ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > OC Build Advice
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Tripple mother board stacked in an AeroCool Air
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tripple mother board stacked in an AeroCool Air

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tripple mother board stacked in an AeroCool Air
    Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 1:32am
Hello!

One thing led to another and a crazy idea is being built.

I  am an AMD fan and now own 2 9590s' and an 8350
 I have two ASRock Fatal1ty 970 Performance mother boards with Kingston HyperX 1886 MHZ  (4X8gb)
 Here shortly I will rieve a Kingston Predator M.2 form factor as primary system SSD Currently using a HyperX 120 gb SSD

I have had a few snags and thought to get advice.

First snag is I cannot run the 1886 DDR3 at 1886 MHZ without lock up(s). True I do not know much about setting the OC settings related to RAM. So yes time to ask questions.

I have attempted to OC and the best I can do is 5% and run at 49xxMHZ with a reported maximum of 63xx MHZ

I am running possible too small a power supply at 680 watts. As I can hear the fans slow a bit when all 8 cores are at 100% so I freely share that.

In a perfect world I would love to pusththe HyperX 1886 above 1886 MHZ but getting there first will be a winner.

So, this started when I ordered the AeroCool AIR "test bench" case and ASRock Fatal1ty 970 with memory and SSD. then I decided to stack another Mother Board on top of that and then I went with the triple mother board idea.. Just to do it! 
 I have everything I need including two Raspberry Pi Monitors to build into the lid for easy displays for the two "slave" computers.
 I intend to explore and learn Message Passing Interface programming (MPI) so besides an interesting ( to me) build I also want that "mini" supercomputer action :)

So two Fatal1ty boards had identical memory and the third board is not an ASRock MB but still an AMD cpu the 8350 with 32MB of 1600 DDR3 which I can OC to 1886

Okay that's my story and I sure hope to glean so OC advice in making the best use of the CPU, MB and Memory.. The Kingston Predator speaks for itself doesn't it?

Dynamic Unary generates a new kind of number
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 2:28am
Originally posted by Ernst Ernst wrote:

First snag is I cannot run the 1886 DDR3 at 1886 MHZ without lock up(s).

Find the "CPU/NB Voltage" setting and bump it 0.01 or 0.02v and test stability.

As for the 680 being enough, you don't list what the system is comprised so we have no real idea if it is, or not.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 12:22pm

Hello!

One thing led to another and a crazy idea is being built.

I  am an AMD fan and now own 2 9590s' and an 8350
 I have two ASRock Fatal1ty 970 Performance mother boards with Kingston HyperX 1886 MHZ  (4X8gb)
 Here shortly I will rieve a Kingston Predator M.2 form factor as primary system SSD Currently using a HyperX 120 gb SSD

I have had a few snags and thought to get advice.

First snag is I cannot run the 1886 DDR3 at 1886 MHZ without lock up(s). True I do not know much about setting the OC settings related to RAM. So yes time to ask questions.

I have attempted to OC and the best I can do is 5% and run at 49xxMHZ with a reported maximum of 63xx MHZ

I am running possible too small a power supply at 680 watts. As I can hear the fans slow a bit when all 8 cores are at 100% so I freely share that.

In a perfect world I would love to pusththe HyperX 1886 above 1886 MHZ but getting there first will be a winner.

So, this started when I ordered the AeroCool AIR "test bench" case and ASRock Fatal1ty 970 with memory and SSD. then I decided to stack another Mother Board on top of that and then I went with the triple mother board idea.. Just to do it! 
 I have everything I need including two Raspberry Pi Monitors to build into the lid for easy displays for the two "slave" computers.
 I intend to explore and learn Message Passing Interface programming (MPI) so besides an interesting ( to me) build I also want that "mini" supercomputer action :)

So two Fatal1ty boards had identical memory and the third board is not an ASRock MB but still an AMD cpu the 8350 with 32MB of 1600 DDR3 which I can OC to 1886

Okay that's my story and I sure hope to glean so OC advice in making the best use of the CPU, MB and Memory.. The Kingston Predator speaks for itself doesn't it?

What? Confused

How can you stack two, much less three mother boards on an Aerocool Strike-X Air bench type chassis? You can't even stack two Aerocool Strike-X Airs on each other.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/321698918059?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

Either "AeroCool AIR Test bench" is not the actual name, or you need to check it more closely.

Something tells me you'll need more than one PSU with more than one mother board. Particularly if your mystery 680 Watt PSU's 12V rail is drooping so much that the fans slow down when used with one mother board.

wardog must be tired, he let over clocking an FX-9590 on a 970 Performance board slip by without comment. Nuke  I'll just say, good luck with that.

What type of CPU cooling will you be using with "stacked" mother boards, with FX-9590 CPUs? Can't be air cooling, for multiple reasons. Custom water cooling with stacked boards will result in some interesting plumbing, not to mention where the radiators will be located.

No mention of video cards yet...

You have maybe 50% of this build planned so far, component-wise that is. Doesn't sound like you have everything you need. I would add at least a whole lot of zip ties.

You have a lot more to worry about then over clocking your memory to 1866.

The Kingston Predator SSD is a PCIe 2.0 x4 interface, AHCI PCIe SSD. Faster than SATA SSDs, but out classed by the PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe SSDs, like the current Samsung 950 Pro, OCZ RD400, or Intel 750. It's nice, but not top tier. 
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

How can you stack two, much less three mother boards on an Aerocool Strike-X Air bench type chassis? You can't even stack two Aerocool Strike-X Airs on each other.

?? Probably http://www.aerocool.us/dreambox/dreambox.html
Ernst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2016 at 6:45pm
First thank you for chatting with me on this issue. I do need advice.

Let me list the componants

Apevia Iceberg 680W ATX12V and EPS12V Power Supply ATX-IB680W-BL

PNY GeForce GTX 960 DirectX 12 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 SLI Support XLR8 Video Card (VCGGTX9604XPB)

Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz DDR3 CL10 DIMM - Blue (HX318C10FK2/16), (Pack of 2)( total 4 sticks installed)

Kingston Digital HyperX FURY 120GB SSD SATA 3 2.5 Solid State Drive with Adapter (SHFS37A/120G)( currently two installed)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm AIO Enthusiast Liquid Cooling System CPU Cooler CL-W007-PL12BL-A

A 6 tb DRIVE, 50 gb Blu-Ray drive, 1 120mm fan and the stock HD fan in the Air Case.  I have the lid off for now so that fan is not being used at this time. I plan on installing the Kingston Predator SSD and move the two 120 SSDs' to the other two MotherBoards.

I am currently getting ready for work so I will change that setting and report back this evening.

Ernst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2016 at 6:54pm
I take it you will want photographic proof. :)

Yes I can and have stacked three .
 I've been slow to "finish" and one of the things I need to do is move the lid up higher and install the two Rasbery Pi screens into the lid I believe that is how I want it.

JBtek® 10 Inches High Resolution 1280x800 Raspberry Pi Screen Display LCD TFT Monitor EJ101IA-01G with Remote Driver Control Board 2AV HDMI VGA for Rasbperry Pi

Like I say I've been slow to finish so I could simply mount the MBs and shoot the picture of the basic idea or be sure to post a photo when done.  Your choice.  I wouldn't want you to think this is a prank thread.  As much as I have spent it truly is not funny at all! :)

Yeah if I can get this MB configured right I can move on to Mother Board 2 and set that up.

The interesting bit is the lid.  Still am kicking ideas around on how to modify that.  Do I put the screens into it or leave the fan look alone?  I haven't decided everything yet.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2016 at 10:17pm

I take it you will want photographic proof. :)

Yes I can and have stacked three .
 I've been slow to "finish" and one of the things I need to do is move the lid up higher and install the two Rasbery Pi screens into the lid I believe that is how I want it.

JBtek® 10 Inches High Resolution 1280x800 Raspberry Pi Screen Display LCD TFT Monitor EJ101IA-01G with Remote Driver Control Board 2AV HDMI VGA for Rasbperry Pi

Like I say I've been slow to finish so I could simply mount the MBs and shoot the picture of the basic idea or be sure to post a photo when done.  Your choice.  I wouldn't want you to think this is a prank thread.  As much as I have spent it truly is not funny at all! :)

Yeah if I can get this MB configured right I can move on to Mother Board 2 and set that up.

The interesting bit is the lid.  Still am kicking ideas around on how to modify that.  Do I put the screens into it or leave the fan look alone?  I haven't decided everything yet.

We'll see...
Ernst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 6:58am
Do you guys want  me to do a thread?  It's two ASRock MBs' and one other brand.

Okay now to see about that change.

Ernst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 7:43am

I see that the only option I have is to drop from 1.5v to 1.4 ~ meaning on Auto the NB voltage is 1.5 but I can only select 1.4v

What about NB freq multiplier? I'm guessing.

Suggestions? 

Edited by Ernst - 28 Sep 2016 at 8:02am
Ernst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 8:38am
Got to hand it to them; expanding market!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic