ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - X99 Extreme6/3.1 RAM and M.2 Sata3 Compatibility
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X99 Extreme6/3.1 RAM and M.2 Sata3 Compatibility

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vfxman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X99 Extreme6/3.1 RAM and M.2 Sata3 Compatibility
    Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 3:21am
Hi all, first time here and first time building a custom Windows machine. Brief background, I was last a regular windows user back in the late 90's with an IBM Aptiva something or other. 512mb HDD, and a 4MB RAM. That's the extent of my PC hardware knowledge. I've been a mac user since 2003 and understand it way better. So forgive my ignorance with anything below this point. :)

I am now finally diving back into the Windows world since it just makes more sense cost and performance wise for what I do. I am a Visual Effects Professional, that has been thrown back into the freelance world a number of months ago and no longer has access to the good network of machines that my office had sadly. I am in the process of building a dedicated smoke and fire simulation Windows machine. The software setup is as such:

- Windows 8.1
- Cinema 4D R17 (have a free upgrade to R18 in Sep.)
     -- X-Particles 3
     -- Nitro Vertex
     -- Octane (maybe, still waiting for better volume shading)

This machine like I said will be dedicated to just this work. I do 4K, 2K, and 1080 production quality work, so I am trying to maximize the machine resources to these softwares. I have a $6000 budget for the hardware side and am trying to future proof a bit. The dual Titan is for this reason. Once v2.0 comes out it will be multi GPU enabled and I want to have a beast of GPU available for some heavier 4K work. This machine needs to last for awhile and be able to take a beating with making caches that can reach 4TB+. I also am not over clocking anything as I want stability. I have been researching and getting opinions from friends and online forums all over for the last month.

Question 1:
My reason for posting here leads me to my original question. The RAM I picked (8x8GB 64GB total) said it was compatible with the X99 Extreme6/3.1 board according to PCPartPicker. As I am finding out though, they can be wrong on a lot of stuff. My research lead me to the ASRock RAM page for this mobo:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X99%20Extreme63.1/?cat=Memory&Model=X99%20Extreme6/3.1&Vendor=G.Skill

I am not seeing this DDR4 3200 RAM in the list and was wondering if the list is up to date. Obviously I don't want to buy the wrong stuff. The priority being the amount of RAM. I want 64GB or higher, so I am open to suggestions for better RAM options if there are any.

Question 2:
The other question being the M.2 Sata3. I was not seeing the Samsung 1TB (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820147567) listed in the X99 manual (the print could be outdated), but also was not finding any mention of it on the AERock storage page either.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X99%20Extreme63.1/?cat=Storage

Thanks for any help or feedback.

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S 46.4 CFM CPU Cooler  ($57.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme6/3.1 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($233.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($339.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($850.00) 
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($850.00) 
Case: NZXT Phantom 530 (White) ATX Full Tower Case  ($115.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM 64-bit  ($84.99 @ NCIX US) 
Case Fan: NZXT FN-120RB 47.3 CFM  120mm Fan  ($8.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case Fan: NZXT FN-120RB 47.3 CFM  120mm Fan  ($8.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case Fan: NZXT FN-200RB 166.2 CFM  200mm Fan  ($16.05 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: NZXT FN-200RB 166.2 CFM  200mm Fan  ($16.05 @ Amazon) 
Total: $5218.98
David Torno
www.provideocoalition.com/dtorno
www.vimeo.com/davidtorno
www.sydefxink.com
vfxman222 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vfxman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 2:26am
Anyone who is curious about it, I have answered one of my questions. I was looking at it all wrong and trying to ask the mobo people about the memory instead of asking the memory people about the mobo.

The G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory config I had chosen apparently is not compatible according to G.Skill's RAM configurator. Only these configurations are:

Still trying to confirm the Samsung 1TB M.2 Sata3 SSD though. The 512 is listed in the mobo manual, so I would assume the 1TB would work, but compatibility in the tech world of today is ridiculously fragile. Annoying so at times. I will update if I find the answer on this one too.

Edited by vfxman222 - 29 Aug 2016 at 2:26am
David Torno
www.vimeo.com/davidtorno
www.sydefxink.com
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 10:58am
SATA storage drives in general are so not exotic that any type of compatibility issues simply don't exist. Particularly based upon capacity alone. That is the least of your concerns.

What can make a difference is the M.2 interface, which can support both SATA and PCIe M.2 SSDs. Your board's M.2 slot supports both types, although a few boards do not.

Any particular reason for using an M.2 SATA SSD? It will not perform any better than a standard 2.5" form factor SATA SSD. I see the equivalent 1TB 2.5" 850 EVO is cheaper than the 1TB M.2 version.

Speaking of compatibility, I see a potential issue in your choice of CPU. Your Broadwell-E 6950X processor requires a specific UEFI/BIOS version being installed in the board, or it simply will not function at all.

If the board you receive does not have at least the version 3.00 UEFI firmware, a Broadwell-E processor will immediately fail the CPU POST check.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X99%20Extreme63.1/?cat=Download&os=BIOS

That is due to the multi-CPU generation support of the X99 platform. It can use both the Haswell-E and Broadwell-E HEDT processors. Haswell-E is the original processor generation supported by X99. Broadwell-E requires a UEFI update in order to work, which is a limitation that Intel has not managed to overcome on their HEDT platforms.

If the board you receive was produced during or after April of this year, it will most likely have that UEFI version out of the box. If not, it likely will not have that UEFI version. Impossible to know ahead of time, since the retailer does not have that information.

The only fix for a board with an earlier UEFI version is replacing the UEFI chip on the board (easily done) with one that has the required UEFI version in it, which ASRock will provide for you. Or if you have a Haswell-E CPU in your back pocket, you can run the board with it and update the UEFI yourself. This is true for any mother board manufacture, it is a purely Intel problem, identical to their X79 platform.

Otherwise, new X99 ASRock boards like the Taichi and the Fatal1ty X99 Professional Gaming i7, released along with Broadwell-E processors, will not have this situation.

FYI, Broadwell-E processors like yours support DDR4 memory speeds of up to 2400 by Intel's specification. Any memory speed above 2400 is a memory over clock, and not guaranteed.

http://ark.intel.com/products/94456/Intel-Core-i7-6950X-Processor-Extreme-Edition-25M-Cache-up-to-3_50-GHz

DDR4 3200 speed memory is not plug and play on any X99 system. Using eight DIMMs at 3200 will be a challenge at best, and in most cases impossible. It will also likely require the use of a non-standard BCLK setting of 125MHz, which also affects the CPU speed, which must be compensated for by adjusting the CPU core multipliers in the UEFI. Any DDR4 3200 memory will operate at lower speeds, the default speed will be either 2133 or 2400. The real world usefulness of DDR4 memory above 2666 is very small.

The Noctua NH-U9S CPU cooler is just adequate for your CPU, certainly not with any over clock.

Your choice of PC case baffles me. It has many 3.5" drive bays/cages, that frankly reduce airflow through the case to a great degree. Yet you are using an M.2 SSD, is that the OS drive? The drive cages can be removed, or partially. The 5.25" optical drive bays are only useful if you use an optical drive.

I can also assure you that the large 200mm fan in the front of the case won't provide good airflow to two 1080's in SLI. They are fine as exhaust fans, not fighting any obstacles, but as an intake fan through vents and filters, they don't work well.

Your main concern will be getting the heat from those cards out of the PC case, without their heated air being used to "cool" your CPU.

As a first build, you have chosen a non-beginners platform. You seem to have some experience, but I strongly suggest you study your board's manual.
vfxman222 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vfxman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 6:55am
Thanks for the detailed feedback parsec, I appreciate it very much. This has been a trying journey for me trying to figure this all out.
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

SATA storage drives in general are so not exotic that any type of compatibility issues simply don't exist. Particularly based upon capacity alone. That is the least of your concerns.

What can make a difference is the M.2 interface, which can support both SATA and PCIe M.2 SSDs. Your board's M.2 slot supports both types, although a few boards do not.

Any particular reason for using an M.2 SATA SSD? It will not perform any better than a standard 2.5" form factor SATA SSD. I see the equivalent 1TB 2.5" 850 EVO is cheaper than the 1TB M.2 version.

I didn't think there would be, but I was getting information from the mobo user manual and a few other spots that did not actively list it as a compatible product. The M.2 format was recomended by a friend, so it became a starting point for me. I have since changed it out on my list for the 850 EVO 1TB 2.5". So glad to see I made a decent call there. :)

Speaking of compatibility, I see a potential issue in your choice of CPU. Your Broadwell-E 6950X processor requires a specific UEFI/BIOS version being installed in the board, or it simply will not function at all.

If the board you receive does not have at least the version 3.00 UEFI firmware, a Broadwell-E processor will immediately fail the CPU POST check.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X99%20Extreme63.1/?cat=Download&os=BIOS

That is due to the multi-CPU generation support of the X99 platform. It can use both the Haswell-E and Broadwell-E HEDT processors. Haswell-E is the original processor generation supported by X99. Broadwell-E requires a UEFI update in order to work, which is a limitation that Intel has not managed to overcome on their HEDT platforms.

If the board you receive was produced during or after April of this year, it will most likely have that UEFI version out of the box. If not, it likely will not have that UEFI version. Impossible to know ahead of time, since the retailer does not have that information.

The only fix for a board with an earlier UEFI version is replacing the UEFI chip on the board (easily done) with one that has the required UEFI version in it, which ASRock will provide for you. Or if you have a Haswell-E CPU in your back pocket, you can run the board with it and update the UEFI yourself. This is true for any mother board manufacture, it is a purely Intel problem, identical to their X79 platform.

Otherwise, new X99 ASRock boards like the Taichi and the Fatal1ty X99 Professional Gaming i7, released along with Broadwell-E processors, will not have this situation.
I did read something similar about the bios during my research, and general info on flashing the bios if it is older. From the "how-to" posts I've seen, I felt comfortable enough to do such things if needed.

FYI, Broadwell-E processors like yours support DDR4 memory speeds of up to 2400 by Intel's specification. Any memory speed above 2400 is a memory over clock, and not guaranteed.

http://ark.intel.com/products/94456/Intel-Core-i7-6950X-Processor-Extreme-Edition-25M-Cache-up-to-3_50-GHz

DDR4 3200 speed memory is not plug and play on any X99 system. Using eight DIMMs at 3200 will be a challenge at best, and in most cases impossible. It will also likely require the use of a non-standard BCLK setting of 125MHz, which also affects the CPU speed, which must be compensated for by adjusting the CPU core multipliers in the UEFI. Any DDR4 3200 memory will operate at lower speeds, the default speed will be either 2133 or 2400. The real world usefulness of DDR4 memory above 2666 is very small.
I will keep an eye on this then as I've already pulled the trigger on the RipJaw 4 2666. I did not previously catch the limit of 2400 on that proc. I do not plan on any over clocking as I wanted to keep things "stable". I may be exchanging these when they arrive.

The Noctua NH-U9S CPU cooler is just adequate for your CPU, certainly not with any over clock.
Definitely not planning on over clocking.

Your choice of PC case baffles me. It has many 3.5" drive bays/cages, that frankly reduce airflow through the case to a great degree. Yet you are using an M.2 SSD, is that the OS drive? The drive cages can be removed, or partially. The 5.25" optical drive bays are only useful if you use an optical drive.

I can also assure you that the large 200mm fan in the front of the case won't provide good airflow to two 1080's in SLI. They are fine as exhaust fans, not fighting any obstacles, but as an intake fan through vents and filters, they don't work well.

Your main concern will be getting the heat from those cards out of the PC case, without their heated air being used to "cool" your CPU.
As far as the case goes, it came down to a few things. One, it seemed to be able to house everything I was planning on getting, and allowed for some future growth. Two, I got sick and tired of looking at cases for a month. From what I read on the case, the cages were modular and could be left out. Giving more room for the longer Titan cards. I was not planning to keep all the cages in the case. I did add two 200mm top fans, and two 120mm bottom fans to my list as well. I think there is room for another hinged one to face the cards directly if I recall.

As a first build, you have chosen a non-beginners platform. You seem to have some experience, but I strongly suggest you study your board's manual.

I'm am completely new to building PC's, but have contacts with a few people who have built them before, but not as professionals. They have been my starting point of information.

Thankfully I am very tech minded person, and learn things decently fast (usually). I was a Technical Director in VFX for a good 4+ years, and have worked in post for over 16 years. Most of that though has been in a Mac world. With mostly end user software knowledge of PC, versus hardware knowledge. Outside of graphics cards that is.

I truly appreciate all of the help you provided here. I'll update here as things progress. Hopefully well. :)
David Torno
www.vimeo.com/davidtorno
www.sydefxink.com
vfxman222 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vfxman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 4:02am
So I finally have all of the parts, but one. I'll probably be doing the build later this week.

I did end up returning the G.Skill RipJaw 4 2666 RAM and replace it with G.Skill RipJaw 4 2400 to better match the processor spec.

Also added two more 140mm fans, the airflow in the case should be pretty decent, especially when I remove two of the HHD cages. I only need the 3 bay with fan hinge for now. The extra fan aimed at the dual Titans should help.

The ASRock Extreme6/3.1 board did come with bios 3.0 preinstalled from what I can see on the sticker marking, so that will save me from having to deal with a bios update to use the i7-6950X.

Thanks again for the feedback parsec.
David Torno
www.vimeo.com/davidtorno
www.sydefxink.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic