ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can't install Windows. X99 WS Fault?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

You must use a USB 2.0 port on the board's IO panel for a Windows 7 installation. With Server 2012, you should be able to use a USB 3.0 port, but to be safe use a USB 2.0 port on the IO panel.

Attempt using the USB 2.0 ports at the rear I/O.
ArvUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArvUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2016 at 7:11pm
Success!!

My Samsung memory arrived this morning so I opened the packaging and put a single stick into slot 1. The UEFI shows 8GB single channel. I loaded deafult UEFI settings, saved and rebooted with my 8 GB USB2 Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 OEM installation stick attached to a rear panel USB2 port.

Windows 7 was installed within a few minutes. I've yet to install all the drivers for all hardware but will do so shortly and then repeat the process across the memory slots B1, C1 and D1.

The bad news is that I appear to have 2 dead memory sticks from Kingston.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2016 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by ArvUK ArvUK wrote:

Success!!

My Samsung memory arrived this morning so I opened the packaging and put a single stick into slot 1. The UEFI shows 8GB single channel. I loaded deafult UEFI settings, saved and rebooted with my 8 GB USB2 Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 OEM installation stick attached to a rear panel USB2 port.

Windows 7 was installed within a few minutes. I've yet to install all the drivers for all hardware but will do so shortly and then repeat the process across the memory slots B1, C1 and D1.

The bad news is that I appear to have 2 dead memory sticks from Kingston.

Thanks for the update!

When I read your post about testing the Kingston memory, it sounded like that a problem with the Kingston memory.

BUT, since you installed Windows with only one DIMM installed, I would be concerned a little bit about the other DIMM slots. Not that bad slots are a common problem, but you never know until you try. Good luck with it!

I forgot to mention earlier, a couple good things to do when dealing with new memory:

After changing or just moving memory around, a UEFI/CMOS clear is always a good idea.

At the bottom of the DRAM Configuration screen, you should find an option called MRC Fast Boot, set to Enabled by default. Setting it to disabled will cause memory training to occur during POST. That helps with memory stability.
ArvUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArvUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2016 at 10:14pm
Rather than reinstall Win7 across slots B1, C1 and D1 I decided to simply test launching the installer to see that it got to the hard disk selection screen (further than it got using the faulty Kingston sticks). I then rebooted and loaded the installed Win7 from the SATA SSD and did some short prime95 runs.

I'm reasonably sure the slots are OK but have a concern with C1. C1 was the only slot that did not cause a reboot post crash during the Win2012 install attempt. I will attempt a full in stallion with C1 only populated.

ArvUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArvUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2016 at 10:23pm
What do I do with the unopened 2 Kingston sticks? Do I open them, plug then in and test them? If they work great. If they don't I will have opened all 4 and have to return them to the supplier.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 10:28am
They haven't been proven defective. I'd simply return them. IF asked, and your retailer has a generous Return Policy, I'd state incompatibility as my reason.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic