ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Updating BIOS .. please advise

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GhostSalad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Updating BIOS .. please advise
    Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 4:56pm
Hello everyone Smile

I have a query regarding updating BIOS, its my 1st time updating a BIOS. I have a z77 extreme 4 mobo and its currently showing BIOS ver. P2.0 ... my question is DO I need to update to the latest one ? right now my system is stable, no abnormal behavior .. any benefit of updating it ?

thanks
Silvest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silvest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 5:03pm
As long as your system is running fine, it is not recommended to update your bios.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 5:07pm
Personally, it's my belief that if it's running fine, that's not a time to update.

A newer BIOS is no panacea that would gain you any more noticeable performance.

Plus you run a risk of a bad flash.

And speaking of bad flashes, ONLY use the Instant Flash method if and when you do decide to. Far FAR less chance of hosing a BIOS flash than the other two risky methods.

HTH

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 5:20pm
It has all been said here already but I will post my agreement. BIOS flashing should only be undertaken if there is an issue that effects you that a new version solves. In general most of my systems run the same BIOS I purchased them with unless I needed to update for CPU or RAM support reasons.

Also very important is:

Originally posted by Wardog Wardog wrote:

And speaking of bad flashes, ONLY use the Instant Flash method if and when you do decide to. Far FAR less chance of hosing a BIOS flash than the other two risky methods
GhostSalad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GhostSalad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 5:55pm
Thankyou gents for the prompt replies. What I conclude from the above discussion is NOT to update it as its performing normally. I was just looking at these BETA BIOS versions and was tempted to do so, since the description says

''ASRock Beta version BIOS are designed for the users who are seeking to achieve the best performance out of their PCs such as gamers, overclocking lovers and PC enthusiasts''.

Source:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme4/?cat=Beta
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by GhostSalad GhostSalad wrote:

''ASRock Beta version BIOS are designed for the users who are seeking to achieve the best performance out of their PCs such as gamers, overclocking lovers and PC enthusiasts''.

Source:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme4/?cat=Beta

Well, BIOSes solve a technical issue someone encounters. Yet for a User to believe they will get a free 10fps just by updating their BIOS, well ......... it's due time they get off that blunt and pass it this way Tongue
GhostSalad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GhostSalad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 1:21am
Big smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smile  high on life Big smileBig smileBig smileBig smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic