ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock H110M-STX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigMcLargeHuge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 10:32pm
Parsec,

The H110M-STX motherboard seems to have the serial port active although there isn't a physical one installed on the PC. When I installed Windows 10 it appeared in the device manager. Unfortunately the BIOS doesn't not have the means to turn it off. Usually there is a Super I/O setting in the UEFI setup but it isn't there in BIOS 1.40 (Unless I missed it which wouldn't be first time I've missed something that's right in front of my face, my wife will tell you how good I am at that Smile).

This is what the advanced screen in my UEFI looks like. It is missing the Super IO option

I have to say DeskMini 110 is a great design. It does have a few rough edges and more USB 3.0 ports would be appreciated.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 4:06am
Originally posted by BigMcLargeHuge BigMcLargeHuge wrote:

Parsec,

The H110M-STX motherboard seems to have the serial port active although there isn't a physical one installed on the PC. When I installed Windows 10 it appeared in the device manager. Unfortunately the BIOS doesn't not have the means to turn it off. Usually there is a Super I/O setting in the UEFI setup but it isn't there in BIOS 1.40 (Unless I missed it which wouldn't be first time I've missed something that's right in front of my face, my wife will tell you how good I am at that Smile).

This is what the advanced screen in my UEFI looks like. It is missing the Super IO option

I have to say DeskMini 110 is a great design. It does have a few rough edges and more USB 3.0 ports would be appreciated.

You are right about the COM/serial port being shown in Device Manager, while there is no COMl port on your version (and mine) of the H110M-STX board.

You are also right about the lack of an option in the UEFI to disable it. My wife would also tell you how often I miss something right in front of me, but that's when I'm looking for the mayo or mustard in the refrigerator. Wink  Important things like an option in the UEF I don't miss.

The COM port is included on the H110M-STX/COM board only. It is provided by the H110 chipset, so there is not an extra chip on the board that provides that feature.

I imagine an option to disable the COM port will be added in a future version of the UEFI. That is a common option in the UEFI of other ASRock boards. Until then, you can disable it in Device Manager, in the Driver tab. Is it causing you a problem of some kind?

This PC has three USB 3.0 ports, if you include the Type A port on the front panel. At least only one USB 2.0 port was included on the IO panel. The USB 3.0 port on the IO panel seems to support two USB 3.0 connections, so a USB 3.0 hub could be used on that connection. The H110 chipset supports only four USB 3.0 ports, so all of them are available, with two combined on the USB 3.0 port on the IO panel.

What other rough edges do you think the DeskMini 110 has? Smile

BigMcLargeHuge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigMcLargeHuge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 10:45am
As a poster had mentioned previously turning off the serial port is important for building a Hackintosh which is one of the reasons I bought the DeskMini. Also I have a thing about turning off features on a computer that aren't being used, it's the paranoid IT manager in me. Smile 

If it comes down to it I'll try to edit a DSDT to disable it but I'm not too thrilled about it. But really all that needs to happen is to set the COM port default to off, no UEFI menu options needed. So hopefully a UEFI fix happens quickly.  

Besides the serial port being stuck in the UEFI in the "ON" position the other rough edges were installing the antennae, more USB ports would be nice but I know it requires a different chipset, and dropping the VGA port for another DP would great. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic