ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to limit TDP on B650M Pro RS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sgunn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to limit TDP on B650M Pro RS
    Posted: 02 May 2024 at 12:10am
Hi!

Can someone give me a quick guide on how to limit the TDP on the B650M Pro Rs to 105W in the BIOS?

I have a 7950x, and have read various threads for different motherboards on how to do this, but specific settings for this motherboard would be much appreciated.

Also, I've read some discussions about undervolting. If that's also reasonable to do as well without impacting performance, some guidance on that as well would be appreciated.

From everything I've read, limiting it to 105W dramatically lowers the amount of heat the processor puts out with pretty minor decreases in performance.

Any other suggestions on BIOS settings to change from default would be welcome.

Thanks,

Stephen
M440 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M440 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2024 at 5:22am
Originally posted by Sgunn Sgunn wrote:

Hi!

Can someone give me a quick guide on how to limit the TDP on the B650M Pro Rs to 105W in the BIOS?

I have a 7950x, and have read various threads for different motherboards on how to do this, but specific settings for this motherboard would be much appreciated.

Also, I've read some discussions about undervolting. If that's also reasonable to do as well without impacting performance, some guidance on that as well would be appreciated.

From everything I've read, limiting it to 105W dramatically lowers the amount of heat the processor puts out with pretty minor decreases in performance.

Any other suggestions on BIOS settings to change from default would be welcome.

Thanks,

Stephen

one way is to set it using the 'OC Tweaker' preset.

the other way is to enter the (AFAIR) Advanced-AMD Overclocking-PBO, set PBO to advanced and there appears the field with [mW] units, so setting 105000 is 105 watt limit.

Sure you should undervolt those CPUs - they run cooler and boost the clocks higher with lower power consumption.

You do this by simply setting the undervolt (like -15 ) and stability testing in the OS. If you do this for all cores than you can even do this per core for ultimate chip optimization.

For stability testing i recommend Aida64, because it was the fastest to give desirable results (crash if you undervolted too much!).

Below is written how to set up per core undervolt. Its supraisingly quick and easy to do, because it was enough to run Aida64 for ~3 minutes to check the stability.

asrock b650m/hdv.m2, ryzen 7700x@85watt
sgunnone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sgunnone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2024 at 10:23pm
Thank you so much!
M440 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M440 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2024 at 11:35pm
no problem.

You set the undervolt in the 'Curve Optimizer' menu in the said PBO section.
asrock b650m/hdv.m2, ryzen 7700x@85watt
sgunnone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgunnone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2024 at 8:28am
I have another question. I ran cinebench to get a baseline before I made any changes in the bios, and I noticed that the CPU was being limited to 85 degrees, even though it's a 7950x, which should limit at 95 degrees. Is this a limitation of this board?
sgunnone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgunnone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2024 at 8:40am
Motherboard is on bios version 2.10, and temps were reported by Ryzen Master under Windows 11.
sgunnone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgunnone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2024 at 2:40am
A redditor was able to help. It's funny, it was actually right there in front of me the whole time on the OC tweaker BIOS page. Platform thermal limit. Free form field. Descriptive text is what fooled me, since it says it's for allowing the user to lower the thermal limit. But you can put 95 in to raise the thermal limit and it accepts it and that worked. Cinebench now hovers at around 91 degrees.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic