ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > OverClocking(OC) Zone > OC Technical Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

does mobo extreme4 auto pch voltage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Packard93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: does mobo extreme4 auto pch voltage
    Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 10:40am
Will the pch voltage be raised or lowered in the background depending on my video card that overclocks in the slot. Does overclocking affect the pch voltages . If so does auto voltage help prevent voltage bottleneck when I overclock my 780 ti. Im wondering cause I run tdp at 105 percent will the board allow more volts to get to card. I want to overclock my 780 ti some more.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by Packard93 Packard93 wrote:

Will the pch voltage be raised or lowered in the background depending on my video card that overclocks in the slot. Does overclocking affect the pch voltages . If so does auto voltage help prevent voltage bottleneck when I overclock my 780 ti. Im wondering cause I run tdp at 105 percent will the board allow more volts to get to card. I want to overclock my 780 ti some more.

No mother board mentioned, but PCH is Intel's term for Platform Control Hub, otherwise known as the boards chipset. So I'll assume an Intel board of some kind.

The PCIe lanes used by a video card are provided by the CPU on any Intel system that uses a PCH.

The PCH has no involvement in the operation of a video card. Over clocking a video card will not affect the PCH voltage whatsoever.

Power is supplied to a video card primarily by the 12V PCIe 6 or 8 pin cable connected directly to the PSU. The 75W of power supplied by the PCIe slot is simply routed to the slot from the 24 pin ATX power connection, again from the PSU. The 12V and 5V connections on the PCIe slot are not regulated or controlled by the mother board in any way.

The voltage to the GPU chip on a video card is created on the video card itself, from the 12V supplied to the card from the PSU. "... will the board allow more volts to get to card", is not a correct description. The voltage applied to the video cards GPU chip is only controlled by the voltage regulating and control circuitry on the video card itself.

A mother board does not control if any additional voltage is supplied to the GPU chip.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 1:04pm
As Parsec stated, the GPU's power is controlled by the GPU's own power systems. Most, if not all, GPUs have a similar power delivery system to a motherboard, in fact the GTX 960 I have is powered by a 12 phase power design that is actually more robust than the power system on my motherboard. 

If you are looking to get more voltage into your GPU (the actual graphics processor on the card) you will need to use a modded vBIOS (BIOS for your GPU) to achieve this. I would however strongly advise against it. If you were not aware of this then you most likely are not experienced enough to safely do so. Tampering with the maximum voltage of a GPU can instantly fry your card if done improperly. If you do choose to go this route and don't mind a little bit of a learning curve then you should be able to find all the information you need via google. Look up "volt modding" and your particular GPU (make and model). You should find pre-modded BIOS files for your GPU that have been tested as well as instructions as to how to flash to them and use them. Again, I do not recommend it as it most often offers little to no benefit and will drastically shorten the lifespan of your GPU if not blow it outright. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic