ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

U.2 Kit on Taichi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: U.2 Kit on Taichi
    Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 12:25am
Hello

I just bought Taichi and U.2 kit and I do not know how to activate it. I know that in my last asus I had an option is BIOS to enable it, in Taichi I downloaded newest BIOS and still cannot find this function.

ultra M.2 port doesnt detect U.2 kit.

Please Help!!!
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 5:25am
That's with a drive attached to the adapters U.2 interface?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 10:17am
Originally posted by Vego Vego wrote:

Hello

I just bought Taichi and U.2 kit and I do not know how to activate it. I know that in my last asus I had an option is BIOS to enable it, in Taichi I downloaded newest BIOS and still cannot find this function.

ultra M.2 port doesnt detect U.2 kit.

Please Help!!!

ASRock does not include an option to "activate" a U.2 to M.2 adapter, on any of their boards. Not necessary at all.

Do you simply have the M.2 to U.2 adapter connected to the M.2 slot, with nothing else connected to the U.2 adapter? If you do, you won't see it detected. It's a passive, adapter device, that simply adapts the M.2 data connection to a U.2 cable. There is nothing to be detected with this adapter.

Would an M.2 to PCIe slot adapter card, without an M.2 SSD in the adapter card be detected? No, because again it is simply an adapter device. Do we need a UEFI option to activate an M.2 to PCIe adapter card? Does Asus have an option for that? No to both questions.

If you do have an NVMe SSD connected to the U.2 adapter, most likely an Intel 2.5" 750, you won't see it included in the Storage Configuration screen. Did you check for it in the System Browser tool? Do you see the NVMe Configuration option in the Advanced screen in the UEFI, if you have an NVMe SSD connected to the PC? If you do, look for it there.

I use an M.2 to U.2 adapter in my ASRock X99 Extreme6/3.1 board, with an Intel 2.5" 750 SSD. Works perfect, no problem at all. Plus I'm using a Gigabyte U.2 to M.2 adapter, which was included free when I bought the Intel 750.

I know Asus does that in their UEFIs. There might be a reason, but besides giving the impression of being exotic or special, I don't see what it would be. If Asus put some proprietary, unneeded switch on their "U.2 kit", then it would be necessary. Or if they do some kind of switching of the PCIe lanes, it might serve a purpose.

But since Z170 boards do not use the CPU's PCIe lanes for PCIe SSDs (the Z170 chipset provides those resources instead), and Z170 boards have M.2 slots, I think that Asus UEFI option makes no sense.
Vego View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 2:12pm
ok

i do have my ssd conected to u.2 kit
my ssd is intel 750 400gb

system browser shows ultra m.2 ports "empty"

Advanced does not include nvme options :(

on asus z170 this drive works :(
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic