to XFX GeForce 8600GTS
- swapping power supply to Antec TruePower 650
- installing from rear ports and top of case ports
- installing from USB3 and USB2 ports/keys
- installing from USB DVD-Rom drive
- installing on various mechanical hard drives
- reverting the UEFI BIOS back to version 3.10
- disabling USB3 in UEFI and launching installer from USB2 port/key
- enabling/disabling "Secure Boot" in UEFI
- verifying "AHCI" disk mode in Storage options
- using different SATA cables / disks / ports
- removing all connected USB / audio motherboard connected headers

... but nothing works!!

I don't have another socket 2011-3 motherboard to test the CPU in, and I don't have another CPU to test in this board.  

The error codes/messages hint towards a hardware fault so I'm beginning to think my ASRock X99WS has a fault.

Can anyone please offer some help?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic