ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

pcie x8 card in pcie x16 slot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macatak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pcie x8 card in pcie x16 slot
    Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 3:41pm
Hi hope someone can tell me. I have H61M-S motherboard and inserted PCI express 2 x8 card in the PCI express x16 slot and pc wont boot up. Does this board accept x8 card in x16 slot without me having to change anything. 
Mac
macatak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macatak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 3:49pm
I should add I am replacing old graphics card which was x16 with geforce GT 730 x8 card.
Mac
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 5:08pm
Update your bios, the latest one, 1.80, adds "Improve discrete VGA card vBIOS compatibility".

That should resolve the problem and no, there is no problem installing a x8 card in a x16 slot. You can in fact install any PCIE card in an x16 slot, x1, x2, x4 or x8. 

I hope this resolves your problem.
Welcome to the forums Smile 
macatak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macatak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 5:54pm
Thanks for that. Was hesitant to update bios, not completely confident with the procedure. I will do
 that as your answer sounds good to me.
Before I do can I ask if you know what 5 beeps means at post, then doesn't boot up. I have reseated CPU after checking it clean of dust. I have tried putting old graphic card back in but still 5 beeps and wont boot.  could bios update be the fix for this.
How do I update bios if pc not booting up?
Mac
macatak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macatak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 6:14pm
Confused I suppose I should try and open bios before beeps. Oh dear it getting late here, need some sleep and start fresh tomorrow. 
Mac
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 6:59pm
Try reseating your RAM, also see if you can use your iGPU from the CPU.
macatak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macatak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 7:09pm
Have tried restating ram. Sorry but what do you mean by use the iGPU from the CPU?
Mac
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2015 at 8:18pm
The onboard video with no graphics card installed Wink
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2015 at 1:10am
Originally posted by macatak macatak wrote:

Thanks for that. Was hesitant to update bios, not completely confident with the procedure. I will do
 that as your answer sounds good to me.
Before I do can I ask if you know what 5 beeps means at post, then doesn't boot up. I have reseated CPU after checking it clean of dust. I have tried putting old graphic card back in but still 5 beeps and wont boot.  could bios update be the fix for this.
How do I update bios if pc not booting up?

If you get five beeps at POST, or any number other than one beep, POST did not complete successfully.

If POST did not complete successfully, you cannot get into the BIOS.

Five beeps can mean either No Console Output Devices are found or No Console Input Devices are found .  That means that no monitor is connected, or you have no keyboard or mouse connected.

The five beeps might be an incorrect diagnosis of the problem, but is related to the use of the new video card.

Anytime you change major hardware like a video card, you should clear the CMOS/BIOS before starting the PC. Did you do that while changing the video cards?

Your new video card is a Nvidia chip card, what kind of card is the old one?

You don't need to boot the PC to update the BIOS, just need to get into the BIOS. Xaltar's suggestion to use the integrated graphics on your CPU is a good one, that should allow you to get into the BIOS to do the BIOS update.

What CPU are you using?

The only method available to update your BIOS is Instant Flash, which is an option in the BIOS. That is also the safest method to use. To update the BIOS you need to:

Download the new BIOS file and unzip/extract the file from the download .zip file.

Copy the extracted BIOS file to a USB flash drive. Put the USB flash drive into a USB 2.0 port on the board's IO panel.

When you get into the BIOS and start Instant Flash, it should show you it sees the 1.80 BIOS file. You then simply click the listed BIOS file and then sit back and watch the update being applied.

When complete you should be prompted to press enter to restart the PC. Leave the USB flash drive in the PC until it restarts, no need to remove it. You will then be prompted to go into the BIOS to change any BIOS settings you use or just use the default values.

Instructions from ASRock for using Instant Flash can be found here:

http://www.asrock.com/support/BIOSUI.asp?cat=BIOS7
macatak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macatak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2015 at 4:36pm
Smile  Thanks xaltar and parsec for your help so far.  I cleared the cmos and used onboard graphics and managed to boot up in to the bios.  Left as defaults and exited but windows wouldn't boot up, did a bit of research and changed sata to AHCI from IDE and now Im up and running. 
Now I will attempt to update the bios and install new graphics card.  I am still using bios version 1.00 so should I be updating to 1.50 first or do I just download 1.80? 
Hopefully I work it out and all goes well.

Thanks again for your help.
Mac
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic