ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock Extreme pro 3 - motherboard burnt?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ViktorKolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASRock Extreme pro 3 - motherboard burnt?
    Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 9:52pm
Hello,

CPU                 - AMD FX8350 [ CPU cooler - Artic Xfreezer rev2]

Motherboard    - ASRock extreme pro 3

GPU                             - MSI R9 270 2GB  Radeon

PSU                              - Coolmaster 650M

RAM                             - Corsair Vengeance 4GB x 2

Drives              - Samsung SSD 120GB
                                      1TB Toshiba

Windows 8.1

I recently started getting random reboots on my system. By that i mean no warning, no error, just a hard reboot - black screen and then normal startup. Reasons for that could be quite a few, firstly i thought it was overheating but my CPU wont go above 71 degrees Celsius. I tried to see what conditions it doest that, i played some games like The Crew or WoW and in both cases it would happen, mostly on The Crew is 5/5 and wow 2/5. That bids me to think its high stress. I changed the thermal paste, and it didnt seem to happen for 1 night. The next day it happened on Microsoft Office 2016. 

Ram test - OK

CPU stress  test - OK

GPU stress  test - OK

PSU - fan works, voltage not checked.

Below are images of the GPU test and info

What worries me is the fact that i have another image from my motherboard, can someone tell me which component this is and why does it look like this? There is dark brown/golden substance around it, some sort of residue.

my knowledge is limited on this matter.

LOCATED ON CENTER under Xfast RAM

Thank you

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by ViktorKolev ViktorKolev wrote:

Hello,

CPU                 - AMD FX8350 [ CPU cooler - Artic Xfreezer rev2]

Motherboard    - ASRock extreme pro 3

GPU                             - MSI R9 270 2GB  Radeon

PSU                              - Coolmaster 650M

RAM                             - Corsair Vengeance 4GB x 2

Drives              - Samsung SSD 120GB
                                      1TB Toshiba

Windows 8.1

I recently started getting random reboots on my system. By that i mean no warning, no error, just a hard reboot - black screen and then normal startup. Reasons for that could be quite a few, firstly i thought it was overheating but my CPU wont go above 71 degrees Celsius. I tried to see what conditions it doest that, i played some games like The Crew or WoW and in both cases it would happen, mostly on The Crew is 5/5 and wow 2/5. That bids me to think its high stress. I changed the thermal paste, and it didnt seem to happen for 1 night. The next day it happened on Microsoft Office 2016. 

Ram test - OK

CPU stress  test - OK

GPU stress  test - OK

PSU - fan works, voltage not checked.

Below are images of the GPU test and info

What worries me is the fact that i have another image from my motherboard, can someone tell me which component this is and why does it look like this? There is dark brown/golden substance around it, some sort of residue.

my knowledge is limited on this matter.

LOCATED ON CENTER under Xfast RAM

Thank you

ASRock does not make an AMD "Extreme Pro 3" board.

After searching and checking, you seem to have a 970 Extreme3 board. Is this your board:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970%20Extreme3/

Assuming this is your board, you have two problems.

One problem is your CPU temperature of 71C, to high for an FX-8350. Checking this information:

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-FX-Series%20FX-8350.html

The maximum operating temperature of your CPU is 61C.

Next, your picture shows a damaged component on your board. I can see the burn marks and grey ash from that part exploding at some time. You can find it in the picture on your boards information page, above.

I can't tell if that is a capacitor, but it might be. It is next to a voltage regulator chip, whose purpose I don't know, given the area it is in. It looks like it might have happened not long ago.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic