ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - H110M-ITX/ac problems with BIOS, WiFi, power off
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

H110M-ITX/ac problems with BIOS, WiFi, power off

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mister123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: H110M-ITX/ac problems with BIOS, WiFi, power off
    Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 8:42pm
Hi, I purchased a brand new H110M-ITX/ac last week.

I'm experiencing three concerning issues:

1) BIOS display of temperature and fan speed sensors are incorrect. (Click photos below to enlarge.)

2) WiFi won't turn on and won't connect to any wireless networks. (Yes, the pigtail antenna wires are properly attached to the M.2 card.)

3) Hardware won't power off after Windows shuts down. (Yes, shut down, not sleep! Windows properly shuts down and my monitor powers off, but the power supply, CPU fan, case fan, case lights, LAN port light, etc. all remain powered on.)

I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Yes, I have installed all drivers for H110M-ITX/ac that are listed here:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H110M-ITXac/?cat=Download&os=Win1064
(In the downloaded file Intel Wireless Lan driver ver:18.20.0 there are 7 installers and it's unclear which one I'm supposed to run - I ran Wireless_18.20.0_ e164.)

I've built many computers in the past, so it's unlikely my error, but just to be sure I double and triple checked all wiring connections. I also reinstalled Windows multiple times and updated BIOS to the latest version, which is currently P1.50.

I suspect a defective motherboard. Please advise, thanks.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 10:59am
There is something very wrong with that board, or something connected to that board.

Did you notice the 12V, 5V, and 3.3V readings shown in the UEFI, in your screenshot? Also, the CPU Core Voltage?

Every one of the three voltages is out of specification. They are all way over, the 12V and 5V by almost 1V, the 3.3V by a bit less, but still out of spec.

Then a 4V+ VCore? Impossible actually. The CPU and mother board temperatures are also crazy.

To even ask about what CPU cooler you are using is the least of your worries.

I don't know if it's the board and its sensor chip that is defective, or the PSU.

WiFi won't turn on? What does the Device Manager entry show for the WiFi adapter? If you open Windows Network and Sharing center, what do you see?

Otherwise, have you checked that all the Wake on LAN settings are disabled in Device Manager, for the network adapter you use? You may also need to configure your keyboard and mouse specifically in Device Manager to not wake the PC. Believe me, it matters, they can turn on a PC after shutdown with the slightest vibration.

I hope that Corsair PSU did not cost $130. I've paid less for a 650W EVGA Platinum PSU.

mister123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mister123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Did you notice the 12V, 5V, and 3.3V readings shown in the UEFI, in your screenshot? Also, the CPU Core Voltage?

Yeah, that's why I shared those screen shots. 

To even ask about what CPU cooler you are using is the least of your worries.

I'm using the stock cooler that came with my brand new i5 6500.

WiFi won't turn on? What does the Device Manager entry show for the WiFi adapter? If you open Windows Network and Sharing center, what do you see?

Right, won't turn on even though Device Manager says, "This device is working properly."

Device Manager shows 'Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160' for the WiFi adapter:

Looking at the screen shot below, when I manually slide "on" the blue switch, nothing seems to happen other than the switch *sometimes* appearing blue, but most of the time it automatically immediately switches itself back "off" to grey. Either way, the network status pop-up on the right always says "Turned off" for Wi-Fi and it never displays any broadcasted networks nor does the Wi-Fi adapter connect to any known networks I added manually.

Otherwise, have you checked that all the Wake on LAN settings are disabled in Device Manager, for the network adapter you use? You may also need to configure your keyboard and mouse specifically in Device Manager to not wake the PC. Believe me, it matters, they can turn on a PC after shutdown with the slightest vibration.

Yep...

Edited by mister123 - 29 Sep 2016 at 9:23pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 10:38pm
1. Check that the CPU fan is properly and fully connected. And to the proper header for whatever # of pins the pigtail has.

A bad/loose ground or misplaced power connection on a header here especially, but anywhere in general, will cause bunkus readings to be presented.

Over 4v VCore? Yea ...... NOT. I'd have smelled that fire from here Tongue

2. Failing a faulty connection on the board I'd say it's high time to remove it from the case and test with ONLY the bare necessities.

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 12:36am
Some models of the stock Skylake CPU cooler are known to have problems with the four pin, PWM CPU fan header on Skylake mother boards. I spent time testing this and learned the Intel Skylake CPU coolers made by NIDEC have this problem. Just check the label on the fan.

If you have any UEFI/BIOS version from 1.30 or newer installed, you should find an option in the H/W Monitoring screen, called CPU Fan Type, or similar, I can't recall the name exactly. It has two settings, Auto (default) and 4 Pin. The description of this option in the UEFI will verify what I've said. Select 4 Pin and Save and Exit the UEFI.

While that should improve the CPU cooler's fan operation and speed reporting, the other reading in H/W Monitor would have me doing what wardog suggested above, ASAP.

About the WiFi, the screenshot that shows Wi-Fi Turned off, clicking on that should toggle it between On and Off, that's how mine works.

The Network and Sharing center picture looks like a standard wired Internet connection is established and working.

But all of this is IMO, not a priority compared to fixing the problem that is causing the bizarre voltage readings you have. Any chance you have a PCIe power cable connected to the four pin CPU power connector on the board?
mister123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mister123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 6:14am
Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

1. Check that the CPU fan is properly and fully connected. And to the proper header for whatever # of pins the pigtail has.

Yes, I quadrupole-checked it. I even removed and reconnected ALL wires.

Some models of the stock Skylake CPU cooler are known to have problems with the four pin, PWM CPU fan header on Skylake mother boards. I spent time testing this and learned the Intel Skylake CPU coolers made by NIDEC have this problem. Just check the label on the fan.

The label says Foxconn.

If you have any UEFI/BIOS version from 1.30 or newer installed, you should find an option in the H/W Monitoring screen, called CPU Fan Type, or similar, I can't recall the name exactly. It has two settings, Auto (default) and 4 Pin. The description of this option in the UEFI will verify what I've said. Select 4 Pin and Save and Exit the UEFI.

I've already tried that before creating this topic. :(

About the WiFi, the screenshot that shows Wi-Fi Turned off, clicking on that should toggle it between On and Off, that's how mine works.

Should is the keyword. You would think clicking that should toggle it between on and off, right? But that's not how mine works. Clicking that only changes the text from white to the grey seen in the screen shot.

The Network and Sharing center picture looks like a standard wired Internet connection is established and working.

Yes, the wired LAN works fine. I'm using it to reply here. As stated previously, though, my concern is regarding the WiFi adapter.

Any chance you have a PCIe power cable connected to the four pin CPU power connector on the board?

Nope, the PCIe power cable is where it belongs - connected to my graphics card. The first four pins of the PSU's dedicated 8-pin ATX 12V power cable are connected to the 4-pin CPU power connector on the motherboard.
mister123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mister123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 9:38pm
Just mentioning that I also tried a different PSU (Antec 1000W), but alas, same crazy sensor readings in BIOS as well as all other problems I previously mentioned. Unhappy
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 10:33pm
Besides checking the board out of the PC case, with a minimal amount of extra hardware attached (no video card, using integrated graphics, just the OS drive), nothing else to do but get the board replaced.

We've never seen a board with the H/W Monitoring screen readings yours has. At the very least, the monitoring chip seems to be bad. I doubt that bent pins in the CPU socket would cause the strange results you have.

We've never mentioned clearing the UEFI/CMOS yet, or flashing to a new UEFI version, the latest is 1.50. Use Instant Flash if you try to update.
mister123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mister123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 2:53am
I've already tried all of that, too...

* Booted into BIOS with only CPU, memory, integrated graphics, and 24-pin and 4-pin power connections - nothing else - and still saw those crazy sensor readings.

* Cleared CMOS multiple times. Tried a couple of times with the CMOS battery attached and a couple of times without the CMOS battery attached.

* Flashed UEFI to version P1.50.

At the very least, the monitoring chip seems to be bad.

If only the incorrect sensor readings in BIOS were the only problem. :( Considering that also WiFi doesn't work and all the hardware won't power off after Windows shuts down leads me to believe there is something really wrong with this motherboard.

Edited by mister123 - 01 Oct 2016 at 2:54am
mister123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mister123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 9:41pm
So, I concluded that the motherboard is in fact defective. ASRock support finally responded to my email and seemed to conclude the same (only after I manually copy-pasted this thread to them because they "do not check forum links"), suggesting I send it to them for a RMA. I don't have time for their slow support. This was my first and last time to try ASRock - I'm beyond disappointed with the quality of their product as well as support. I returned the motherboard to the retailer where I bought it from for a full refund, thanks to the retailer's policy. I purchased a new motherboard by a different manufacturer and everything works properly.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic