ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > HTPC&Gaming Barebone&Others
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

[Beebox 3150] Usb always powered on

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote custom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [Beebox 3150] Usb always powered on
    Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 6:49pm
Hi, I've updated the bios of the Beebox, now I am using the release 1.60, but there is no way to shutdown the power on usb ports when the pc is switched off.
I mean also when I switch off the pc by Windows or I press for more than 5 seconds the power button. The power is always on, even if I remove the power cord and attach it again.
I've set the wake on usb mouse/keyboard to disabled, but nothing happens.

Is there a way to solve this problem?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 11:30am
Originally posted by custom custom wrote:

Hi, I've updated the bios of the Beebox, now I am using the release 1.60, but there is no way to shutdown the power on usb ports when the pc is switched off.
I mean also when I switch off the pc by Windows or I press for more than 5 seconds the power button. The power is always on, even if I remove the power cord and attach it again.
I've set the wake on usb mouse/keyboard to disabled, but nothing happens.

Is there a way to solve this problem?

The always powered on USB ports is considered a feature, for charging cell phones and other devices from the PC when it is shutdown, for example. This also allows starting the PC with the mouse, keyboard, or remote control. But some people don't like to have the USB ports powered on all the time.

Note that I said shutdown, while you said "switched off". They are two different things.

All mother boards use some power from their PSU when they are in a Windows Shutdown state, as long as the PSU is switched on or connected to AC power. A mother board is never completely "switched off" unless its power supply is shut off with its own power switch, or disconnected from AC power. The networking chip(s) will always be awake, and the system that monitors the power switch on the PC case is also always powered up.

Disabling the Wake on USB mouse or keyboard will not disable the power to the USB ports. As soon as the power cord is connected, the USB ports will be able to power a device.

Some ASRock boards have an option in their BIOS called Goodnight LED. That allows removing power from the USB ports when the PC is shutdown. That option is usually in the Chipset Configuration screen. I don't see this option in your PC's BIOS, it may not have it.

Why is the power on the USB ports when the PC is shutdown a problem for you? If nothing is connected to the USB ports, no power is being drawn/used from them.
custom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote custom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 9:00pm
I've written "Switch off", I was meaning "Shutting down", sorry! :)
Hi It's a big problem for two reasons:
1. I am using an external wifi dongle because the internal wifi antenna is very weak (tried on three different beebox, so the problem it is not mine!). When I shut down the mini pc the dongle is on and also its three leds.
2. I am using the Beebox as mediacenter with a WD external hard drive. Unfortunately this hdd has a standby led always on if the usb ports are powered.

So everytime I shut down the minipc I have manually to remove the two usb items and it is annoying. Last week I've removed too quickly the hdd so I broke the file system and lost all the files (I was lucky done a backup two days before).

So it is a problem :)
SantoPaps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SantoPaps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2018 at 9:52pm
THIS NEVER GOT RESOLVED? having the same problems with z370 Taichi
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 12:08pm
Dear Custom,

Thanks for posting your query to ASRock forum.

Sorry for the late reply, hopefully this advice can still be helpful. 

Kindly go to BIOS and adjust Deep S5 to Auto.
Advanced\Chipset Configuration\Deep S5

After adjusting Deep S5 in BIOS kindly press "F10" button to save and exit.

This should allow you to disable USB power when system if off.

With thanks,
ASRock TSD
Tom Tiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Tiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 8:31pm
I have been struggling with the same problem. (Beebox 3150, firm: 1.70)
I have turned off "everything" in the BIOS and S5 is set to auto, in Win10 the USB HUB power management is set to enable but the USB power still remains on after the Beebox is "powered off".
It is OK that it is a feature but very annoying if it is impossible to turn off because the external devices that are powered from USB (DAC, HDD) remain always on.
ASRock_TSD View Drop Down
ASRock_Official
ASRock_Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASRock_TSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 12:17pm
Dear Tom,

Thanks for posting your query to ASRock forum.
We have checked again with 1.70 BIOS. With "Deep S5" set to "Auto"
USB light will be off after shutdown.

Please load BIOS default then set the "Deep S5" to "Auto"
(Make sure to press F10 to save settings in BIOS)

Also please try the suggestions below to disable the Fast Startup setting.
1. To disable Fast Startup, go to Start > Control Panel > Power Options and
   click "Choose what the power buttons do" from the column on the left.
2. Scroll down to "Shutdown settings" and uncheck the box for "Turn on fast
   startup".
3. Click the "Save changes" button to apply the changes.
4. After the setting is applied, please shut down and see if the light will go
   off.

With thanks,
ASRock TSD
Rezaf904 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rezaf904 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 5:58pm
i've same problem, when PC down but USB keep powered, i am using ASRock A320M HDV R4.0, please help me :(
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic